Tablets

redsox44

Are you talking about the Acer Iconia A500 tablet? If so, I think it is 15,900 (not sure if 16 GB or 32 GB)? How do you know what the wholesale price is? Maybe COGS are "a mere 9,000"? But wholesale might be closer to 12,000-ish?

A local review. ---> http://www.bloggang.com/mainblog.php?id=joker-master&month=28-05-2011&group=2&gblog=73

The 16 GB version if $450 USD at Best Buy.

Looks nice...

Edited by lomatopo

Are you talking about the Acer Iconia A500 tablet? If so, I think it is 15,900 (not sure if 16 GB or 32 GB)? How do you know what the wholesale price is? Maybe COGS are "a mere 9,000"? But wholesale might be closer to 12,000-ish?

A local review. ---> http://www.bloggang....roup=2&gblog=73

The 16 GB version if $450 USD at Best Buy.

http://www.thaivisa....cer-iconia-tab/

Looks nice...

I know a wholesaler and I just got one for 9,000 Baht, 32GB model. Wanted to check it out prior to buying so I looked at it an an Acer outlet. Going price, 16,900 baht

Edited by redsox44

I know a wholesaler and I just got one for 9,000 Baht, 32GB model. Wanted to check it out prior to buying so I looked at it an an Acer outlet. Going price, 16,900 baht

Can you share any details re: your wholesaler? Usually the local Acer subsidiary would be the sole importer and wholesaler.

FWIW, there was a special promotion at the recent Hi-End Mobile Expo here where the first 100 people got an Acer Iconia A500 Tab (16 GB) for 9,900. I think it's safe to say that this special promotion was "below cost", and meant to generate local interest, and have some of those 100 people spread the word? (Samsung gave away 5,000 Galaxy Tab 10.1s at the Google IO conference last month in SF!)

Here's a snap of the queue and the promo:

post-9615-0-24814800-1308485828_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-63090600-1308485848_thumb.jp

Can you share any details re: your wholesaler? Usually the local Acer subsidiary would be the sole importer and wholesaler.

FWIW, there was a special promotion at the recent Hi-End Mobile Expo here where the first 100 people got an Acer Iconia A500 Tab (16 GB) for 9,900. I think it's safe to say that this special promotion was "below cost", and meant to generate local interest, and have some of those 100 people spread the word? (Samsung gave away 5,000 Galaxy Tab 10.1s at the Google IO conference last month in SF!)

Here's a snap of the queue and the promo:

If I gave away the person's name and or his ability to get product at actual dealer cost I would loose not only a very good friend but a conduit to great buys. But trust me the tablet I got is an original product. Like others have stated there's a market so dealers will ask top price, period. One would fall over if they actually knew the actual dealer cost for the newest Samsung laptops selling for around 50,000 baht. Personally I think anyone is crazy to buy computers and or related support product here.

haven't bought any major electronic item in Asia in the past five years. prices are much cheaper in my (usually very expensive) home country.

now as the Baht is very strong, most items are AT LEAST 20% more expensive than in my home country were I can find plenty of giant retail-mega-marts selling at rock-bottom prices (PLUS the warranty on the products in fact IS a genuine warranty)

If I gave away the person's name and or his ability to get product at actual dealer cost I would loose not only a very good friend but a conduit to great buys. But trust me the tablet I got is an original product. Like others have stated there's a market so dealers will ask top price, period. One would fall over if they actually knew the actual dealer cost for the newest Samsung laptops selling for around 50,000 baht. Personally I think anyone is crazy to buy computers and or related support product here.

I wasn't looking for a name, and I do trust you. I was simply trying to understand where your friend fits in the distribution chain. Does he buy directly from Acer? What kind if sale volume does he do with Acer (typically, channel discounts are based on volume). You said you paid 9,000 baht for a 32 GB Acer Iconia A500 tablet. Is that what your friend paid? Other than wanting to be friends with you, what was his impetus for giving up ~ 7,000 baht in profit?

The 9,000 baht "wholesale" price sounds low to me. And the manufacturer/subsidiary typically dictates suggested retail sale price, and COGS on a 32 GB unit are (my SWAG) 8,500 - 9,500, ex-RoC.

Anyway, how do you like it?

I'm trying to figure out if it is better to get a 3G-capable tablet. But I am leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi-only. I may try to buy one in the U.S. on my next trip, if there are any left.