Australian Teacher Lucky To Be Alive After Being Shot In The Head In Chiang Mai

webfact

Crimes against tourists are taken very seriously and dealt with quickly partly because I believe they are handed to the royal police & partly the massive media coverage back home ( for example the UK girl who was raped & murdered a few years back on one of the tourist islands) I understand that if the victims are visiting Thailand - the responses are very speedy as Thailand's reputation/economy in tourism is vital.

Exactly! thumbsup.gif

I was saying this before. The tourism % isn't as high as something like their rice exports, but it's still a big chunk of the economy. They don't mess around with things that might damage that reputation.

Wow! Two people simultaneously having the same hallucination!

It's hardly a hallucination when you've seen evidence of it firsthand. An unsolved case where leads dry up or never materialize gets pushed aside anywhere in the world, but when they can find out who there man or woman is they can be pretty proactive.

whistling.gif

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crimes against tourists are taken very seriously and dealt with quickly partly because I believe they are handed to the royal police & partly the massive media coverage back home ( for example the UK girl who was raped & murdered a few years back on one of the tourist islands) I understand that if the victims are visiting Thailand - the responses are very speedy as Thailand's reputation/economy in tourism is vital.

Exactly! thumbsup.gif

I was saying this before. The tourism % isn't as high as something like their rice exports, but it's still a big chunk of the economy. They don't mess around with things that might damage that reputation.

Something about a barn door and a bolting horse comes to mind.

Exactly! thumbsup.gif

Something about a barn door and a bolting horse comes to mind.

I know the expression, but I don't understand what you're implying with it here.

huh.gif

It's what the article says, DumFarang.

I guess it's an inside joke or something b/c I don't know what the article has to do with the euphemism's meaning: taking a precaution when it's already too late.

Too late for what? To keep the teacher from getting shot/shot at? That's obvious at this stage.

Too late to repair Thailand's reputation? I doubt it has reached that point at all.

Too late to salvage the schools' exchange program? That seems much more likely.

Too late to lower Thailand's crime rate? Not easy but doable.

Were you inferring one of these things or something else with that broadly interpretable saying?

blink.gif

Exactly! thumbsup.gif

Wow! Two people simultaneously having the same hallucination!

It's hardly a hallucination when you've seen evidence of it firsthand. An unsolved case where leads dry up or never materialize gets pushed aside anywhere in the world, but when they can find out who there man or woman is they can be pretty proactive.

whistling.gif

Some people have the idea that the Thai police are the best there is in the world and can solve any thing and if they don't solve it they are covering up the criminal.

Perhaps if they were to get out from behind there computer they would have a better idea of what is going on. All they ever see is a Thai trying to make as much money off them as they can. The same thing they are doing off there employer or if they are retired the same they did for years off of there employer. Difference being most off them don't have the guts to do it for them selves they get a union to do it for them.B)

Aussie teachers' driver tells of shooting in Chiang Mai, Thailand

A THAI college teacher driving two Melbourne women whose car was shot at in Chiang Mai said he was in a state of shock as he drove at high speed to escape the scene, taking one of injured woman to hospital.

Suwan Intarchit, a teacher at the Montford College in the northern Thai city, was driving Melbourne teachers Lynda Cody and Jess Lambden from a night market when they came under fire on Sunday night.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/world/aussie-teachers-driver-tells-of-shooting-in-chiang-mai-thailand/story-e6frea8l-1226095601658

Chiang Mai is safer than Pattaya and Bangkok and Phuket, but I know a tourist town north of C.Mai which is safer still. Perhaps I shouldn't mention its name, as we don't want a ton of farang coming to settle here, and bringing the attention of Thai crapheads that the other places have attracted. Something about heavily touristed places that brings out the worst in some Thais - who are supposed to be hosts and (one would assume) appreciate the influx of revenue that farang bring to spend.

Actually thai police are pretty smart in solving cases especially getting leads etc.

Are you kidding? Suggest: Don't try switching to a career as a stand-up comic.

Chiang Mai is safer than Pattaya and Bangkok and Phuket, but I know a tourist town north of C.Mai which is safer still. Perhaps I shouldn't mention its name, as we don't want a ton of farang coming to settle here

Chiang Rai? Pai?

The bullet grazed the back of the Ms Cody's skull is in no way the same as shot in the head.

If I remember my biology lessons correctly the skull is located in your head. :ermm:

Well it is not actually in the head as the skull is the bone framework of the head, enclosing the brain and supporting the face. Without the skull thier would be no head. basically they are one and the same. Splitting hairs I know. ok I'll go now.

The bullet grazed the back of the Ms Cody's skull is in no way the same as shot in the head.

If I remember my biology lessons correctly the skull is located in your head. :ermm:

Well it is not actually in the head as the skull is the bone framework of the head, enclosing the brain and supporting the face. Without the skull thier would be no head. basically they are one and the same. Splitting hairs I know. ok I'll go now.

You been drinkin' again?

You been drinkin' again?

:drunk:

A bullet/fragment grazing the skull and passing by the side of it is not the same as being hit *in* it.

But it makes better headlines.

Hope everyone will recover and not have any long-lasting emotional scars.

Edited by TAWP

The incident was reported to local police, who are investigating.

Consider it solved.

Or consider a possible UPI story like this?

"An incident involving an Australian teacher, who was shot in the head, had been turned over to the police for investigation. In an emphatic statement to the media the other day, the police have concluded that Ms. Lynda Cody was not actually hit in the head by a bullet, but that instead she had drowned.

Police are currently trying to reach Ms. Cody, in an effort to have her admit herself to the provincial morgue for a full autopsy. (See related story.)"

Edited by cup-O-coffee

"Ringwood Secondary College principal Michael Phillips said: "Whilst the injury sustained by Lynda was serious, the incident was particularly stressful and both staff members will need counseling support as they realise how close they were to being shot..."

:blink: Does this guy speaky the English? What contradictions!

Oh, pu-leeeez. Is there anything humans don't need counseling or closure for? Bullied as children? Ignored by fathers? Ingrown toenails?

Go home and tell everyone about your near-death adventure in dangerous SEA! B)

Ha ha, nail, head, hit!

Just got back from 3 weeks in the UK, I need a bit of councelling after having to pay 8.79 for a pack of Marlboro at Heathrow, and forbidden to actually smoke them!

Edited by Willeyeam

• 1 month later...

Teachers wanted, good pay, health benefits, visa assistance, medical and bullet proof vest provided. This is not good for Thailand! This is shocking. Time to get rid of the stupid "lose face" mentality and start educating. Start with the stupid ass programs on the television that seem to baby sit the majority of the children in this country. :realangry:

1 hour of looking at recent post's and only one dare's to tell it as it is.

Time to start telling the truth, Thailand is a mess, a joke, the education system, the fact there is so much banned info, the corruption ,the justice system,etc,etc

its nothing personal, I love it here too. I just cannot stand having to buy the polite line and go along with all the nonsense that does not help the Thai people I have come to know and love one little bit.