I Just Got A Double-Entry Tourist Visa In Laos

The experience wasn't as bad as I expected. I got a tuk-tuk from Nong Khai to the friendship bridge, got stamped out of Thailand and realised I didn't have any idea of how to get across. After faffing about for 10 minutes trying to work it out (there is a public bus service that costs 15 baht), I was approached by a friendly driver/visa tout who spoke good English. If you see a 5"4 Laos guy wearing shades near the bridge, that's probably him.

400 baht for a taxi ride to the embassy might seem overpriced, but his presence certainly didn't hurt my chances of getting my visa, and saved me a lot of time - he stuck around and gave me a lift to my hotel afterwards, all part of the 400 baht. I booked him for the ride back, and he similarly saved me time and effort in getting my passport back from the embassy the following day.

Now I had only had an ED visa, a multiple non-O visa and a bunch of visa-on-arrival stamps in my passport, so I would probably have got the double-entry Tourist Visa anyway. Still, I'll be using the same guy if I need to go back to Laos for another 2xTV - I have his name and mobile number.

So in summary - yes, it's still possible to get a 2X Tourist Visa from Laos - and doing business with the locals may well pay dividends, although I suspect I got lucky with my well-connected Laos taxi driver.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just back from embassy to get a 2 month Tourist Visa after I was in Thailand for a year with a non-resident "O" visa.

I had pictures made with some man having a little business on the street in front of the embassy.

They also filled in my form (which I could have done myself easily).

We talked and they told me there are not as many problems anymore as one week ago, when some were refused VISA.

Only when you have already used several tourist visa in a row.

I simply handed in my form and payed a 1000 baht.

Tomorrow I'll pick it up.

:)

easy :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just arrived back from Vientiane this morning.

Only got a single entry TR last time (she crossed out 2 and wrote 1), but figured it was bad luck mostly: it was after 12.00 and the 2 clueless clowns in front of me didn't help her mood.

However, this time she did the same and gave me the attached form, saying that my visa would only cost 1,000 baht this time (don't ya just love 'em!).

So after paying my 1,000 baht, I spoke to the guy behind the counter about the notice who eventually admitted that the notices came from Bangkok and things often changed every fortnight or so.

Now all of this is already known to me, but can anyone tell me whether it's gonna be a waste of time (or worse) to take it up with Police Immigration on Chaengwattana Road ?

From past experience, I speak Thai fluently so I'm game, but I'm also far from optimistic about my trip making any positive difference to my situation.

FYI: I've been here over 20 years - I worked at a prestigious Thai university last term (WP), then for a private school (Non Imm B) and since then TR.

post-133770-0-87470600-1316696402_thumb.

Edited by GazR

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the report.

I am going for a double TV next week. Have a fresh PP with only 1 double TV.

I will probably just go it alone without an agent since I think my chances are pretty good.

Will post back to this thread what I experience and see other people getting.

So how did it go?

Thanks for the report.

I am going for a double TV next week. Have a fresh PP with only 1 double TV.

I will probably just go it alone without an agent since I think my chances are pretty good.

Will post back to this thread what I experience and see other people getting.

So how did it go?

Yeah I got a double TV no problem in early august. The visa situation has changed for the worse since then.

Hopefully it gets better before february or else its off to Thai language school. Probably not a bad thing. It costs a little more than making a few visa trips and extensions. The upside is learning the Thai language and not having to travel.

You took a risk and you fortunately came out not too harmed. You paid about 4x the regular amount for a taxi (I always pay 100 baht if there are 2 or more passengers, 150 if not), but I guess that doesn't matter to you. You could even take one of the Nong Khai - VT buses anywhere from 1 to 2 dollars. I never, ever talk to the ball cap - shades wearing touts hanging out around the border areas. You're lucky you didn't get taken for a ride. They could have done just about anything they wanted to you should they have felt like it.

You took a risk and you fortunately came out not too harmed. You paid about 4x the regular amount for a taxi (I always pay 100 baht if there are 2 or more passengers, 150 if not), but I guess that doesn't matter to you. You could even take one of the Nong Khai - VT buses anywhere from 1 to 2 dollars. I never, ever talk to the ball cap - shades wearing touts hanging out around the border areas. You're lucky you didn't get taken for a ride. They could have done just about anything they wanted to you should they have felt like it.

Probably very true: One time at Poipet one of these vermin was on my case and short of physically assaulting the rat (I had already roundly abused him in Thai to little effect) was not able to shake him. When I got diverted by a Khmer police official into the office (the re-arrangement of border facilities since my last visit plus the presence of the rat had me a bit confused) for my entry visa to be expedited the rat was clearly in on the official squeeze and set to earn a commission. So it cost me a few hundred baht more than my old agent who used to operate from the other side of the road where the guys try to make you pay for a customs and quarantine notification.