Egyptair

zabaleta

Flew BKK-LHR-BKK with them several weeks ago.

The food isn't great, but adequate, they're 'dry' (no alcohol), the planes were modern and comfortable, they have seat-back TV & music, they were lenient over luggage, they're part of Star-Alliance & Cairo is slightly-better than the current experience at Doha.

I certainly wouldn't rave about them but, at the price, I'll be happy to fly with them again.

Flew BKK-LHR-BKK with them several weeks ago.

The food isn't great, but adequate, they're 'dry' (no alcohol), the planes were modern and comfortable, they have seat-back TV & music, they were lenient over luggage, they're part of Star-Alliance & Cairo is slightly-better than the current experience at Doha.

I certainly wouldn't rave about them but, at the price, I'll be happy to fly with them again.

Take some USD or GBP with you and then you can buy a large Heinekin draught for about 5 quid when you transfer.

Also the plane I came to Bangkok on a few days ago only had ancient overhead TV screens so best go prepared with your own in-flight entertainment.

Basically OK for the price.

Also the plane I came to Bangkok on a few days ago only had ancient overhead TV screens so best go prepared with your own in-flight entertainment.

Mine was definitely a new-ish B777-300ER in 3-3-3 with seat-back, both ways BKK-CAI-BKK, although Skytrax said they were using an elderly plane several months ago. But my wife flies with them shortly, and her ticket says it's now an A330 in 2-4-2 configuration ?

Mine was definitely a new-ish B777-300ER in 3-3-3 with seat-back, both ways BKK-CAI-BKK, although Skytrax said they were using an elderly plane several months ago. But my wife flies with them shortly, and her ticket says it's now an A330 in 2-4-2 configuration ?

Yes it's the A-330 for now. I think the fact that the plane was only half-full coming into Bangkok probably explains why.

I flew with them Bangkok London via Cairo both out and return within the last month.

Was the new 777-300 3-3-3 configuration on all legs.

Everything was fine no alcohol as stated.

Best trip I have ever had. Why?

Planes less than half full had 3 seats to myself on all 4 flights!

Now you can't beat that.

This sums up my view of Egyptair's pilot skills.

A Lufthansa jumbo jet speeding toward takeoff was forced to a screeching halt on a Kennedy Airport runway to avoid a catastrophic collision with an EgyptAir plane that made a wrong turn into its path

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/near_miss_on_jfk_runway_kLWyQHsO3KS1ncroiRTx6J#ixzz1Q0duJUwe

• 1 month later...

In reply to a question about ff-baggage-allowances, I just received an email from EgyptAir's Call-Canter, confirming that "-

"The new EyptAir air baggage policy for all our international flights effective from the 1st of Jun 2011 will be as following :

2 pc with max 23 kg EACH /158cm for Economy class in addition to one carry on weighs 08 kilograms with dimension (23*40*55)"

(my bold above)

This is not just for US-flights, but all of their international-flights, and represents a major increase (up-to-46 kgs from 20 kgs previously) in their hold-baggage allowance, which may well be helpful to TV-members, so long as they can fit everything into just two bags. I foresee an increase in those flimsy stripy-bags at check-in ! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ricardo

I flew Egypt Air to the UK as it was cheapest. Flight and service were good (good entertain systems etc..) Compare to the cheap short-haul asiaair type flights i normally take it seemed like first class.

There was one incident i thought was kind of odd. I was flying with my wife and 6 month old son; one of the stewardesses (Egyptian i'm assuming) came over and was playing with my son and then turned to me and asked "Why do so many white men marry asian women"...I kind just smiled it off and said "Yes, i guess, well actually me and my wife met in the USA, so i didn't really come to asia looking for a wife".

She then said in a more serious/demanding tone, "BUT WHY DO SO MANY WHITE MEN MARRY ASIANS!"...hmm...at this point i'm thinking it's pretty strange, and just replied "Well i can't speak for all 'white men', i can only speak to my own particular situation".

And she still continued "IT SEEMS LIKE SO MANY WHITE MEN MARRIED ASIA WOMEN?" almost in an angry tone now, and still expecting some kind of justification from me?

Pretty weird; and I'm not a very sensitive person, but it kind of got under my skin as there seemed to be some kind of racist undertone going on there.

!!!!Focus on baggage weight!!!!

Overweight baggage is very expensive (+/- 40 EUR / KG) over 27 KG

20KG = baggage and 7KG for carry-on baggage ! = 27 KG

erm ... yes ... which explains why I just posted the (confirmed by the airline) news that EgyptAir are now offering up-to-46 kgs (in 2 bags in-the-hold) and 8 kgs carry-on, on all international-flights (not just the USA) , which by my reckoning makes up-to 54 kgs. Isn't that an improvement ? B)

I don't see how you can say Egypt air is a good price check out Jet airways price much lower,and you can get a beer.

True, no good-deals on EgyptAir currently, Jet-Airways or Etihad at 27k-28k seem currently the best for travel this-autumn. B)

I don't see how you can say Egypt air is a good price check out Jet airways price much lower,and you can get a beer.

True, no good-deals on EgyptAir currently, Jet-Airways or Etihad at 27k-28k seem currently the best for travel this-autumn. B)

Interesting your post re luggage allowance in economy.Just did a dummy booking looking for price more than anything but checked fare rules etc and showing allowance at 23 kgs for economy ??

46 kgs is exceptional in economy although Air India allow 35kg.

Went with them once after the food bit No staff went to the back where they were all sitting and asked for a Tonic water to go with my Gin that I had in my bag N/B no problem with that at the time. No have came the reply but if you walk down to First class they have them there. Crap plane, 747 service, food, Reminded me of Thai Air. If they gave me 100kl of luggage wouldn't fly with them again. But that's just me other's might find differently.

Interesting your post re luggage allowance in economy.Just did a dummy booking looking for price more than anything but checked fare rules etc and showing allowance at 23 kgs for economy ??

46 kgs is exceptional in economy although Air India allow 35kg.

Quite.

I had first spotted the change on their web-site, the 'Fly - Baggage' section gives Economy-class "2 pieces" and "maximum weight per piece 23 kgs / 50 lbs", which is a change from January when I booked my May trip.

So I thought it might accidentally be giving US-flight rules in-error, then looked at their ff-site since I just reached Silver-grade, which would previously have given me 40 kgs in Economy (ie 20 kgs extra), up from 25 kgs (5 kgs extra) with a Blue-card, but now gave no extra hold-luggage allowance.

So I sent their call-center an email, to query what the allowance now was, and got back the reply I quote above.

OK it's probably the worst airline in Star-Alliance, soft-drinks-only & unappetising-food, but if one gets a good price (like my B27k BKK-LHR-BKK in May) and now this exceptional hold-luggage allowance, then I'm sure there are other TV-members too who will welcome the chance to carry more shopping home-to-Thailand from Europe.

But since they're not-yet offering good prices on this autumn's low-season fares, compared to Jet (32 kgs London-Bangkok hold-luggage but only 28 kgs Europe-S.E.Asia ?) or Etihad (23 kgs), then one should wait to see how much they drop their fares ! As always, one reads the small-print, and tries to stay up-to-date, in search of the best deal ! B)

Edited by Ricardo