Can Thai Society Ever Be Freed Of Corruption?

webfact

You, (Thai People) are currently educating you kids. You are educating them to be corrupt. I know teachers that will take money for better grades. And this is a Thai school not international. This country will be corrupt after my 16 year old is long dead and gone. You either turn a blind eye, or move to another country.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

corruption... lets take policitions in Euroland... they pay them 15.000 euros (600.000+ baht) per month + a lot of expenses (car, housing, transport, hotel, restaurant, ...) so they would not be corrupted by ...

and guess what happens...those same people also take major bribes in the form of stocks or salaries in big companies to do as good as nothing, expect return some favours...

so how to end corruption ?

GREED is not a Asia problem . is a international problem .

we name it with all kinda fancy words .

but the Core remain the same .

Let face it . Human is losing it humanity

we are becoming worst then animal .

GREED is not a Asia problem . is a international problem .

we name it with all kinda fancy words .

but the Core remain the same .

Let face it . Human is losing it humanity

we are becoming worst then animal .

Ah, yes, but the Thais have it down to a fine art. Like fishing by using a stick of dynamite and a net. Ham-fisted, overt scamming of the general public and any / all tourists is a great way to have guests portray your country when asked about Thailand. ;)

<br />Thaksin did indeed try to tackle corruption. It may well have been in order to feather his own nest but at least he tried to do something.<br />I was interviewed by a special task force set up by him at Suan Plu trying to track down corruption amongst the immigration police. He also tried to take on the army and reduce their stranglehold. He should be applauded on both counts as police corruption and army interference are where the problems stem from.<br />It was this that led to the elite, who were feeling the pinch, getting rid of him anyway they could.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thaksin fought corruption - you made me laugh, thanks!

Thaksin did indeed try to tackle corruption. It may well have been in order to feather his own nest but at least he tried to do something.

I was interviewed by a special task force set up by him at Suan Plu trying to track down corruption amongst the immigration police. He also tried to take on the army and reduce their stranglehold. He should be applauded on both counts as police corruption and army interference are where the problems stem from.

It was this that led to the elite, who were feeling the pinch, getting rid of him anyway they could.

Immigration police - he was embarassed when it was revealed that a known terrorist was crossing regularly into Thailand.

Army - his attempts to change the promotion list had nothing to do with corruption. He was trying to install/promote family and cronies as a means of securing his position, some think even darker reasons.

He not only tackled corruption, he became a master of it - I'm amazed some uni hasn't awarded him an honorary doctorate!

Or the hub of corrupt corruptors :lol:

Thaksin did indeed try to tackle corruption. It may well have been in order to feather his own nest but at least he tried to do something.

I was interviewed by a special task force set up by him at Suan Plu trying to track down corruption amongst the immigration police. He also tried to take on the army and reduce their stranglehold. He should be applauded on both counts as police corruption and army interference are where the problems stem from.

It was this that led to the elite, who were feeling the pinch, getting rid of him anyway they could.

Thaksin should be applauded for fight corruption? lolol Really?

Thaksin was never in favor of fighting corruption. His doings were to transfer all the money into his pocket rather than the many.

He just wanted to centralize it with him self being in the center.:jap:

Considering the people and events that must take place to successfully prosecute someone for fraud, the question I have concerns whether the legal system in Thailand could support the effort. I just reviewed some of the trial notes and commentary on the Rod Blagojevich Trial and his eventual conviction 5 years later

and wonder if this could, in the best of times, happen in Thailand. Considering the number of people that were involved in the approval for wire tapping, the time and care it took in gathering the evidence, the number of people involved in the case that kept all this quiet until just before the arrest, the number of witnesses that were interviewed, and the number of Federal attorneys and scribes that were involved in preparing the case all seem substantial. At the core of this is the public and political intolerance for graft and greed something that Thailand seems to lack. And even if someone tried to prosecute a case like this, who along the way would 'lose' evidence or pay for witnesses or disrupt the process for personal gain? Would the effort have the determination to see it through or would it fall apart somewhere along the way?

1.one party stated that they will purchase those factories produce core chemical for fabricating YaBa from India and China.

Very stupid idea.!!!! it isn't the real solution. dont know how they could come up with it.

2.Another promised the minimum price of a commodity , grain @ BTH 20,000/2,000 liters. the selling price in a retail shop will be 2 time higher than it is now. nope!!!!

3.plus texis' & farmers' credit-card very Very bad idea.

all these to gain Votes. = 29% in private sec. + Bt200 and 300 billion in public sec.

Thai and Khmer's philosophy is "likewise"

I know Cambodia and I have no doubt. the Chinese communist party is very serious 'bout corruption. though very little info. about the Filippines but they are notorious.

Democracy is all fine and well, but for it to work the way it must work requires political literate citizens. As for Thailand by observing Thai politics from the sideline for the past fifty years Thai citizen’s political literacy has not made much headway. Fifty years ago based on discussions with Thai citizens I gave it 30% political literacy today 2011 going to be generous will give it 40% political literacy.

So what do we have today 2011 in Thailand, we have a country with 60% citizens that are political illiterate and these 60% citizens are allowed to cast a vote who will next be to run Thailand and with 60% that constitutes a MAJORITY resulting in Thailand being run by/for political illiterates. Twenty years ago a country predominantly political illiterate was not too great a hindrance to establish a screwdriver twisting assembly industry. But second decade 21st century things are changing, the screwdriver twisting assembly industry is on its last legs and by the middle of the second decades it more or less will be in its dead throw. Result, people looking for a place to establish a business will not even have Thailand on their radar screen. Trying to discuss this with Thais, Thais who I have been associated with for some fifteen and more years all it does is arouse their farang animosity to the point that things they have to do for which they are paid they conveniently forget about doing their assigned job and the more frequent they are reminded, the more they circumvent it. All of it of course with one of the baker’s dozen Thai Smiles.

Scorecard wrote, in several posts on this topic :

Several lecturers (pt members) regularly hand out red shirt materials and CDs to the students and they have told the students that if they didn't support the red shirts they will fail

In one promotion cycle one of his army family members jumped 5 ranks. Nothing said anything, because nobody dared to challenge him, hardly democracy.

He threatened to sack the entire police force...... Greatest laugh ever.

Can you also share some links or other details on these claims. I'm particularly interested in which University these lecturers work. Thanks.

1. "He threatened to sack the entire police force" was posted by another member, I just quoted it in a reply.

2. You seriously think I'm going to publically reveal the name of my son's university?

I will say that it's not of the high profile 'famous' institutes. It is highly recognized for the subject which my son studies, which doesn't attract a high volume of students, but for many subjects: Economics, Accounting, Engineering and more it's way down the Thai rankings. I'll also mention that the students have gathered many petitions to complain about teachers, the administration, the president, etc., but nothing ever results. And my understanding is that all of this is common in many Thai universities.

Edited by scorecard

do you not think for 1 second all ts phone calls are being taped, and for all you reds have to say,funny or not funny seh dang got hit when he said when ts says its over its over.cold and to the point blind and deaf take the bait.dems will be in govt end of story.we are guests dont fool yourselfs ever never ever.this is thailand.

Several lecturers (pt members) regularly hand out red shirt materials and CDs to the students and they have told the students that if they didn't support the red shirts they will fail

In one promotion cycle one of his army family members jumped 5 ranks. Nothing said anything, because nobody dared to challenge him, hardly democracy.

Can you also share some links or other details on these claims. I'm particularly interested in which University these lecturers work. Thanks.

1. "He threatened to sack the entire police force" was posted by another member, I just quoted it in a reply.

2. You seriously think I'm going to publically reveal the name of my son's university?

I will say that it's not of the high profile 'famous' institutes. It is highly recognized for the subject which my son studies, which doesn't attract a high volume of students, but for many subjects: Economics, Accounting, Engineering and more it's way down the Thai rankings. I'll also mention that the students have gathered many petitions to complain about teachers, the administration, the president, etc., but nothing ever results. And my understanding is that all of this is common in many Thai universities.

Ever considered that this could be your son's excuse for his poor grades or if he is getting good grades, an opportunity to swindle some money out of you?

Unless his teacher/lecturer actually told you in explicit terms that he will give your son better grades in return for some tea money, you can't be 100% sure can you?

like i said like it or lump it

Ever considered that this could be your son's excuse for his poor grades or if he is getting good grades, an opportunity to swindle some money out of you?

Unless his teacher/lecturer actually told you in explicit terms that he will give your son better grades in return for some tea money, you can't be 100% sure can you?

Thaksin was never in favor of fighting corruption. His doings were to transfer all the money into his pocket rather than the many.

This thread was asking a rhetorical question as to whether Thailand would ever be free of corruption. How did it get hijacked to become another Thaksin bashing thread?

like i said like it or lump it

like it or lump it .this is thailand

This thread was asking a rhetorical question as to whether Thailand would ever be free of corruption. How did it get hijacked to become another Thaksin bashing thread?

Because he is the master in corruption

Corruption was known about and generally accepted and ignored by the populous for decades (if not centuaries if we include feudal times). The issue now is that it is becoming more and more of a hot potato that "parties" (or more so their "camps") keep throwing at eachother. As media becomes more widespread and harder to control with more internet users and technically savy young, things must reach a head.

The problem (perhaps) now that it IS a real issue for the up and coming middle classes and even the less educated but internet capable masses - because they read that it is so. With such corruption top to bottom, there are only a few outs (historically at least) - and none are particularly pleasant - revolution, dictatorship/opprerssive regime (usually following whatever displaced it) or invasion.

Dictatroship and then overthrow is the long winded and most painful way perhaps, and in modern times invasion is unlikely - however, revolution could be a possibility here - uprising in BKK of the Red Shirts was not too difficultly orchestrated with some choice words and promises - with the right words and a leader people would follow for "love" (as opposed to handouts) and a gift of the gab, who knows?

Alarm bells should be ringing in the present leaders' (all parties) heads right now - and cleaning house as publically as possible (at least within the police and civil service) should be a priority, as should directing cash away from polical pockets and into grass roots projects (like education and health). A strong leader and a wise cabernet is needed now to save us all from tomorrow's outcomes due to today's complacency.

Good point.

I my self was following the thread and some one had introduced into it that Thaksin had been fighting it and there was less of it under him. It was only natural to try to discredit that idea .

To get back to the OP

No that is a question only a simple minded person would ask. Never never never going to happen in any country in the world. At least in my Grand Children's children's life time.

A reasonable question would have been will it become less of a drain on Thailand.

To that question I say yes it will take time and some times it will seam to go back ward but it will continue to become less of a problem in my children's life time. Hope fully in mine.

corruption... lets take policitions in Euroland... they pay them 15.000 euros (600.000+ baht) per month + a lot of expenses (car, housing, transport, hotel, restaurant, ...) so they would not be corrupted by ...

and guess what happens...those same people also take major bribes in the form of stocks or salaries in big companies to do as good as nothing, expect return some favours...

so how to end corruption ?

I have no idea as to a solution but my answer to the question asked would be no , corruption is rife in every country no matter how whiter than white some people feel their home countries are and sadly the politicians are probably the most corrupt of the lot it's just in the us/eu/uk etc... they have become very good at covering it up.

Thailand will be on the same level of corruption as the west when their education level has improved drastically and people learn to think for themselves instead of blindly following whoever is willing to give them 500bht/day.

I don't see it happening for another century if not more.

So, in plain English, you have NO evidence whatsoever, to support your wild accusations and assertions. ( I note you conveniently forgot about the promotion cycle statement). Yet you request that other posters supply links, when they make points you don't agree with. Another one for the "ignore" list.:unsure:

How many on TV are familiar with the Perception of Corruption Index put out each year by Transparency International? This is about as good a picture of global corruption as you're ever likely to get. Here are some links:

http://www.transpare...pi/2010/results

http://www.guardian....y-international

From this survey it would appear that if you want to be in the top 10 of "clean" countries (Singapore #3 in the world), you had better be prepared to pay high taxes and pay your police and civil servants a decent wage.

If you want to be in the absolute worst country in the world, try our neighbours to the north...

Still, as someone else has said here, no place can be free of it, perhaps ever. Read Private Eye for British corruption (several Conservative ministers have intimate connections with Barclay's, so ok for huge bonuses to be spent on Mr Diamond's sparkling employees).

Only this last Friday a Canadian court fined a Calgary oil company $10 million for bribery of officials in Bangladesh. (And Canada is in the Top Ten of Clean).

Farang teacher wages are kept low outside Bangkok because often, I am told, the people who run the schools want a slice of the pie too. many will employ Non Native english speakers in order to keep costs down and take a shae of the cream off the top. So if these comments I often hear are true, then what chance is there of these people who run these schools being able to educate the kids about corruption. Sadly Thailand does have a long way to go before it can move down the ladder on this one.

However, how can you expect a beautiful country, full of people that are more than willing to treat every inch of their country like a litter bin, by dumping whatever they want, wherever they want,or stand by and let others do this, to clean up their own Government and all its bits of filth.