Medical Insurance

vultureintree

I have investigated Blue Cross Insurance and it seems that after a certain age, I think 65, they won't insure me anymore for hospital coverage.  Assuming one lives to be 86, is there any medical insurance available in Chiang Mai?

Why would you need medical insurance in Thailand? I had a hernia operation in Chaing Rai 5 months ago for $225 That included 2 nights in the VIP suite ($60 per night). This was a full on operating room procedure with general anethetic.

I have investigated Blue Cross Insurance and it seems that after a certain age, I think 65, they won't insure me anymore for hospital coverage.  Assuming one lives to be 86, is there any medical insurance available in Chiang Mai?

Yes and No. No, not correct wrt age 65 with Blue Cross. And yes, BUPA will cover you for life. BUPA is one of the few medical insurance companies that will cover you for life. Not only in Thailand but on your travels worldwide except the USA where coverage is for accidents only.

For BUPA life coverage you must sign on or before age 60, and remain covered thereafter. That's why I have been with Blue Cross for ages. Just google 'Blue Cross Thailand' and then check the fine print near the bottom of their pdf on 'Personal Cover'.

If you are over 60, hmmm....

Thai schools and businesses, if they do insure you, will use an agency where your coverage diappears at around age 70, when you are most likely in need of coverage, which is why I have personally paid for BUPA, despite 'free' medical coverage by the schools with their friends' companies.

Take care...

Been with BUPA, followed by BUPA International and now Blue Cross for over fourty years. Currently suffer from several chronic medical problems, all of which are covered by Blue Cross without question. My premiums are about 70K per anum for their top rate of cover. Annual claims for the last five years have averaged over four times the premiums, ie. 300K.

I could never get this level of cover elsewhere.

Part of BUPA Thailand's website:

"We offer a 24 hour cover confirmation service for impatient admissions"

Don't you just love Tinglish? :o