English Teacher Job

az2005

Hi all ! :D

Im just basically a newcomer to Thailand and just wander what is the salary

payed by an recruting agency

at different schools in Bangkok and out of city for an english teacher

(with bachelor degree or without)

for appr. 20 hrs a week ?

and does it differ if apply directly by the school??

thx and regards

:o

For a newbie, I'd say about 30,000 a month is easy to get. If money is all your after you could work for an agency and get about 50,000 in bangkok, working 6 days a week and some evenings.

Upcountry you could get 30,000 easy enough and lots of privates taking it to 40,000 realistically, without working too hard.

good luck.

30,000 baht for 20 hours a week? Then working a full 40 hours should get him 60,000 baht a month.

In the upcountry where I am, one teacher with 13 years expierence makes 10,000 baht a month for full time. He's not an english teacher though. It might make a difference.

If you are talking contact hours (in-class teaching time) then 20 hours is plenty.

25 hours will tire you out and 40 hours will kill you.

Prep time must be factored in also. Waling into a class without prep is not fun, even for experienced teachers.

thx and regards

It is probably symptomatic of the standards prevailing within this forum that no one has yet to comment upon the blindingly obvious fact that the poster should not be allowed near a classroom either under the guise of an english teacher, which he patently could never be, or as an itinerant opportunist which he undoubtedly is.

On one hand we have posts elsewhere which advocate a dialogue with the Thai educational establishment suggesting the unlocking of resources that are undoubtedly available to assist in English teaching but on the other we have this thread which does no one in the business any favours and simply serves to undermine any credibility gained by the hard pressed professionals.

Or have I missed the point?

thx and regards

It is probably symptomatic of the standards prevailing within this forum that no one has yet to comment upon the blindingly obvious fact that the poster should not be allowed near a classroom either under the guise of an english teacher, which he patently could never be, or as an itinerant opportunist which he undoubtedly is.

On one hand we have posts elsewhere which advocate a dialogue with the Thai educational establishment suggesting the unlocking of resources that are undoubtedly available to assist in English teaching but on the other we have this thread which does no one in the business any favours and simply serves to undermine any credibility gained by the hard pressed professionals.

Or have I missed the point?

Well by all means back up your statement with proof mate.

And conversational classes often don't contain much writing etc. And as long as you lesson plan spelling is not a biggie either IMO!

There's a market for the kind of teachers agencies hire. Economics sez that where there is a buyer and a seller, a market will form.

As the OP doesn't comment on his credentials, I wonder why a certain poster here chooses to? For all we know, he could have an M.Ed. but simply not want to work in a higher-falutin' kind of place.

The responses so far are not encouraging, but expectations were never high.

The poster is illiterate and regardless of how you wish to quantify the market, as if that was ever a valid factor in the education equation, I, and any other right thinking responsible adult in charge of another's education, would have to be barking mad to entrust it into the care of such an obviously, hopelessly, unqualified individual. What annoys me about the "ajarns" in this forum that tolerate such dross is their willingness to subject third world pupils to tenth rate instruction simply because it may afford the hapless teacher an opportunity to remain in circumstances not available to them in their own countries.

M.Ed indeed.......perhaps in Pidgin, in which case the chump might find his niche in PNG.

Well, as the atmosphere and company here don't suit, perhaps another place would be better for you.

Anyone who thinks that Thailand can attract the most "fully specially perfectly" qualified foreign teachers based on local market conditions is in Cloud Cuckoo Land. However, Thailand needs people to help the poorer population study something closer to real English than what most Thai teachers can provide. A decent, motivated TEFL-trained foreign conversation teacher placed in a rural school gives both something they need and want at the right price for both. It's not rocket science, after all. I don't see the problem.

The poster is illiterate and regardless of how you wish to quantify the market, as if that was ever a valid factor in the education equation, I, and any other right thinking responsible adult in charge of another's education, would have to be barking mad to entrust it into the care of such an obviously, hopelessly, unqualified individual.

Please don't be so stupid mate. This is a board not a classroom. He might be dyslexic (sp?) for all you know. Also with spell checkers et al it's not hard to become a perfect speller.

And as had been mentioned conversational classes don't require a lot of spelling and as long as you lesson plan well....it's not a problem at all.

What annoys me about the "ajarns" in this forum that tolerate such dross is their willingness to subject third world pupils to tenth rate instruction simply because it may afford the hapless teacher an opportunity to remain in circumstances not available to them in their own countries.
Cool so you're teaching here now then? Are you enjoying earning 30K teaching 50-60 kids in a class? How long you been teaching here then chap?
M.Ed indeed.......perhaps in Pidgin, in which case the chump might find his niche in PNG.

I knew a 'proper' teacher that couldn't spell mate, it's not really the be all or end all in communication you know....other more important things IMO!

The poster is illiterate and regardless of how you wish to quantify the market, as if that was ever a valid factor in the education equation, I, and any other right thinking responsible adult in charge of another's education, would have to be barking mad to entrust it into the care of such an obviously, hopelessly, unqualified individual. What annoys me about the "ajarns" in this forum that tolerate such dross is their willingness to subject third world pupils to tenth rate instruction simply because it may afford the hapless teacher an opportunity to remain in circumstances not available to them in their own countries.

I like it. :o

Well, as the atmosphere and company here don't suit, perhaps another place would be better for you.

Anyone who thinks that Thailand can attract the most "fully specially perfectly" qualified foreign teachers based on local market conditions is in Cloud Cuckoo Land.  However, Thailand needs people to help the poorer population study something closer to real English than what most Thai teachers can provide.  A decent, motivated TEFL-trained foreign conversation teacher placed in a rural school gives both something they need and want at the right price for both.  It's not rocket science, after all.  I don't see the problem.

This is also good. Makes perfect sense actually. :o

But bear in mind 30K a month doesn't always equate to 30K a month for 12 months!

Also bear in mind that although they just might let you get away with only 20 contact hours a week, most Thai schools will demand that you are physically present for a lot longer than that. 50 to 60 hour weeks are by no means unheard of, and you could well be required to work six or even SEVEN days a week.

Edited by Rumpole

..... What annoys me about the "ajarns" in this forum that tolerate such dross is their willingness to subject third world pupils to tenth rate instruction simply because it may afford the hapless teacher an opportunity to remain in circumstances not available to them in their own countries....

or maybe we have a bit more tolerance than "non ajarns"

What is an "ajarn" on this board by the way? Is it different from an ajarn? Why the quote marks?

What do you do? What are your qualifications? Are you a business man or a "business man"? Maybe you are an "engineer" or just an engineer?

Think its time for another what is a real teacher argument. Are we ready? Lets go boys!

Bluffer's call to arms is somewhat disingenuous and I hope he doesn't take offence if I decline the challenge to debate "whither teaching in Thailand" or any other such subject he might unreasonably extrapolate from my earlier posts.The purpose of using parentheses was abundantly clear to anyone with the meanest of intelligence as he full well knows;not all ajarns in Thailand merit the description and in highlighting that possibility by the use of " was simply an economical way of introducing the concept into my post.

However, we digress. It seems that those more experienced in the teaching profession have concluded that the poster's illiteracy should be no bar to his gaining employment as a teacher of english in Thailand.As I understand it, the objections to my posts are based on the notion that I place too much weight upon accurate spelling. On reading the post it is pitifully apparent that not only can he not spell but his expression is so clumsy that it obscures the meaning he wishes to convey. Now, we have to ask ourselves, is this because he is stupid or is it because his command of the language is so tenuous that he cannot express his ideas in a sufficiently coherent fashion. Difficult to tell, really. Either way, it seems to me he is not competent to teach that language either formally or conversationally, at any price.

Bluffer's call to arms is somewhat disingenuous and I hope he doesn't take offence if I decline the challenge to debate "whither teaching in Thailand" or any other such subject he might unreasonably extrapolate from my earlier posts.The purpose of using parentheses was abundantly clear to anyone with the meanest of intelligence as he full well knows;not all ajarns in Thailand merit the description and in highlighting that possibility by the use of " was simply an economical way of introducing the concept into my post.

However, we digress. It seems that those more experienced in the teaching profession have concluded that the poster's illiteracy should be no bar to his gaining employment as a teacher of english in Thailand.As I understand it, the objections to my posts are based on the notion that I place too much weight upon accurate spelling. On reading the post it is pitifully apparent that not only can he not spell but his expression is so clumsy that it obscures the meaning he wishes to convey. Now, we have to ask ourselves, is this because he is stupid or is it because his command of the language is so tenuous that he cannot express his ideas in a sufficiently coherent fashion. Difficult to tell, really. Either way, it seems to me he is not competent to teach that language either formally or conversationally, at any price.

If this is the kind of english you use in front of Thai students then I 'm afraid they don't know what the h3ll you're talking about. Or is it just to show how distinguished your english is?