For Ducati Multistrada Fans

visions

Not an attractive bike. Plus it would be nice if the commentary stuck to the facts and avoided the derogitory/inane comments.

Maybe not attractive, but great review... made me want one!!!

...and what do you mean avoid derogitory/inane comments... they're Aussies, they (we) can't help it. That's what made the review so good!

Not an attractive bike. Plus it would be nice if the commentary stuck to the facts and avoided the derogitory/inane comments.

You don't like the looks of the multi? I think it's an amazing looking bike... And wow can they handle! This is on STOCK tires!

post-56035-0-34909700-1308835684_thumb.j

post-56035-0-44672900-1308835703_thumb.j

I know many of us like to joke about Ducati reliability but my friend Renzo took his multi touring in Laos and even dropped it in the Mekong but it still made it back in one piece.

Awesome bike!

I've watched a fair few reviews of the Multistrada and all of them can't praise it highly enough, I'm still a relative beginner still pottering along on my CBR 250R but if I could have any bike it would be the Multistrada

Edited by skybluestu

You don't like the looks of the multi? I think it's an amazing looking bike... And wow can they handle! This is on STOCK tires!

post-56035-0-34909700-1308835684_thumb.j

post-56035-0-44672900-1308835703_thumb.j

I know many of us like to joke about Ducati reliability but my friend Renzo took his multi touring in Laos and even dropped it in the Mekong but it still made it back in one piece.

Awesome bike!

I agree with you Tony and check out thePikes Edition that is about to come out:

DucatiMultistrada1200PikesPeak1_800.jpg

DucatiMultistrada1200PikesPeak2_800.jpg

DucatiMultistrada1200PikesPeak3_800.jpg

DucatiMultistrada1200PikesPeak6_800.jpg

Edited by Garry

The Pikes Peak Special Edition is the one I'm saving for, should have enough $$$ by my 50th birthday....in 2025!

It's to celebrate Ducati's win in last years Pikes Peak Hill Climb and they'll be back again this year

Might give it a go on my CBR :)

Noticed a 'Ducati Udon' dealer's stand in Robinsons' shopping centre yesterday? Much as I wanted to stop & drool awhile I was bringing wifey home from the hospital and she was waiting in the pickup!

• 2 months later...

OK, so I couldn't wait till Christmas... Placed my order today!

Pick up my new Multistrada next week... Probably have to wait till Christmas before I can afford to eat again though!

Will post some photos next week!

(Tony, do you still have the GPS coordinates for that off road area near Min Buri?)

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the new Multistrada Thursday night... off to Nakhon Sawan two up in the pooring rain, but what an amazing bike!

Put 650km on it over the weekend, it's gotta be the most most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Not exactly built for the vertically challenged though... I'm 6'2" and I have trouble throwing my leg over it! But once you master the mount/dismount, it's an extremely natural riding position. Passenger seating is extremely comfortable, though almost lost her off the back a couple of times under fast acceleration:-)

You certainly notice the difference when you switch from 100hp in Urban mode to 150hp in Touring mode! Slipper clutch is beautiful to use, and the suspension is like silk. Hit a few ruts on the Nakhon Sawan - Kamphang Phet road that I expected to be positively jarring, but took them in it's stride without flinching. Wasn't game to even touch Sport mode in the foul weather on the way up, and I wanted to get to know the bike before I did! Tried out Sport mode on the way back today... amazing! 140 to 220kph without blinking (and still more to give, but fast enough for me!), and rock solid on the road.

Went out yesterday to deliver rice and water to flood isolated homes... one of the pickups that we used to take the supplies out went back while we were still out in the boat, complete with with my gear... had to ride the 30km back in the rain sans helmet, jacket and shoes... luckily I had my sunnies to keep the rain out of my eyes. Talk about feeling like you're riding naked! Even in bare feet, the gear shift and brake are light and easy.

By the time I got back into the Bangkok traffic, I felt like we had been together for years... for the monster it is, the option of on the fly riding modes to adjust engine output, throttle response, suspension settings, ABS and Traction Control to suit the conditions, it's a dream to ride!

The handlebars are about 3cm wider than my Vulcan, but they're high enough that they clear the average car mirrors. (The Ducati side cases are even wider than the handlebars, so definitely not suited to around town.) I got the Sport version, but ordered the cases as an option. (waiting to come from Italy.) I was originally planning on the red until I saw the white, it's more a silver pearl white than a pure white... love it. Also waiting for the full race exhaust and ECU to come back into stock in Italy. By the time I finish with the options, it will have cost more that the house we are building! (Seriously!)

As promised, a few photos...

Cheers.

post-120815-0-76497100-1316940733_thumb.

post-120815-0-27939500-1316940789_thumb.

post-120815-0-76411200-1316940822_thumb.

Maybe not attractive, but great review... made me want one!!!

...and what do you mean avoid derogitory/inane comments... they're Aussies, they (we) can't help it. That's what made the review so good!

ROFL was just going to say that. They're Aussies, what do you expect?

To quote one of my favorite movies of all time: "As everyone knows, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals".

I want this bike. Obviously. :D

Picked up the new Multistrada Thursday night... off to Nakhon Sawan two up in the pooring rain, but what an amazing bike!

Put 650km on it over the weekend, it's gotta be the most most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Not exactly built for the vertically challenged though... I'm 6'2" and I have trouble throwing my leg over it! But once you master the mount/dismount, it's an extremely natural riding position. Passenger seating is extremely comfortable, though almost lost her off the back a couple of times under fast acceleration:-)

You certainly notice the difference when you switch from 100hp in Urban mode to 150hp in Touring mode! Slipper clutch is beautiful to use, and the suspension is like silk. Hit a few ruts on the Nakhon Sawan - Kamphang Phet road that I expected to be positively jarring, but took them in it's stride without flinching. Wasn't game to even touch Sport mode in the foul weather on the way up, and I wanted to get to know the bike before I did! Tried out Sport mode on the way back today... amazing! 140 to 220kph without blinking (and still more to give, but fast enough for me!), and rock solid on the road.

Went out yesterday to deliver rice and water to flood isolated homes... one of the pickups that we used to take the supplies out went back while we were still out in the boat, complete with with my gear... had to ride the 30km back in the rain sans helmet, jacket and shoes... luckily I had my sunnies to keep the rain out of my eyes. Talk about feeling like you're riding naked! Even in bare feet, the gear shift and brake are light and easy.

By the time I got back into the Bangkok traffic, I felt like we had been together for years... for the monster it is, the option of on the fly riding modes to adjust engine output, throttle response, suspension settings, ABS and Traction Control to suit the conditions, it's a dream to ride!

The handlebars are about 3cm wider than my Vulcan, but they're high enough that they clear the average car mirrors. (The Ducati side cases are even wider than the handlebars, so definitely not suited to around town.) I got the Sport version, but ordered the cases as an option. (waiting to come from Italy.) I was originally planning on the red until I saw the white, it's more a silver pearl white than a pure white... love it. Also waiting for the full race exhaust and ECU to come back into stock in Italy. By the time I finish with the options, it will have cost more that the house we are building! (Seriously!)

As promised, a few photos...

Cheers.

Sorry, I should have resized the images before I posted them... reposted below for those without a 50" monitor!

While I'm at it, a further update on the joys of Multistrada ownership... rode it to work today... the wide handlebars are more than compensated for by it's agility! It's only 20kg heavier than my Er6f, and the short wheelbase and tight turning circle, aided by the leverage of the wide handlebars and upright seating position, make it amazingly agile in tight spots. I could believe how easy it was to get around in the Monday morning traffic. Even managed to climb a curb with ease to get around a snarl of buses blocking the left lane waiting to turn right into Lat Phrao from Rachada this afternoon. Pure joy to ride!

Cheers.

post-120815-0-74363900-1317041987_thumb.

post-120815-0-01152700-1317041968_thumb.

post-120815-0-46904500-1317042007_thumb.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the review/pics, looks like the ideal bike for Thailand. I've been dithering on what to get here since I sold my 'Busa in Singapore. I had it for ten years since new and great for Malaysian roads but less than ideal for the potholes and grit on the Thai roads. I'm currently living in Chiang Mai but looking to relocate to Hua Hin next year so the versatility of the Multistrada should come in handy.

I'm heading down to Perth in a couple of weeks so intend to get a road test there - not sure how it will feel with the high and wide bars after all the years with my ass in the air but I'm 64 so maybe it's time to sit up and enjoy the view.

Any feedback on the electronic gismos' reliability would be appreciated.

Cheers

Jag

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the review/pics, looks like the ideal bike for Thailand. I've been dithering on what to get here since I sold my 'Busa in Singapore. I had it for ten years since new and great for Malaysian roads but less than ideal for the potholes and grit on the Thai roads. I'm currently living in Chiang Mai but looking to relocate to Hua Hin next year so the versatility of the Multistrada should come in handy.

I'm heading down to Perth in a couple of weeks so intend to get a road test there - not sure how it will feel with the high and wide bars after all the years with my ass in the air but I'm 64 so maybe it's time to sit up and enjoy the view.

Cheers

Jag

Thanks Jag,

The Multisrada is certainly well suited to the wide variety of conditions available in Thailand, as well as to what mood you're in at the time!!!

Mine's only a week old, so hard to provide personal commentary on the gizmos, but the model is now in it's second year, and I haven't seen any bad reviews or read any issues on the Multisrtada forums, so hope that means good things! One review I did read recently made the point that while it's loaded with electronics, all of the underlying technology has been well proven on the race track and/or available in production models of various breeds for a number of years. What is different with the Multistrada is just how they have linked them together in a logical manner.

I have certainly experienced no difficulty from a user perspective. The controls are very logical and easy to use. Switching between riding modes is very simple to do on the fly, as is adjusting the suspension settings for various load conditions. The only one thing that I have noticed is that the remote key device doesn't like to be right next to my phone. A couple of times I have had to move it to a different pocket or the other side of my bum bag.

I'm sure a test ride won't dissapoint, nor will the riding position, just as long as your joints can handle the mount/dismount, though I find climbing on from the right side foot peg like mounting a horse is a more practical method than swinging a leg from a standing start!

Cheers..

Hi Tim,

Cheers

Jag

Thanks Jag,

The Multisrada is certainly well suited to the wide variety of conditions available in Thailand, as well as to what mood you're in at the time!!!

Mine's only a week old, so hard to provide personal commentary on the gizmos, but the model is now in it's second year, and I haven't seen any bad reviews or read any issues on the Multisrtada forums, so hope that means good things! One review I did read recently made the point that while it's loaded with electronics, all of the underlying technology has been well proven on the race track and/or available in production models of various breeds for a number of years. What is different with the Multistrada is just how they have linked them together in a logical manner.

I have certainly experienced no difficulty from a user perspective. The controls are very logical and easy to use. Switching between riding modes is very simple to do on the fly, as is adjusting the suspension settings for various load conditions. The only one thing that I have noticed is that the remote key device doesn't like to be right next to my phone. A couple of times I have had to move it to a different pocket or the other side of my bum bag.

I'm sure a test ride won't dissapoint, nor will the riding position, just as long as your joints can handle the mount/dismount, though I find climbing on from the right side foot peg like mounting a horse is a more practical method than swinging a leg from a standing start!

Cheers..

Yep, looks like I may need to take some yoga lessons before I try to mount up......

I had a nose around the UK forums and there seems to be a problem with the clutch slave cylinder sticking which could be a bit scary in the wrong circumstances but they should have sorted the bugs out by now.

Cheers

Jag

... snip

Awesome bike!

Ya, love it... And its the non-duc owners who seem to bring all the knowledgeable laugh.gif commentary. Ducati, like all makes can have their factory issues, as bikes are built/parts vendors sought to meet a schedule, and bottom line based on a globally competitive market. And its not as if the historical, recent and even current Kawa/Hon/Zuki/Ha engine barfing, frame cracking, cam chain tensioner eating, regulator melting recalls don't exist...

my 03 999 mono was bought new in 03 and sold with just under 20k Miles [50k Km or so] last year was completely reliable, and saw hard use in daily commuting and track & canyon redline runs. The heads were never off, cases never opened. awww, i miss the 'ol YellerDuc! Garry, when ya ponying up for the 1199? I'm ready for another of Borgo Panigale's finest.

The Pikes Peak Special Edition is the one I'm saving for, should have enough $ by my 50th birthday....in 2025!

It's to celebrate Ducati's win in last years Pikes Peak Hill Climb and they'll be back again this year

Might give it a go on my CBR :)

I met one of Ducati's Pikes Peak winners, Alex Smith - son of The Malcom Smith - the first year Ducati won the Peak - on air-cooled, desmodue [2-valve] Hypermotards! Was riding my Duc 999 in Angeles Crest one fine morning and Ducati NA had unloaded a semi-trailer full of motards at Newcome's for free rides around the mountain. It was a Good Day.

Edited by bbradsby

• 3 weeks later...

Full Termi exhaust and race ECU fitted to the Multi today... now that's how it should sound when it comes from the factory!

Also got kitted with crash bars, alarm and full luggage... no smart comments about the top case... it's not pretty, but it's functional.

Besides, you'll only ever see it from the back!!!B)

Cheers.

post-120815-0-57005800-1319028686_thumb.post-120815-0-71373500-1319028698_thumb.

• 3 months later...