Brother Of Lopburi Bhum Jai Thai Party Candidate Gunned Down In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps your last sentence answers your question, who would know they were there, Bangkok with their so called high profile protection of candidates etc, but I guess your all sure that it had something to do with the red shirts, try thinking out of the box sometimes, no party is clean.

Candidates are being protected. Not canvassers.

Every general election in Thailand features multiple murders of "canvassers". This one is completely in line with the norm and is just the tip of the iceberg.

"Canvassers" (forgot any Western meaning) are fixers who arrange for villages or districts to vote this way or that way and are very well compensated for doing so. There is a high risk factor to the "job" though.

A brother of a Bhum Jai Thai Party candidate for Lop Buri was gunned down in a broad day light in Chanasongkram district on Wednesday. Police believed the attack was politically motivated.

Seeking an expert opinion, one reporter contacted the police at the regional headquarters in Surat Thani, who, without bothering to investigate, emphatically concluded that he died by drowning.

:lol:

Perhaps your last sentence answers your question, who would know they were there, Bangkok with their so called high profile protection of candidates etc, but I guess your all sure that it had something to do with the red shirts, try thinking out of the box sometimes, no party is clean.

Surely in some cases canvassers are with the candidate, obviously not often but I don't see this candidate as being especially high profile and is not going to set Thai politics alight, perhaps this murder may not have been political, no one knows for sure, it is only a probable assumption.:jap:

I think the LAST thing you want to do is be near ANY Thai politicians in the next 3 weeks.

Except Chuan Leek Pai, No rally campaign in Lampang, he visited the local markets, spoke to everyone, listened to everyone (PTP voters included), No visible security protection. My wife told me that a Thaksin addicted family before will vote for Chuan Leek Pai.

Once spoke to him in business class on a Thai airways flight when he was prime minister, no visable security - very pleasant man.

Yellow shirts stepping up thier campain?

:blink:

Nah, if there is hate involved it is the Thaksin camp vs the Newin camp. They have held Newin in the same light as Prem. But they can actively disparage Newin more.

Once Newin cost them access to the trough he was persona non grata. Now with him actively working against their success, even more so.

One has to wonder ;

Why the family was at Kao San Road at that time?

And why someone would know they were to be there?

I can think of traitors being involved.

The most logical choice is PTP and/or Redshirts. Most logical motive.

Not the only one, but certainly the one demanding 1st scrutiny based on historical perspective.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

"Police were alerted at about 2.45pm about the attack which took place near Lottery Bureau of Thailand on Khao Sarn road"

The lottery Office is not in Khaosan Road, it is in the main road about 10 minutes walk away. The pavement is always crowded there with bus queues and pavement sellers. It is also visible from the police box at the traffic lights.

Khaosan road is fairly quiet at that time of day but there would still be plenty of people around. The top end normally has a police presence and both ends are usually clogged by tuk tuks.

My point being that whoever did this shooting either had nerves of steel, were high on drugs, or had been assured they could make a get away.

Afterthought, sometimes personal scores can be settled and conveniently made to look political.

Edited by anterian

Surely in some cases canvassers are with the candidate, obviously not often but I don't see this candidate as being especially high profile and is not going to set Thai politics alight, perhaps this murder may not have been political, no one knows for sure, it is only a probable assumption.:jap:

In some cases the canvassers are with the candidates, and in those cases, the canvassers probably won't get shot.

Most of the shootings attempts so far have been related to personal or business conflicts. One was even in house - CM 51 guy being shot at by other CM 51's (allegedly).

I doubt this was done by the yellow shirts, as stupidly suggested above. Possibly by PTP supporters, but no real evidence to suggest that.

animatic

I can think of traitors being involved.

The most logical choice is PTP and/or Redshirts. Most logical motive.

Not the only one, but certainly the one demanding 1st scrutiny based on historical perspective.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

If it was proved to be PTPor anyone associated with them ie; the red shirts don't you think the negative publicity not counting the political repercussions would be a price too high for removing a canvasser, not even a candidate, perhaps just perhaps there are other interests playing here and could be responsible.

My gut feeling is/was that PTP are most likely involved but would not rule out a conspiracy to blame them.

My wife told me that a Thaksin addicted family before will vote for Chuan Leek Pai.

Only if they move to live in the south of Thailand where he is an MP.

I believe he is a party list candidate not tied to a single constituency.

TH

I think the LAST thing you want to do is be near ANY Thai politicians in the next 3 weeks.

It would be safe to say do not go near any large gatherings or anything related to politics for the few weeks or more

I work in a hotel that has had 3 International PM's visit in as many weeks not to mention the numerous Ministers from various Thai depts........ take bulletproof pants to work

Except Chuan Leek Pai, No rally campaign in Lampang, he visited the local markets, spoke to everyone, listened to everyone (PTP voters included), No visible security protection. My wife told me that a Thaksin addicted family before will vote for Chuan Leek Pai.

Chaun was the best PM this country has seen in my 24 years here. I may be crazy, but I believe that he is an honest man.....

Hear hear.. I second that....

PRE-ELECTION VIOLENCE

Vote canvasser shot dead on Khao San Road

By The Nation

Bhum Jai Thai worker from Lop Buri slain by lone gunman; wife also injured

Increasing political violence in the run-up to the July 3 poll has seen another death - with a key canvasser working for the Bhum Jai Thai Party shot dead in Bangkok yesterday in broad daylight. Two women, including his wife, were wounded in the shooting.

Chana Songkhram police are looking for the lone gunman, who sprayed five shots at Suban Jiraphanwanich, his wife Oraphin and aide Chanutphorn Phothisamphan, after approaching them in the busy Khao San Road tourist area.

Three bullets hit Suban, chairman of the Lop Buri Provincial Administrative Organisation, in the head. The remaining two hit the women, wounding them slightly.

The gunman was seen fleeing on a waiting motorcycle. He is about 170 centimetres tall, and was unmasked but wearing a blue shirt with long sleeves and a pair of blue jeans. The getaway rider wore a black jacket, black slacks and full-face helmet.

Footage from security cameras obtained by police show a likely third assailant, acting as a scout who was following Suban immediately after he left his van and walked towards a clinic, before being shot. There are no details about this man's identity or clothing.

Suban was canvassing for Bhum Jai Thai candidates in all three key constituencies in the Central province, where Chart Thai Pattana and Pheu Thai MPs hold half the seats. Suban and his father Kamol had recently changed allegiance from Chart Thai Pattana to Bhum Jai Thai.

Mallika, a sister of Suban, is also running in Constituency 2 under the Bhum Jai Thai banner, against a heavyweight rival - Pheu Thai's Suchart Lai-namngern - but Bhum Jai Thai is not competing for Constituency 3 because it could not find a proper candidate.

Political pundits, reacting to Suban's death, agree that Bhum Jai Thai will face an uphill battle in the remaining days of the run-up, without Suban's help and connections. They refused to comment on who might be behind his killing.

Kamol, an 11-time MP under Chart Thai, an ally of Chart Thai Pattana Party, is expected to help with the Bhum Jai Thai campaign and that of his daughter Mallika.

In Bangkok, police are monitoring the situation in eight of the 33 constituencies where political campaigning by rival parties is intensive. A police-mediation seminar is planned to ask all candidates to employ positive and productive measures during their rallies and visits.

The head of the police centre handling security measures during the run-up, Pol General Phongsaphat Phongjaroen, said officers were discussing with political parties the replacing of vandalised election signboards with new ones, to prevent the public and the media from believing an excessive number of boards had been damaged.

There are now 352 candidates under police protection, usually by two officers at their request.

One in the deep South has a guard of 10 policemen. A force of 11,030 will be stationed at all poll booths in Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-17

I saw this on the news this morning, it was interesting, the nonchalant attitude in the reporting as if this is totally normal and expected. Right after the campaigning started, the news talked about the vote buying has started, known hit-men are coming into Bangkok and candidates signs being destroyed. There is no indication that there should be any cause for alarm, as this seems to be business as usual. Personally I would stay away from any political rallies, or anybody that looks like a candidate or even anybody that is passing out some kind of leaflet or brochure.

I would like to think that a politician is doing what they do for the good of the kingdom, and if so in this case died a hero. RIP, better luck next time.

I like Khun Chuan Leek Pai very much. When he was a Prime Minister I sent him a letter, he answered and I still saved his note. I will urge everyone to check him out . I myself have no knowledge about Thai politicians since I never have a chance to follow them or read newspapers except the Economist. I am not in Thailand so it is not fair for me to praise or criticize anyone who is public servants from far away. If I want to analyze them I have to do more as such gathering the information, survey, public opinion and etc. My take and opinion.

Is it really necessary to drag out all the tired, old, cliches and stereotypes about Khao San Road?

Political violence in Thailand would seem to be the topic...

Pretty clear that all the posters talking about Khao san rd. didnt read the whole article.

From what i read, the guy was gunned down at the Lottery office, so from memory i thought that was in a adjacent street?

I doubt whether any backpackers would have even realise it happened

Maybe he was there collecting a lottery win, hmmm turns out he wasnt so lucky :ermm:

Makes you realise how much of a "lucrative" business getting into political positions in Thailand is...if they are so willing to kill to do it.

Not only here, but everywhere in the world, there needs to be a new system of incentive for politicians to actually do the job of making good decisions for the people and the for the future, rather than just lining their own pockets.

Monetary incentive has only continued to foster self interest and breed corruption here, and of course in our western countries we have been quite adept at building a legalised version of corruption to enable the rich and powerful to keep riding on the backs of the hungry poor.

I dont want to sound like one of the tin hat wearers, but the greed we are feeding in the human race will eventually eat up society from the middle and probably destroy the earth and everything in it

:unsure:

what else can you say but ...Oi Somchai, oaw eeek nueng kuat bia leo :burp:

Police to release sketch of gunman who killed Bhumjaithai canvasser

LOP BURI, June 17 – Provincial police are releasing a sketch of the gunman who killed a key Bhumjaithai Party canvasser in Bangkok during the daytime Thursday, the latest victim of political violence ahead of July 3 general election.

Eyewitnesses described the gunman who shot Suban Chiraphanwanit to police artists Friday.

The chairman of the Lop Buri Administration Organisation was gunned down at point blank range in Trok Mayom near Khao San Road in Phra Nakhon district. His wife, Oraphin, and secretary Chanutphon Phothisamphanwong, accompanying him, were also shot and wounded.

Mr Suban was an elder brother of Mallika Chiraphanwanit, a Bhumjaithai constituency candidate in Lop Buri. The police initially believe that the motive for the shooting involved local and national politics.

Plainclothes police are gathering information in Bangkok and Lop Buri, and surveillance camera records in the area have been inspected. Police will convene a meeting Friday afternoon to examine evidence.

The latest killing occurred just after police warned that the use of violence has been on the rise in every area with multiple tactics, such as slander of rivals and using new media to attract eligible voters.

Samut Prakan, adjacent to the capital, was identified earlier this week as Thailand’s most likely province for political violence following the May 10 shooting of opposition Pheu Thai Party candidate Pracha Prasopdee, who sustained minor injuries.

Of 77 provinces nationwide, seven are considered ‘red zones’ with a high potential of violence and 21 provinces as 'orange zones’ with a medium-risk of disorder, according to Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongcharoen, a senior police adviser.

Provincial Police, Region 5, in charge of the upper northern region, said 57 candidates including 17 Democrats and 13 from the Pheu Thai Party have sought police protection.

The Royal Thai Police earlier this month said a total of 228 candidates from 10 political parties requested police protection ahead of the upcoming election on July 3. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-17

Police to release sketch of gunman killing Lop Buri Provincial Administration Organisation head in Bangkok after inspecting surveillance camera records /MCOT

stick_man_with_pistol0.jpg

Holy Crap!!!..... I know who it is!

"You looking at me?.. eh eh?..... You looking at me??"

I like Khun Chuan Leek Pai very much. When he was a Prime Minister I sent him a letter, he answered and I still saved his note. I will urge everyone to check him out . I myself have no knowledge about Thai politicians since I never have a chance to follow them or read newspapers except the Economist. I am not in Thailand so it is not fair for me to praise or criticize anyone who is public servants from far away. If I want to analyze them I have to do more as such gathering the information, survey, public opinion and etc. My take and opinion.

I loved the way you started your post by saying you wrote him a letter and received a reply, then went on to say you have absolutely no knowledge of Thai politicians.

The real trouble will start after the elections (again)

Sadly, I think you are spot on. Maybe time to take a six months sebaticle away from Thailand and return once the blood shed is over.