Working And Living In Bkk

Guest deltakid

Guest deltakid

Hi,

I can get a really excellent job early next year for a design studio in Bangkok.

1. I was just wondering if there is a way that is not as much stress than the one described here 10 steps to One Year Work permit and visa to get my working visa? I'm 24 and have a university degree if that helps somehow.

2. The company is big enough and market leader in their area, therefore the requirements aren't a problem. I also heard they have to pay me a minimum wage of 50 000 Baht every month, is that true?

3. How long does it take from the application of a working visa until I can really work?

4. I have been in Bangkok now three times and the first time it was a nightmare - too much impact, noise, smells, traffic and so on. The second one was better and the last time it seemed to be somehow alright. The first time i nearly broke down because it freaked me out hahaha. It seems that i get used to the impact on my senses Bangkok has on me. Can anyone who lives in Bkk confirm that?

5. I would also like to know a good area to stay that is not too far away from silom (max 15 min with taxi in normal traffic) and where i might get a nice place for 20 - 30 000 Baht. (fully furnished and with adsl)

Would be great if someone can give me some adive!

Edited by deltakid

I am not qualified to answer your questions. Although I do know minimum wage depends upon nationality.

I refer to your comments about Bangkok. I visit Bangkok on the occasions I need to pay my respects to Immigration. Otherwise once a month for one night to enjoy a decent pint of guinness and stock up at Foodland/Villa Mkt (as you're new to Thailand I'll explain it's where you stock up on decent foods from the old country). I don't know ANYONE who would choose to live in Bangkok unless they have to because of work (or an addiction to the nightlife which frankly soon becomes boring). It is ugly and polluted. On the other hand I now know only one person who lives there - he has to because of his work. Maybe one or two of the other 19,999,999 (figure picked out of the air, so no need to correct me) residents will disagree with me.

I suggest old retired f*rts like me would soon succumb to respiratory diseases.

We have enough to worry about waiting for the liver to pack up due alchohol. Not that we are alcholic: we all have medical certificates as proof. :o

1. Have someone else do the leg work - either company or law firm.

2. The minimum wage varies by location but in Bangkok is under 200 baht per day. There is no requirement to pay you more. The requirement you are thinking about is to be able to extend your stay at immigration and that is indeed in the 50k range (depending on your nationality). It is not a work permit requirement.

3. Believe it can vary by location with several weeks being quoted by some.

4. Bangkok is a working city without the clean but sterile atmosphere of Singapore or the rush of Hong Kong and providing something for everyone. Some hate it but many others love it.

5. Post in the accommodations forum.

Lop,

Are you sure your interpretation of regualtions corncerning minimum wage are correct. As I previously said I am unqualified to comment on this matter but if nothing else I am an avid reader of this site and quote:

22-07-03

Minimum wages for foreigners hiked

Companies have until July 10 next year to increase the wages of foreign employees to new minimum rates, Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office, told the Gazette yesterday.

The new minimum monthly wage rates, which vary according to nationality, will be:

• Japanese, Americans and Canadians: 60,000 baht (currently 40,000 baht).

• Europeans and Australians: 50,000 baht (35,000 baht).

• South Koreans, Taiwanese, Singaporeans and Hongkongers: 45,000 baht (35,000 baht).

• Malaysians: 45,000 baht (30,000 baht).

• Indians and people from the Middle East: 35,000 baht (30,000 baht).

• Mainland Chinese, Indonesians and Filipinos: 35,000 baht (25,000 baht).

• Burmese, Laotians, Vietnamese, Cambodians and Africans: 25,000 baht (20,000 baht).

• Journalists working for newspapers: 20,000 baht (12,000 baht). Wages of journalists working for magazines and other media are categorized by nationalities.

Capt Krissarat said, “If companies don’t [increase their foreign workers’ wages] because they don’t want to pay their employees more money, they will have problems when they pay tax and when renewing their employees’ visas or work permits.”

Source: Phuket Gazette

Guest deltakid

anyone can answer me some of the other questions maybe?

what are good places for us farangs to live in bangkok? are there even some? :o