Review For International Buffet At Espresso, Intercontinental Bangkok

cwldanny

For the full review and photos visit our website @ Bangkok Gastronomy

http://bkkgastro.com/

Espresso at the Intercontinental Hotel is a wonderful place to spend an afternoon, slowly picking away at the buffet and all your failed fitness goals in 2011. If you have ever eaten in Bangkok, you have probably heard of the Intercontinental Hotel. If you haven’t, then here’s your little introduction this fantastic coffee shop that is hustling and bustling with buffet lovers every meal of the day. You have probably walked pass the Intercontinental Hotel more than once during your stay in Bangkok, perhaps it was on the way to Central World from the Chit Lom BTS station or to use the washrooms at Gaysorn Plaza. Well I finally grew tired of looking, and ventured into their Espresso coffee shop to try their international lunch buffet.

Arriving at 12 sharp, the place was already packed with people. Luckily I had made reservations for our table of seven and a half and we were quickly seated. I was impressed by the table setup, and admired their futile attempt at placing hot, home-made French breads to quell my appetite (but you and I know better). There is a round Chinese style table available, which can seat 6-8 so definitely request for that if you are going in a group. If going in a smaller group, as a couple, or even alone, get a seat near the balcony so you can see the lobby downstairs and feel a little bit less lonely.

The buffet setup was quite impressive with a large selection of food. From the entrance, you will be faced with the salads and appetizers, followed by the small Japanese counter offering sashimi (salmon, tuna), and sushi (Maki rolls, tamago). There were 4-5 hot dishes of Asian food such as stir fried pork with ginger and fried rice, as well as a pasta station and international dishes (baked pasta with crème sauce, pan fried fish fillet, mixed vegetables, pizza), assorted dim sum, chicken rice, roasted duck and a very large choice of delicious desserts. The washrooms are located directly inside the coffee shop just in case you need to take a little break (be sure to feel sorry for the tables seated nearby)

I enjoyed the sashimi, the salmon quality was very high but the refill was slow and there was always a line of 3-4 people waiting to get their catch of the day. The appetizers, Parma ham and smoked salmon were kept in large glass shelf which makes it more hygienic, but I would have preferred to have proper sliced smoked salmon with condiments. Do try their chicken rice and pasta, some of the best I've had at a hotel.

After stuffing myself well beyond what a healthy person should eat in a day, I finished up with the desserts. Everything from ice cream to chocolate brownies, cookies, Thai sweets, mango and different colored sticky rice (get it before it runs out), a chocolate fountain and many other appetizing treats were on offer.

Despite the large amount of people dining, the buffet layout is large and spacious, and they accommodate children very well. The food is nothing luxurious, no seafood bar or grill for lunch, but definitely worth the money. Be sure to call ahead for reservations and check if they have any credit card promotions ongoing. Overall, Espresso at the Intercontinental hotel is a great choice for families and friends looking for a little treat before heading over to shop, eat and dine at any nearby shopping center. Enjoy the photos!

Overview (Something new I would like to add to my reviews to make it easier for you)

- Try to ask for a table near the balcony or a round table for parties of 6-8

- The sashimi and sushi counter can get quite crowded from 12:30 – 13:00, so get your fill beforehand.

- Try the chicken rice, pasta station, salmon and desserts.

- Comfortable baby-seats and friendly staff.

- Make reservations and ask for any credit card promotions.

Overall Score 4/5

Restaurant's Website

(http://www.intercontinental.com/intercontinental/en/gb/locations/hotel-features/dining/restaurants/bangkok)

I had an early dinner there once quite recently (within the last 6 weeks) and i must say i will never go there again, the food was very poor quality, the bill was above-average for a hotel buffet dinner.

I felt the selection of food was poor, at best, the service mediocre at best. The chefs working the carvery coutner were disinterested in serving anyone and when i finally got their attention and asked for a slice of meat, the resulting slice was practically thrown at me.

The food in the warmers was dry and shriveled, it looked like it was still there from lunchtime.

If i am in that area and i want a buffet dinner again, i will walk the extra 500mtrs and goto the Novotel, which is cheaper, has a better selection of food and the staff at least give the appearance of wanting to serve.

I had an early dinner there once quite recently (within the last 6 weeks) and i must say i will never go there again, the food was very poor quality, the bill was above-average for a hotel buffet dinner.

I felt the selection of food was poor, at best, the service mediocre at best. The chefs working the carvery coutner were disinterested in serving anyone and when i finally got their attention and asked for a slice of meat, the resulting slice was practically thrown at me.

The food in the warmers was dry and shriveled, it looked like it was still there from lunchtime.

If i am in that area and i want a buffet dinner again, i will walk the extra 500mtrs and goto the Novotel, which is cheaper, has a better selection of food and the staff at least give the appearance of wanting to serve.

... Or just walk 20 meters across the driveway to the Holiday Inn adjacent to the Intercontinental at Gaysorn. The Intercontinental and Holiday Inn happen to be owned by the same Holding company. At the Holiday Inn Chidlom at Cafe G you get as good or maybe better Thai food buffet for 229 baht which includes soft drinks. All in with the Net ++ BS it comes to about 270 baht and is available both for lunch and dinner.

To the above, I will agree that Novotel Siam Square has the best buffet bang for buck in Thailand. You can see the reviews i have for the square, visited atleast 4 times already. However I stand by my

review that the lunch buffet I had was great at espresso!

I too used to be a regular at the Intercontinental then the nice basket of bread rolls was replaced by some lump of dough in an earthenware container, the free water was withdrawn probably some penny pinching accountant thought he could save a few baht and the food became very indifferent maybe its a lot better now. However I moved across the road to the Erawan where I am rarely disappointed with the fare on offer even if it is a bit pricey compared to others that have been mentioned. One thing I did like at the Intercontinental was the chocolates at the end which I believe were made by their own people, they were superb, glad I moved out or I could never have kept control of my girth.