Marriage Visa -Retirement Visa

wally1k

Marriage Visa --Retirement visa

Besides the 400000THB in the bank yearly what are the advantages and disadvantages

I read somewhere you can apply for a work permit??

Thanks for the feedback

W

Edited by wally1k

Yes, you can apply for a work permit but I have never heard of either visa helping you get one.

Retirement visa is less trouble to get, you can do it by yourself with much less paperwork plus you can get it when you want, not when she is in the mood.

Hi the retirement visa/extension is processed the same day whereas the marriage visa paperwork has to go to BKK and you need to do a second visit a month later. No home visits etc either. By far the way to go IMO if you can meet the age and financial requirements. Would think a WP is impossible though.

The paperwork for the extension of stay based on retirement is much easier, but the financial requirements are higher and you cannot apply for a work permit.

The extension of stay based on marriage is much more paperwork, but you can apply for a work permit.

The paperwork for the extension of stay based on retirement is much easier, but the financial requirements are higher and you cannot apply for a work permit.

The extension of stay based on marriage is much more paperwork, but you can apply for a work permit.

The paperwork for an extension of stay based on marriage isn't really all that bad. The first time around the process is more involved but paperwork for subsequent extensions isn't too much of a hassle.

One important difference to be aware of is that with the retirement visa you can use a combination of income and bank deposit to make up 800K whereas with the marriage visa it is one or the other to make up 400K. I think many government pensions are in the 400 - 500K range so for anyone in this situation a retirement visa is the better choice, unless you want to find work and hence need to get a work permit.

Yes, you can apply for a work permit but I have never heard of either visa helping you get one.

Retirement visa is less trouble to get, you can do it by yourself with much less paperwork plus you can get it when you want, not when she is in the mood.

An extension??? wink.gif

I'm not retired, but reading that you have to have 800k baht in the bank is silly.

How was that magical number agreed upon? Are you suddenly more responsible with 800k than if you only had 500k? What about if you have 800 million baht, any special perks?

And what if the baht tanks and your 800k is worth only 80% of that, or less. Do they take that into consideration?

It would seem to me that having health insurance and perhaps a clean police report that should be the determining factor, instead of a number they pulled from thin air that you are to have in the bank. I can't imagine in today's world that everyone has 800k extra to toss in a Thai bank, yet they are financially capable of living here just fine.

Oh well. If I'm lucky, by the time I retire it will have been raised to something I can't afford. :blink:

I'm not retired, but reading that you have to have 800k baht in the bank is silly.

How was that magical number agreed upon? Are you suddenly more responsible with 800k than if you only had 500k? What about if you have 800 million baht, any special perks?

And what if the baht tanks and your 800k is worth only 80% of that, or less. Do they take that into consideration?

It would seem to me that having health insurance and perhaps a clean police report that should be the determining factor, instead of a number they pulled from thin air that you are to have in the bank. I can't imagine in today's world that everyone has 800k extra to toss in a Thai bank, yet they are financially capable of living here just fine.

Oh well. If I'm lucky, by the time I retire it will have been raised to something I can't afford. :blink:

You are asking the question to the wrong people.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Marriage Visa certainty is a strange maze of paperwork, pictures,foreign affair stamps, interviews, and translations. Also you can not apply for one in Chiang Mai .You can hang out in Bangkok while you wait or trip off to Lao, Cambodia or Malaysia to apply. Then back to CM for the extension.

Anything amiss and you'll be back again to try again.(like in my case :o)

...Work permit maybe possible you may not qualify Unless you have a degree and want to be a low pay English teacher, most other things will be very hard to find work permits for. Of course if your investing in a business with 4 or more employees then that's a different thing.

Good post, but don't use logic it gets wasted here. TIT wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

The world is a very large place with so many deadbeats , if Thailand had no strict rules it would be even more awash with aging indigents. Please review the " help a broke, elderly farang" thread. One must ask what the heck they are doing broke in a developing country with so many Thai residents in need.

Thailand certainly doesn't need any more of this " in need ,broke farang" types and by having the system where the farang must have done something in 50 plus years of life , to have earned and saved 800,000 baht nest egg is very reasonable, in fact a deal!. If the farang has less than funds needed for say a emergency surgery(800,000baht) then they really need to be in their own country .Living the "Life of Riley" in tropical paradise splender is not some human right but a choice for both the farang and the Thai authorities with the Thai's calling the shots ,,simple as that..

The line has to be drawn somewhere ,as far as the amount ,so just be happy it is not three million baht or say five million that would be a real problem for many farangs.

Edited by yesterday

Marriage Visa certainty is a strange maze of paperwork, pictures,foreign affair stamps, interviews, and translations. Also you can not apply for one in Chiang Mai .You can hang out in Bangkok while you wait or trip off to Lao, Cambodia or Malaysia to apply. Then back to CM for the extension.

...Work permit maybe possible you may not qualify Unless you have a degree and want to be a low pay English teacher, most other things will be very hard to find work permits for. Of course if your investing in a business with 4 or more employees then that's a different thing.

well, don't know why you had such a problem... I (we) did not. No strange maze, nothing had to be translated, one "interview" at our house by immigration officers - for the original visa first time - who were more interested in the sister-in-law than they were in me, and it was indeed done here in Chiang Mai (almost 2 yrs to the day). Yearly extensions have been painless and i personally enjoy having the wife with me to do all these things cuz she speaks thai, does all the correct posturing for the higher-ups, and i just smile like the friendly water buffalo that i am!

The world is a very large place with so many deadbeats , if Thailand had no strict rules it would be even more awash with aging indigents. Please review the help a broke, elderly farang thread. One must ask what the heck they are doing broke in a developing country with so many Thai residents in need.

Thailand certainly doesn't need any more of this " in need ,broke farang" types and by having the system where the farang must have done something in 50+ plus years of life , to have earned and saved 800,000 baht nest egg is very reasonable, in fact a deal!. If the farang has less than funds needed for say a emergency surgery(800,000baht) then they really need to be in their own country .Living the life of Riley in tropical paradise splender is not some human right but a choice for both the farang and the Thai authorities with the Thai's calling the shots ,,simple as that..

The line has to be drawn somewhere ,as far as the amount ,so just be happy it is not three million baht or say five million that would be a real problem for many farangs.

Yes indeed, I recall the thread you mention.

As I recall it was about ONE farang, not a multitude and who am I to judge how this person's circumstances became dire.

However, having said that I do see your point to a certain extent.

I wrote on a previous thread that I thought an income of $1,000 + a decent health package + enough for an emergency ticket home should be the requirement IMO. It's only an opinion, based on living here many years. I know people who the Thai government allow work permits to, who only earn 20,000 baht but survive, so to me this seems incongruent with the retirement amount and let's not forget retirees are not necessarily 90 year olds on their last legs, the retirement age is just 50.

I also know people who have money coming out of their ears that live here....good for them.

Personally, I meet the Thai requirements with comparative ease, but I feel fortunate that I do and I certainly do not look down on those that could live here quite comfortably, but are unable to meet what I consider OTT requirements.

Indeed, be happy that it's not three million......from a Thai perspective......otherwise a lot of money that currently goes into the economy will not be there any more.

Edit: A married guy with kids, disabled in-laws, a sick buffalo and a brother in law with a permanently broken motorbike, only needs just over $1,100 a month.....are they deadbeats?

Perhaps the amounts required should be the other way around - what do you think? wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

well, don't know why you had such a problem... I (we) did not. No strange maze, nothing had to be translated, one "interview" at our house by immigration officers - for the original visa first time - who were more interested in the sister-in-law than they were in me, and it was indeed done here in Chiang Mai (almost 2 yrs to the day). Yearly extensions have been painless and i personally enjoy having the wife with me to do all these things cuz she speaks thai, does all the correct posturing for the higher-ups, and i just smile like the friendly water buffalo that i am!

The original type 0 'marriage' visa cannot be applied for in Chiang Mai, if you are here on a tourist visa or waver but the retirement visa they can do.. they also will do the one year extensions.(Do not know about 2 years ago).. My divorce papers (original) from the states had to be translated and notarized into Thai and stamped in Bangkok, as did my Thai marriage certificate into english and stamped by the foreign affairs again in Bangkok.. Since my wife changed her name to my last name it also had to sent to Foreign affairs for the stamp..Not to mention the statement of income and free to marry a Thai from the US embassy. Another stamp in Bangkok. Add family pics, interview, home interview, Bank letter and bank last day statement.copies of bank book....map to the house.. I did not find that to be a easy straight forward process....

The original type 0 'marriage' visa cannot be applied for in Chiang Mai, if you are here on a tourist visa or waver but the retirement visa they can do.. they also will do the one year extensions.(Do not know about 2 years ago).. My divorce papers (original) from the states had to be translated and notarized into Thai and stamped in Bangkok, as did my Thai marriage certificate into english and stamped by the foreign affairs again in Bangkok.. Since my wife changed her name to my last name it also had to sent to Foreign affairs for the stamp..Not to mention the statement of income and free to marry a Thai from the US embassy. Another stamp in Bangkok. Add family pics, interview, home interview, Bank letter and bank last day statement.copies of bank book....map to the house.. I did not find that to be a easy straight forward process....

I was here on Non-immigration type O visa (multiple entry), not a retirement visa, not a tourist visa. I too was previously divorced, but the wife and i were married in USA and she had changed her last name to mine - passport and national ID card - in previous visits to LOS. Anyways, i never had to have my divorce papers translated at any point, never provided any bank statements (made statement at US embassy as to income), no copies of bank book, but did have to do a map to house. Yes, the papers were all sent from CM to Bangkok for final processing and i had to return 30 days later to get the official stamp..... maybe it was just luck of the draw or the wifes ability to handle the officials... i have heard from friends here who did their marriage visa (yes, in CM) about their problems with yearly renewals and i have yet to encounter a single "problem"...really, everything has been straightforward and easy for me. Lucky me, i guess

I have previously had long stays in England (2 yrs), Australia (3 yrs) and Brasil (8 yrs and became a permanent resident)... and i don't find this place any better or any worse in terms of govt bureaucracy. Hell, in my own country, USA, i felt a lot more hostility in a govt. office every time the wife and i went down for passports or anything to do with immigration in USA. Fortunately my previous employment for government gave me an ability to deal with paperwork and fine print.

In my case arriving with a tourist visa and getting married here, there were a few more hurdles. I think everything required translations and stamps to provide documents to US authorities should any need arise (like death or arrest) as the Thai government would not be interested in translation for themselves but to provide to other interested parties.

. I agree the good ol US of A, is not easy to deal with for visa applications for Thais and others. But since the question was about the relative merits of the type o marriage or retirement visa ( especially once you are here and living in Chiang Mai area ) I thought my very recent experience in this should be shared...More than once I thought I should have gone the retirement visa route....

Putting aside all of the hassle of initial paperwork and bureaucracy to establish a marriage visa, I have a simple question .....Does anyone with their experience of Thailand politics and immigration, believe that a marriage visa outweighs a retirement visa for a person married to a Thai lady, providing they have the ability to provide evidence of income for either visa based upon the following criteria/question.....

...Do TV readers believe that there is an advantage politically, of having a marriage visa over a retirement visa being married to a Thai, if the authorities have to choose between the two visas for those who can remain here should everything go pear shaped and reject the stay of certain types of non immigrants"O" visa holders?

Many Thanks

Edited by Raindancer

Yes you can, that's where I get mine

...Do TV readers believe that there is an advantage politically, of having a marriage visa over a retirement visa being married to a Thai, if the authorities have to choose between the two visas for those who can remain here should everything go pear shaped and reject the stay of certain types of non immigrants"O" visa holders?

Many Thanks

Will never ever happen, but if did then of course all those in that hypothetical scenario would simply change to a marriage visa.

Yes you can, that's where I get mine

After 2009 ?...You converted a tourist visa to a type O 'marriage visa at Chiang Mai immigration ? I have only heard that have been willing to convert to type O retirement visas and sent others to Bangkok....I wonder what was different in your case. Maybe it's just amazing Thailand ...