Coup Leader Willing To Join Government Of Yingluck

george

Coup Leader Willing To Join Government Of Thaksin's Sister

30137325-01.jpg

Coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin. File photo.

BANGKOK: -- The general who led the bloodless coup to topple Thaksin Shinawatra's government in 2006 is willing to join the latter's sister if her party leads the next Thai government.

General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, leader of the Matubhum party, said his party was prepared to join either the Democrat-led government or Pheu Thai-led government after the general election.

"We would like to join the next government even if Pheu Thai leads after the July 3 elections," he told Bernama.

Incumbent Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is the prime ministerial candidate of the Democrats while Thaksin's youngest sister Yingluck is Pheu Thai's premiership candidate. Thaksin is the de facto leader of Pheu Thai.

Matubhum was one of the seven coalition partners in the Democrat-led government before the dissolution of Parliament on May 10.

In this general election, all the seven coalition partners are contesting on their respective party tickets and not on a coalition ticket.

However, Sonthi cited three conditions to join the Pheu Thai-led government: Matubhum is invited to join the coalition, shares the same policies, and Matubhum's committee decides on the matter.

He said Matubhum could accept Pheu Thai because the latter's policies were quite democratic compared to the now defunct Thaksin-led Thai Rak Thai party's policies.

"There should not be any problem if Yingluck practises democratic ways and means even though she is Thaksin's sister.

"If she practises undemocratic ways and means, surely voters will reject her in this general election, (and) thus (she) cannot lead the next government," said Sonthi.

Sonthi said his party wanted to join the next government so that as it could implement its policies, including on education, the economy and solving the southern Thailand problem.

Asked why he used democratic means now by joining the election when he used undemocratic means to topple Thaksin's administration on Sept 19, 2006, he said the coup was launched because the government then was dictatorial.

"The 2006 coup was not to destroy democracy but to save democracy. It was not a democracy government then but a dictator government in economy and Parliament ... giving benefits to certain people only through economic monopoly and control freedom," he said.

Sonthi, who was the Army Chief then, said that without the military interference on Sept 19, the situation in the country might have led to civil war between the Yellow Shirts and the opposite group (Red Shirts) on Sept 20.

"It was my military duty then to launch the coup and solve those problems in 2006," he said.

Sonthi said most of the Thais supported the coup then and some even gave roses to soldiers.

"I use the democratic means to join the election now because my party wants to develop education in order to develop the country's economy and eradicate poverty," he said.

Matubhum is the latest Democrat coalition partner which has indicated its willingness to jump ship and join Pheu Thai if Pheu Thai forms the next government following the rising popularity of the opposition party and Yingluck based on most of the opinion polls conducted by local universities and pollsters.

Prior to this, other coalition partners such as Chart Thai Pattana, Chart Pattana Puea Pandin and Bhumjaithai showed their preparedness to join the bandwagon but Pheu Thai rejected Bhumjaithai's offer due to differences in ideologies.

Asked whether he feared that Pheu Thai may take revenge against him if the party formed the next government, Sonthi said: "I am not afraid because I was not wrong. There are rules of law in this country."

Asked whether there could be possibly another coup after the July 3 general election in order to prevent Pheu Thai from forming the next government if it succeeded in the election, as feared by some Pheu Thai politicians, Sonthi said: "It is impossible because Thais will not agree with a coup this time if voters choose Pheu Thai to lead the next government."

However, he believed such fear was created as propaganda to increase Pheu Thai's popularity during this election.

-- BERNAMA 2011-06-10

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Asked whether he feared that Pheu Thai may take revenge against him if the party formed the next government, Sonthi said: "I am not afraid because I was not wrong. There are rules of law in this country."

There are rules of law in this country, but it seems that nobody's following them. WTFC? :jap:

You know what a fence straddler has in common with a eunuch? No balls.

I find this post confusing. Are you saying that military figures should align themselves publicly with political parties? How silly. Everyone knows they only do that in private.

He said the coup was ordered to rid Thailand of a dictatorial government (controlled lock stock and barrel by Thaksin+family) it had to be to save Thailand---Ha Ha now he would be willing to join in the Yingluck government IF she followed government democratic action... with the family record DOES he trust them ??? or is he getting in on the act for WHAT.??

There are rules of law in this country, but it seems that nobody's following them. WTFC? :jap:

and the rule of law says that a coup is illegal, yet he still led one, then changed the constitution to absolve himself from legal issues, then told the public to accept the coup or the army will stay in power,

It seems this guy will just go with whoever, he has no morals or scruples and should be dealt with for leading the last coup.

and the rule of law says that a coup is illegal, yet he still led one, then changed the constitution to absolve himself from legal issues, then told the public to accept the coup or the army will stay in power,

It seems this guy will just go with whoever, he has no morals or scruples and should be dealt with for leading the last coup.

Totally agree he should be dealt to for leading the last coup. For saving the country from dictatorial scum he should be honoured.

"It was my military duty then to launch the coup and solve those problems in 2006," he said.

I'd like to see the Job Description of the Army head honcho before I take that onboard.

Sonthi said most of the Thais supported the coup then and some even gave roses to soldiers.

So where have the Red Shirts come from then? Why are they protesting? I'm not at all sure that just the majority of Bangkok citizens supported the coup.

And where was the crunch question "Will your party vote for an amnesty for Thaksin?" Odds on the reply?

"Asked whether there could be possibly another coup after the July 3 general election..........." His answer should have been "The coup was to get an election, not upset one."

Is he afraid of PTP? Note that he campaigns in uniform - he has friends, quite a few, you could even say an army of friends.

Those keen to vilify him should remember where the loyalties of the RTA lie - to nation and head of state, not the party of the day. I suspect he may have a lot in common with Henry II's knights.

I wouldn't condemn him for the coup, but I do seem to recall (and my memory may be at-fault ?), that he said afterwards that he would not try to move into politics, at a later stage. I thought that was the right thing, at the time, and may even have said so on TV. He should set a good example, live quietly in-retirement, his time to play a leading-role in the country's affairs has been & gone. <_<

Perhaps Ms Yingluck will shortly reject the offer of his party, to help her into power, as she has BJT ? Or is she less-than-confident about PTP's landslide-victory in the forthcoming-elections ? Is it even her decision, I can't really see a phone-call from Dubai, ordering the party to remain open to the former-general's kind offer. :o

This story is a mildly-interesting side-show, in this election. B)

However, Sonthi cited three conditions to join the Pheu Thai-led government: Matubhum is invited to join the coalition, shares the same policies, and Matubhum's committee decides on the matter.

I didn't know Sonthi had a "whitewash Thaksin's crimes" policy.

Love is in the air.:wub:

Seems to me, alot of folks are trying to hedge their bets. If PM ABhisit was in a good position this chap wouldn't be uttering sweet words of love to a Thaksin sister.

:cheesy: Nice one, gk. More hedges than Hampton Court Maze ! B)

Edited by Ricardo

I'd like to see the Job Description of the Army head honcho before I take that onboard.

So where have the Red Shirts come from then? Why are they protesting? I'm not at all sure that just the majority of Bangkok citizens supported the coup.

The Red shirts have always been there, they were just not called The Red Shirts. They were under several different names, but there was no pressing need to organize them into a much larger pressure group till Thaksin was on the ropes. Once Thaksin decided on revenge he put in place the Reds as a street army coalition similar to TRT as his political machine coalition, to back his Samak play with PPP. Remember the 'TRT War Room' in the Shinawatra building filled with the 111, and assorted visits from street thug leaders to organize against their enemies.

It is rather astounding that Sonthi could say this.... is it some sort of olive branch attempt to let Thaksin appear reconciliatory? Or simply a move of the snout to the trough. Somehow I just can NEVER see Thaksin letting this guy with in arms length let alone getting a piece of the pie.... ever.

Edited by animatic

There were no Red shirts before the coup

Agreed that they didn't wear Red Shirts, but former-PM Thaksin was never exactly short of supporters, who might be willing to defend DL in a forthright physical manner, remember the old man & the 5-year-old at the mall ? B)

There were no Red shirts before the coup

Agreed that they didn't wear Red Shirts, but former-PM Thaksin was never exactly short of supporters, who might be willing to defend DL in a forthright physical manner, remember the old man & the 5-year-old at the mall ? B)

Or the group that invaded the Nation buildings,

essentially group kidnapping.

Or the critic who was beaten up at Pantip Plaza from asking critical questions in public.

Violence to silence opposition has never been far under the surface of the Thaksin political machine.

Edited by animatic

<P>This kind of nonsense could only happen in La La land, a clear demonstration of greed get off one gravy train jump onto another. If Yingluck gets in I fear for this country, civil war and deaths in the hundreds.I suspect they would welcome this guy as an inside to the army as they fear a coup. Many of you I know will say they get what they deserve ( the Thai people ) perhaps but it is so sad this country could be so perfect but am afraid I will not see it in my life time.</P>

However, Sonthi cited three conditions to join the Pheu Thai-led government.

Three is, coincidentally, also the total number of MP's from this Party in the last Parliament.

They are likely to be even more insignificant in the next one with a possibility of having zero MP's.

Is it true that his allegiance is to islam?

He said the coup was ordered to rid Thailand of a dictatorial government (controlled lock stock and barrel by Thaksin+family) it had to be to save Thailand---Ha Ha now he would be willing to join in the Yingluck government IF she followed government democratic action... with the family record DOES he trust them ??? or is he getting in on the act for WHAT.??

For What? For More MONEY.

I wouldn't condemn him for the coup, but I do seem to recall (and my memory may be at-fault ?), that he said afterwards that he would not try to move into politics, at a later stage. I thought that was the right thing, at the time, and may even have said so on TV.

I think Marx summed up this pretty well, "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." :yohan:

Three is, coincidentally, also the total number of MP's from this Party in the last Parliament.

They are likely to be even more insignificant in the next one with a possibility of having zero MP's.

The significance is a psychological win for Yingluck.

The significance is a psychological win for Yingluck.

Unfortunately for Yingluck, when the PM vote is being counted, having zero MP's from a "psychological win", will count for zero.

What this really shows is the the Abhisit coalition is crumbling. Thai politics has always been vindictive, i well remember after the coup and subsequent election that many civil servants just marked time, they worried about who would be their next boss. Remember, promotion in Thailand is not based on merit but on connections.

Now we are seeing all the small parties doing the same, sitting it out until they see which way to jump. Has Sonthi been premature or is he privy to inside information. Just to add to the confusion Sondhi and the PAD are also making conciliatory overtures to PT.

I think the word is out that Abhisit's secret backer (not really so secret), is fed up with his lacklustre performance.