Needing Wife Permission To Buy/Sell Cond?

When I purchased my Condo (in foreign quota) over a year ago, during the Transfer I was given a form (do not remember if it was a government form or one from the development company) for my wife (not Thai) to sign, basically giving her permission for me to make the purchase. All the transfer of money etc. and name in all other documents was in my name. My question is, is/was this a normal document that ones spouse has to sign when buying/selling property in Thailand and will I need my wifes permission to sell the condo in the future?

Main reason I am asking, is their some law in Thailand that specifically states that if someone dies, any property must be left to the surviving spouse. I'm in the process of writing a will and was wondering if I would have any problem in leaving my Condo to someone other than my wife?

If you write a legal will the property Will be left to your appointed heirs, in the case of no Will then the estate is divided according to rules which include wife, kids, etc.

No idea what form you signed though as I was never given one when I bought my condo after marriage so can't help you there.

I'm completing on a purchase in two weeks time. If I get presented with such a form I will not complete until I find out what its legal effect is (lawyer if necessary - I potentially need the freedom for our daughters to inherit). I'll post then.

Edited by SantiSuk

^how do the land office know you are married???

Maybe it's a form like the one a Farang has to sign to say that the property is 100% the wife's and he has no interest in it?

Only the other way round in this case?

I bought off-plan from a big well known Thai company. When I signed the contract no mention was made if I was married which at that time I wasn't. It was only by the time of the transfer (when I had already paid all the installments) that they asked for a copy of my wifes passport and then they presented the form for my wife to sign. Can not remember the whole wording of the form and was not given a copy but remember it basically said the she, my wife, gave consent for me to purchase the Condo.

As said before all other transactions were made in my name.

I was asked by my gf to get officially married and a highly intelligent and cosmopolitan Thai lady friend filled me in.

Your problem is one of the very important reasons not to get a registered marriage.

You need wife's signature for a lot of legal and financial stuff. It's a pain both ways and I'm told the Thais avoid it like the plague if they're business people.

Two other reasons:

You're responsible for each others' debt.

It causes real problems about land and property as it invalidates contracts between you.