Buddhist Holiday, 15 - 18 July

heybruce

My students tell me that this weekend, 15 to 18 July, is a Buddhist holiday. I think it's one where good Buddhists are supposed to abstain from alcohol, but I don't know if it's one where bars are closed and stores will not sell alcohol. Does anyone know? Some people might want to stock up if it is.

I believe bars are closed yes. Friday is the holiday, not sure about the weekend. I'm sure Millwall Fan can answer in more detail.

I have already rescheduled my Night of Misbehavior and Drunker Depravity to Thursday.

I think it's one where good Buddhists are supposed to abstain from alcohol,

Actually, good Buddhists are supposed to ALWAYS abstain from alcohol. It's one of the 5 precepts. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Precepts

Same for Muslims.

So the World depends on us Christians and ex-Christians for some proper boozing!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Friday is Asarnha Buja Day and Saturday is the beginning of Buddhist Lent - I don't believe Sunday is also a Buddhist holiday.

Correct ,and as such , no alcohol to be served or sold . It does depend on the attitude of the local B.I.B.. Say no more.!!

Is there anything exciting happening on these days or are they strictly spiritual days?

I think you might find these are the days when young men become monks for the duration of the rainy season.Some noisy (ramwong)processions as they wend their way to the temple, Some might have some very noisy parties Wednesday ,Thursday nights.

I believe bars are closed yes. Friday is the holiday, not sure about the weekend. I'm sure Millwall Fan can answer in more detail.

I have already rescheduled my Night of Misbehavior and Drunker Depravity to Thursday.

Actually, good Buddhists are supposed to ALWAYS abstain from alcohol. It's one of the 5 precepts. ;)

http://en.wikipedia....i/Five_Precepts

Same for Muslims.

So the World depends on us Christians and ex-Christians for some proper boozing!

Millwall Fan went back to North of England, NOT WALES, yesterday for a couple of weeks. He is Welsh but obviously prefers England!!!!! He ain't that bad then!!

If I can remember my bi-weekly brain-washing sessions correctly, I'm pretty sure that Christians are supposed to abstain from Drunker Depravity Thursdays as well......

http://en.wikipedia....i/Five_Precepts

Same for Muslims.

Interesting. A bunch of us are having our semi-regular get together at Gecko Garden this coming friday so I went to check if they would be open and serving booze that evening. They said friday no problem but saturday was a no booze day. This was from two of the girls. Maybe I should go back and check with Rudi....

Cheers,

Pikey.

Interesting. A bunch of us are having our semi-regular get together at Gecko Garden this coming friday so I went to check if they would be open and serving booze that evening. They said friday no problem but saturday was a no booze day. This was from two of the girls. Maybe I should go back and check with Rudi....

Cheers,

Pikey.

Friday or Saturday........don't accept free beers from strangers. wink.gif