Third Region Army Finds No Violent Red-Shirt Units In North

webfact

Third Region Army Finds No Violent Red-shirt Units in North

The third region army said they have found no red-shirt villages in the northern region of Thailand.

They added that soldiers will be sent to observe and gather more information in the area.

General Wanthip Wongwai said the army inspected the bomb explosion at Kavila Camp in Chaing Mai Province following a report about the existence of a red-shirt village, which is believed to be housing violent units.

General Wanthip said the army inspected 17 provinces in the northern region and found no violent units as had been reported.

He said the people in several provinces such as Chaing Mai, Chaing Rai, and Lum Pang provinces only put up red flags in front of their homes to show their support for the red-shirt group.

He said such actions are not against the law.

He added that soldiers will be sent to the area to exchange ideas and opinions, while he reiterated that the purpose of the observation is only to gain more information about the northern region.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-06-23

footer_n.gif

Well with every tuk tuk and sorngtow having red flags, all the Chiang Mai market stalls the same I'm surprised there was any more red cloth to be found for the villages.

Exaggerate much?

I would say that MOST tukTuk's (my BF took one to the airport on Monday that had no red/PTP stuff) and maybe 30% of the songtheaw sport red flags (or PTP logos) as for shops ... only a small percentage around me have anything red around them. (The SomTam shop at the corner of Arak Rd at the moat behind the "red' hotel and Wat Phra Singh has red flags ... one house in my neighborhood does. .... MANY houses are sporting the Thai flag and the King's flag (or the Thai Flag and the Buddhist flag). Chiang Mai Ram is sporting the Thai flag and the Queen's flag. The small military benefits camp in the old city has the same 2 flags)

(note --- all of this is in Central Chiang Mai within the moat or just outside of it.)

Uptownbob ---- nope. I can't see the future. The reds have been violent in Chiang Mai in the past but who knows what will come out of the elections! If PTP somehow manages to cobble together a victory outright then it'll probably be a party, if the Dems manage to form a coalition government excluding PTP it could get ugly! If there is violence between now and then and/or the army interferes it may be out of control.

Well with every tuk tuk and sorngtow having red flags, all the Chiang Mai market stalls the same I'm surprised there was any more red cloth to be found for the villages.

Exaggerate much?

I would say that MOST tukTuk's (my BF took one to the airport on Monday that had no red/PTP stuff) and maybe 30% of the songtheaw sport red flags (or PTP logos) as for shops ... only a small percentage around me have anything red around them. (The SomTam shop at the corner of Arak Rd at the moat behind the "red' hotel and Wat Phra Singh has red flags ... one house in my neighborhood does. .... MANY houses are sporting the Thai flag and the King's flag (or the Thai Flag and the Buddhist flag). Chiang Mai Ram is sporting the Thai flag and the Queen's flag. The small military benefits camp in the old city has the same 2 flags)

(note --- all of this is in Central Chiang Mai within the moat or just outside of it.)

Uptownbob ---- nope. I can't see the future. The reds have been violent in Chiang Mai in the past but who knows what will come out of the elections! If PTP somehow manages to cobble together a victory outright then it'll probably be a party, if the Dems manage to form a coalition government excluding PTP it could get ugly! If there is violence between now and then and/or the army interferes it may be out of control.

It was tongue in cheek but my daily visit to the local markets, on Mrs Changers orders for her cooking emporium, there are a lot of red flags on the stalls. Very few of the bars in my area, Loh Kroh/Tapae Rd would dare to show them as they already have visits from the Bangkok based police that seem to be here in large numbers. A lot of people have already gone to "visit friends" in Bangkok as travel will be nigh on impossible for Thai people after the election if things look ugly. Mrs Changers is doing a quick trip home to Surin this weekend due to this possibility.

Last year (the riots in Bangkog time) I took friends of Germany to the Night Market in Chieng Mai. No tuk tuk, they listened their radio station. We walked. Night Market dead, no customers.We walked home to our guesthouse.

The future of Thailand?

Last year (the riots in Bangkog time) I took friends of Germany to the Night Market in Chieng Mai. No tuk tuk, they listened their radio station. We walked. Night Market dead, no customers.We walked home to our guesthouse.

The future of Thailand?

Friends of Germany....there was just the three of you then ? :D

Just kidding, I like Germans, even if they did bomb our chip shop. Good job you didn't take the friends of France, you'd have been pretty lonely. :whistling:

On topic...it might not be against the law to display a red flag outside your house, but I bet the army has noted down where they are. :o

Edited by WeeGB

The third region army said they have found no red-shirt villages in the northern region of Thailand.

No red shirt villages in northern Thailand? Where are they, then? South of Thailand? Either something got lost in translation or it's another pee-poor written article.

Actually, it's in reference to stories of "red shirt villages" created in Issan. Yes, the article could have used more background but then perhaps the writers assume people read the news regularly. Google is your friend if you are unaware of the background.

Actually, it's in reference to stories of "red shirt villages" created in Issan. Yes, the article could have used more background but then perhaps the writers assume people read the news regularly. Google is your friend if you are unaware of the background.

Reuters was the news that started this article and it was about villages a long way from Chiang Mai. I was being playful which is an emotion a lot of readers here seemed to have forgotten. Now smile laugh.gif

Reuters was the news that started this article and it was about villages a long way from Chiang Mai. I was being playful which is an emotion a lot of readers here seemed to have forgotten. Now smile laugh.gif

I guess those in Isaan (North East by any government document I have ever seen) should feel some kind of pride that they have been associated with the North. They are obviously on the way up in the world.

I guess those in Isaan (North East by any government document I have ever seen) should feel some kind of pride that they have been associated with the North. They are obviously on the way up in the world.

20 Km North, East and West is Isaan as far as Bangkok is concerned. The elite do not travel well.

20 Km North, East and West is Isaan as far as Bangkok is concerned. The elite do not travel well.

I equate Ayuttaya with the Watford gap. North of that they get a nose bleed

Do you think anyone who wanted to show any other colour would be allowed, By the way I live in Chiang Mai and there is a lot of red but not as much as you insinuate.

So ther's no elite in Chiang Mai? Is that what you are saying. Get out more is my advice to you. By the way I live in Chiang Mai.

:lol:

Watford Gap is the end of the world! laugh.gif

No South of Sheffield is the end of the world. laugh.gif

Went to Sheffield once, up near Scotland somewhere isn't it? :)

To a south-Londoner, the North bank of the Thames is 'Up North', except for a couple of trading-enclaves in the City-of-London & Westminster, to which we commute by train Mondays-to-Fridays ! :D '

:lol:

No South of Sheffield is the end of the world. laugh.gif

Same same. Watford Gap is south of Sheffield!

Who do you think runs the Puea Thai Paty in Isaan & Chiang Mai? It sure as hell ain't the rice farmers.

Yingluck is about as elite as you can get.

I doubt she's ever seen the inside of a BIG C store!

Who do you think runs the Puea Thai Paty in Isaan & Chiang Mai? It sure as hell ain't the rice farmers.

Yingluck is about as elite as you can get.

I doubt she's ever seen the inside of a BIG C store!

Yep, the regional-elites deliver their power-block votes, and TRT put enough of them together to form a majority. And it's not the rice-farmers who will get (most of) the benefit, from the promised high-subsidies for rice, but the middle-men, who just happen to be the regional-elites.

Same as it ever was ! B)