Ex-Thai Rak Thai Member Chaturon Slams Army Chief, Accuses Sansern Of Bullying

webfact

Chaturon slams Army chief, accuses Sansern of bullying

By The Nation

A senior member of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party yesterday slammed the Army chief and Army spokesman over their recent spat with the Pheu Thai Party.

Chaturon Chaisaeng criticised through his Twitter account Army spokeman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd's verbal confrontation with Pheu Thai as "an act of bullying" as well as acting as an "enemy" of the political party. He urged Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha to restrain Sansern.

The Army spokesman has been engaged in a verbal spat with Pheu Thai following a tense confrontation in a Bangkok suburb between the party's ex-MP and two soldiers sent to gather intelligence about drug trafficking.

Chaturon, a former deputy prime minister under Thaksin Shinawatra and a former deputy leader of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, added that perhaps Prayuth himself has forgotten the fact that he is the Army chief. Chaturon questioned the intention of the Army in launching a crackdown campaign on drugs and said it is not really part of the core duties of the Army.

Prayuth should think before he speaks, Chaturon said.

Chaturon also defended the designation of some villages as red-shirt villages as a democratic right, adding there is nothing wrong with it as long as people do not break the law.

Chaturon warned that further political remarks by both the Army chief and his spokesperson will lead to the public viewing the Army as not being politically neutral.

In particular, he cited Prayuth's recent remark that even if Pheu Thai wins, it may not manage to run the country as it will be "ousted".

People are worried about military intervention, Chaturon said. The Army should also declare that it would no longer allow the use of the Army chief's residence for coalition-formation talks like the last time, which led to the formation of the current Democrat-led government. He added that even Chart Thai Pattana leader Chumpol Silpa-acha had admitted just days ago he was forced into joining the Democrat-led coalition government by a certain irrefutable force.

In another Twitter attack, Phumtam Vejyachai, former Pheu Thai secretary, criticised Kaewsun Atibhodi, the former junta-appointed Asset Examination Committee member, for his recent perjury allegation campaign against Yingluck. He called it a smear campaign and said the timing of the move was questionable.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-13

bullying?

man, thats rich coming from the reds

bullying is endemic to their party.........

red shirt village?

soon it will be like a red ghetto and the police will have to seek permission with the headman to go in and arrest someone

there are some things that are commonplace in PC europe that have no place in Thailand

Edited by timekeeper

It is well known that some thais will sell their vote. Chaturon sold his party, representing the votes of many thousands. I wonder what 40 pieces of silver sold for 10 years ago, perhaps it was the standard THB500 per vote.

Like Random, he is confused about the RTA anti-drugs activities. This is a multi-service task force made up of military, police and dept of health officials. Leaving it to the police only fails badly in areas where the police themselves are involved in the drug trade. Nah, could never happen!

The only reason to feel "intimidated" by the work of this unit is fear of what they may uncover.

Edited by OzMick

Yeah, Chaturon.... yo, yo, yo, have the impression they are stirring the <deleted> already... by accusing the army strongman of bullying.. if "i use the whistle, you won't get anywhere" was said to RTA officials... here it would be "flaming"! ;-))

Well it's al about the return of "BadMan" he has to make his comeback to get revenge as soon as possible, then itcould become very uncomfortable in LoS!

!

As far as I understand this incident, in one report it was said that the parliamentary candidate "signalled that he had a gun"; in the other the Army spokesman said that there were seven(?) people threatening the two soldiers with guns. Which of these versions of events is true or believable given the credibility of both the army and the redshirts and the press?

As far as I understand this incident, in one report it was said that the parliamentary candidate "signalled that he had a gun"; in the other the Army spokesman said that there were seven(?) people threatening the two soldiers with guns. Which of these versions of events is true or believable given the credibility of both the army and the redshirts and the press?

Early reports I saw said that 6 or 7 people confronted the soldiers and one of them indicated or showed a gun. Later it was reported that it was candidate that indicated or showed the gun.

As to what people believe, it would probably depend on who they support.

Before responding to what has been said, can I make it clear that I am not a supporter of either of the major protagonists in the Thai election; I do not believe that it will impact my life in any significant way.

What troubles me in this incident and so much else is the fact that there is so much doubt in my mind that any side is telling the truth. The first report where a "signalled" possession of a firearm morphs in the second report to effectively an armed gang who would whistle etc..... sounds too much like the army protecting their masculinity. After all this is an army senior officer who is not going to admit that his guys did not have the balls to face down some civilians; where are the press and witnesses?

Like so much of what appears on here there is no evidence on either side but the story has immense propaganda potential (for both sides- the army can say the redshirts are lawless,the redshirts can say we will protect our people from intimidation - so why do we Westerners who have always had an investigative press accept one or other version without question?

I must admit that, despite my personal dislike for Khun Jaturon, everything Mr. Chaisaeng said is not baseless. He has various points that need to be addressed, dare-I-say even publicised. Some points fall down a little because a PT guy allegedly pulled a gun on a couple of soldiers (even though I think the army were a little petty in announcing it).