Tiger Boxer 250 Vs Yamaha Sr 400

pokerkid

I am thinking to buy a tiger boxer 250 because I can not find a legal, reasonably priced sr400.

I just would like to know how both bikes compare (roadholding,vibrations,comfort etc). Back home I used to drive a sr500 so know what that sr is like.

It looks to me that the tiger has a frame and swingarm that are more rigid and it also has higher quality suspension and brakes. So I expect it to be more stable in corners and more comfortable to drive.

I've rode two different Tiger Boxers with each modified to suit their owners.

If I didn't mind single's vibration I would have given the bike a good hard look. Both bikes were comfortable in their own way (Charlie's was easier to muscle around since it had better bars but mbox's was less buffetting at speed due to not being spread like superman). IIRC in the last 3 years Charlie has managed to put some 60 000 km on his bike so longevity doesn't seem to be an issue.

Roadholding and comfort for distance can be summed up in the ride that mbox and I undertook to Umphang; over 1000 km with 1/3 (?) on Thailand's twistiest road and he had nary a complaint. Mbox said he's had over 250 kg on the bike and it ran well enough also.

Tiger's service is, from what I've read about, above and beyond anything else offered by a manufacturer in Thailand. Parts and/or repair teams have been dispatched to owner's residences to correct any issues. Having said that, quality control seems to be hit or miss for the factory. Some owners get their bikes without any issues. Other's have small niggling problems that crop up (seems the latest is something about the rear brake line). If you are looking for the single rumble, save some money, and are mechanically inclined (to give the bike a once over upon receipt), than Tiger Boxer will do you fine.

[And don't forget the new honda CBR250 :

http://www.motorcycl...?showtopic=2193

Much more expensive but quality of manufacture is high.

Let us please try and keep the cbr 250 out of this topic. I have driven the cbr and i do not like the driving position.It is too much forward for my taste and I have a bad back. That is why i try to compare to the sr.

OP

If you are a rider experienced with the twisties, you'll know that tires are a very telling factor. Those aside, we must recall that the 400 has 9 more HP, and that changes the equation. I've just ridden the Boxer, but agree with the impressions you post. While it lacks (relatively) in power, it handles v. well indeed. In fact, from looking at pictures of the 400, I'd guess that the Tiger - due to its rake and the rider's position to the handlebars - is a handier bike. Suspension is its outstanding virtue, I believe. My sense is that one would steer the 400 and curve the Tiger around bends. But again, I'm just guessing about the 400.

Just now, the new Boxer 250 models are out of production while they try on fuel injection and perhaps a few other changes. Those 2'nd hand bikes I've seen offered are usually young enough and have few enough miles to still qualify for warranty coverage - 3 years or 30,000kms. Personally, I'd insist (as is always my belief) in a thorough test ride. Clutch and transmission operation are often a matter of personal preference.

Edited by CMX

Maybe I can help you out a bit. I had a Tiger Boxer 200ST ( the model before the 250) and now I have a Yamaha SR400 (registered).

First of all, let me start by saying that I love both bikes. The Tiger was an excellent daily workhorse, very good handling, low consumption and a very fun ride. I only had issues in the beginning with loose screws and low quality plastics. I heard the new 250 is much better in that respect. Vibrations were never an issue for me. The riding position was very comfortable and the seat soft enough for longer trips. If I didn't need the money to buy the SR, I would still ride it.

The SR is a great bike, too and I love every bit of it. Again, vibrations are much less than I expected. Fuel consumption is higher than I expected, but that's due to my carb setting. Handling is not as good as the Tiger's, mainly due to the weight. This could be improved by installing larger "tracker" handlebars, I guess. When I got it, it had the original seat and I felt like I could ride on forever, but since forever is too long for me, I changed to a harder seat. biggrin.gif Registered SR's start around 80.000 up to 120.000+, depending on the amount of parts installed. Pratchinburi books are easier to get, but not very desirable. Bkk books are rare and sold quickly. Check srthailand.com and thaiscooter.com for bikes for sale.

hope this helps...if you need more info, just ask

good luck

post-47052-0-29862300-1308669618_thumb.j

Can you tell me more about the difference in power between the sr 400 and the boxer. I know you had a 200 model but i would like to know if there is a lot of difference. Also what is the fuel consumption on your sr.

Maybe I can help you out a bit. I had a Tiger Boxer 200ST ( the model before the 250) and now I have a Yamaha SR400 (registered).

First of all, let me start by saying that I love both bikes. The Tiger was an excellent daily workhorse, very good handling, low consumption and a very fun ride. I only had issues in the beginning with loose screws and low quality plastics. I heard the new 250 is much better in that respect. Vibrations were never an issue for me. The riding position was very comfortable and the seat soft enough for longer trips. If I didn't need the money to buy the SR, I would still ride it.

The SR is a great bike, too and I love every bit of it. Again, vibrations are much less than I expected. Fuel consumption is higher than I expected, but that's due to my carb setting. Handling is not as good as the Tiger's, mainly due to the weight. This could be improved by installing larger "tracker" handlebars, I guess. When I got it, it had the original seat and I felt like I could ride on forever, but since forever is too long for me, I changed to a harder seat. biggrin.gif Registered SR's start around 80.000 up to 120.000+, depending on the amount of parts installed. Pratchinburi books are easier to get, but not very desirable. Bkk books are rare and sold quickly. Check srthailand.com and thaiscooter.com for bikes for sale.

hope this helps...if you need more info, just ask

good luck

Edited by pokerkid

Obviously the SR has more power...the Tiger reaches it's limits earlier than the Yamaha, but all in all the difference is not that big.

I think you should make your choice based on some of the following questions:

- Are you going to use it in a village/city/Bkk? ====> Tiger, perfect handling for congested roads and short trips

- Are you going to use it on medium and long distance trips? ===> SR, although many report having done long trips on the Tiger without problems...ask mbox

- is having an electric starter important? ====> Tiger

- is having a 100% legal bike important to you? ===> Tiger, SR's, even with green books, are not 100%

- is having a bike with a 30 year history and HUGE following important to you? ===>SR

- do you like to work on, modify and customize your bike? ===> SR, loooots of after-market parts available

Anyway, choosing a bike is not so much a matter of numbers, but of heart, imo