Spelling Of English Names

mijan24

Can one of the more learned brigade please assist with the spelling of:

Brian &

Edward

I have a sample of Brian but it has raised much discussion amongst some Thais which revolves around the an or oun sound eg.

brian or brioun when converted to Thai. ไบรอ้น

Edited by mijan24

Although not onreo of the learned brigade, I'd say ไบรน would be enough although there will be a problem pronouncing the final consonant.

If you wanted Bri an maybe ไบรอาน. not sure how you say brian though.

Edward - I'd guess แอดวร์ด

Just saw the previous post and that looks good.

Edited by Neeranam

Brian ไบรอัน

Edward เอ็ดเวิร์ด

Hmm, those are OK but they're not very beautiful, are they! "เอ็ดเวิร์ด" looks particularly unlucky. Can't you "punch them up" a little? Maybe throw a silent consonant or two in there?

Brian ไบรอัน

Edward เอ็ดเวิร์ด

Hmm, those are OK but they're not very beautiful, are they! "เอ็ดเวิร์ด" looks particularly unlucky. Can't you "punch them up" a little? Maybe throw a silent consonant or two in there?

LOL... I know what you mean. (The ไบรอัน one especially tickles my eyeballs! :o ) But these are the common spellings and most likely to be recognized by Thais, as they're used in the Thai publications & websites (eg. Manager and Pantip). Other spellings would just look weird (to the Thai eye)

เอ็ดเวิร์ด [This may be the correct transliteration but it doesn't mean it's the best.SIZE=7]เวิร์ด[/size] to me sounds funny, like the way a Thai native speaker pronounces Edward. Like Ed 'werd'. maybe I say the name wrong, due to my accent.