Where Is The Ideal Place?

nonameidentified

Hi,

I'll be moving over to Thailand soon in perhaps a month or two together with my hubby and my two girls. My husband's working place will be in Chonburi and we were thinking of renting a place in the greater east of Bangkok. But since we're not really familiar with Bangkok, we are not sure which area will be ideal. So, we don't know where to start our search!!

Here are our criterias:

- a house unfurnished

- not too crowded

- security

- easy to access to Chonburi by car

- some kinds of transport means to get around without car (cos I don't drive!!)

- a nearby international school

I thought of areas like Minburi, Bangna, Bang Phil, Bang Bo,Bangkapi, Bang Pakong.... But where????

I'm totally lost. Please help... :o

Thank you in advance!!

Hi,

I'll be moving over to Thailand soon in perhaps a month or two together with my hubby and my two girls. My husband's working place will be in Chonburi and we were thinking of renting a place in the greater east of Bangkok. But since we're not really familiar with Bangkok, we are not sure which area will be ideal. So, we don't know where to start our search!!

Here are our criterias:

- a house unfurnished

- not too crowded

- security

- easy to access to Chonburi by car

I thought of areas like Minburi, Bangna, Bang Phil, Bang Bo,Bangkapi, Bang Pakong.... But where????

I'm totally lost. Please help... :o

Thank you in advance!!

As you know where your husband will be working, focus on where your two girls will be going to school.

Here is a quick list of Inernational Schools:

http://www.isat.or.th/member_schools.asp

I hope $$$ is not an issue for you.

Bang-Na Trad & Samut Prakan are probably the two areas within the BKK metro region that are closest to Chonburi. Surely you would be able to find a house for rent there. Everywhere in Thailand is crowded so you can just forget about that request. :o

Those two requirements are going to be the biggest problems for you.

Firstly, other than taxis, there is no public transport that you would be comfortable with anywhere in this area other than the SkyTrain and the subway, both of which are in the Bangkok metro area only. The alternative, of course, is to hire a full-time driver, but it's frequently hard to find a reliable one and the cost of cars here is very, very high due to import duties. For your husband, driving from eastern Bangkok to Chonburi really isn't much of a problem (maybe an hour, depending on where his is going), and my immediate reaction is that you had better try to get close to either the subway or the Sky Train in Bangkok or you personally are going to have a very unhappy stay here.

Secondly, so-called 'international schools' vary wildly in quality and cost. Sometimes I think half the major families of Thailand are in the school business -- and, yes, it is big business here. At the top of the heap are ISB (International School of Bangkok) and Bangkok Pattaya, both of which are long-established, first rate, and very expensive (B500,000-B600,000 per year). From the area around either, Chonburi would be a relatively easy run, but both schools are far out on the edge of Bangkok and there is no access to either the SkyTrain or the subway from anywhere near them. Other than by car, they are unreachable.

Good luck. I really do think you're going to have to look at hiring a driver.

If your husband is going to be commuting to Chonburi, it will probably be better if you live near the expressway. He won't want to be driving through the Bangkok rush hour traffic to get to the expressway everyday.

Somewhere in Bang Na sounds like your best option. There are a couple of international schools there and plenty of shopping centers. For public transport you would have to rely on buses as the sky-train only goes as far as On Nut. However if you took a taxi on the expressway, it only takes about 15 minutes to get to the centre of Bangkok.

Check out Lakeside Villa in Bang-Na, pricy but good expat housing estate. Bkk Pattana is the best school in the area, also pricy. Also Lakeside is next to the elevated tollway to Chonburi.

I'd get pretty fed up going back and forth to Chonburi everyday though.

Do you thinh it'll be a better choice to stay in Pattaya then since you know Chonburi better?

Bang-Na Trad & Samut Prakan are probably the two areas within the BKK metro region that are closest to Chonburi.  Surely you would be able to find a house for rent there.  Everywhere in Thailand is crowded so you can just forget about that request.  :o

Sounds good. I'll take a look at that.

Is it easy to get an unfurnished house in the area by the way? And usually how much is the rent for a house with 3-4 rooms?

Those two requirements are going to be the biggest problems for you.

Firstly, other than taxis, there is no public transport that you would be comfortable with anywhere in this area other than the SkyTrain and the subway, both of which are in the Bangkok metro area only. The alternative, of course, is to hire a full-time driver, but it's frequently hard to find a reliable one and the cost of cars here is very, very high due to import duties. For your husband, driving from eastern Bangkok to Chonburi really isn't much of a problem (maybe an hour, depending on where his is going), and my immediate reaction is that you had better try to get close to either the subway or the Sky Train in Bangkok or you personally are going to have a very unhappy stay here.

Secondly, so-called 'international schools' vary wildly in quality and cost. Sometimes I think half the major families of Thailand are in the school business -- and, yes, it is big business here. At the top of the heap are ISB (International School of Bangkok) and Bangkok Pattaya, both of which are long-established, first rate, and very expensive (B500,000-B600,000 per year). From the area around either, Chonburi would be a relatively easy run, but both schools are far out on the edge of Bangkok and there is no access to either the SkyTrain or the subway from anywhere near them. Other than by car, they are unreachable.

Good luck. I really do think you're going to have to look at hiring a driver.

Do you have any idea the rate for hiring a driver then?

Bang-Na trad runs from the eastern end of Bangkok to Chonburi which is the next town. They're about 60KLMs apart so LM20 would be 20K's from the Bangkok end etc.

Lakeside Villa etc is going to set you back around 100,000-150,000 Baht per month. I've a fair few clients there all working for the top notch companies.

Do you have any idea the rate for hiring a driver then?

It varys widely. Companies generally pay more, something like B12,000-B15,000 per month. Foreign individuals pay less. B10,000-B12,000 would be pertty normal. Thai individuals pay the least of all: B8,000-B10,000. There are many exceptions at both ends of the range, I'm sure, but these rates are reasonable generalizations. Incidentally, for these monthly salaries drivers work six day weeks and are available as you require them. Overtime is seldom paid except by companies.

The best International school for your kids in Bangkok is ISB but u must to pay 400-500k per years and locate in Nonburi area. For the oldest international school in Bangkok has branch in Bangkapi-Romklow area(10 min from the new airport and 45 min far from chonburi)

Many choices for you but the 1st thing should to look at the safety place for your kids and close to their school because we are adult we can ride o car and know how go easily.

I suggest you. Many big villages on Bangkapi-Romklow rd.(pls search on yahoo.map..as shown in clearly). Perfect Place vill ..(all single house), Taralom Vill(single h.) ..etc close to St.L international school(200k/yr 2 sem). I'm not sure how much money you attend to pay/month..Normally, for nice place and single house around 25000-70000 b/m.

It varys widely. Companies generally pay more, something like B12,000-B15,000 per month. Foreign individuals pay less. B10,000-B12,000 would be pertty normal. Thai individuals pay the least of all: B8,000-B10,000. There are many exceptions at both ends of the range, I'm sure, but these rates are reasonable generalizations. Incidentally, for these monthly salaries drivers work six day weeks and are available as you require them. Overtime is seldom paid except by companies.

How do we get to find these chauffeurs then? By advertising on the newspapers?

The best International school for your kids in Bangkok is ISB but u must to pay 400-500k per years and locate in Nonburi area. For the oldest international school in Bangkok has branch in Bangkapi-Romklow area(10 min from the new airport and 45 min far from chonburi)

Many choices for you but the 1st thing should to look at the safety place for your kids and close to their school because we are adult we can ride o car and know how go easily.

I suggest you. Many big villages on Bangkapi-Romklow rd.(pls search on yahoo.map..as shown in clearly). Perfect Place vill ..(all single house), Taralom Vill(single h.)  ..etc close to St.L  international school(200k/yr 2 sem). I'm not sure how much money  you attend to pay/month..Normally, for nice place and single house around 25000-70000 b/m.

the school fees for the children will not be a problem cos it'll be remboursed by the company. But for the rental of the house, since we're intending to rent an empty house, wouldn't it be cheaper than a furnished house? And I guess it'll be easier to find an empty house rather than a furnished house, no?

I

If you are looking at ISB, there is typically a waiting list, so get on the list as soon as possible. ISB is very international and teaches in the American model. The area nearby is a totally safe and insulated moo baan (neighborhood) called Nichada Thani. Between the school and Chaeng Wattana highway is another safe but mixed neighborhood. On expat package, either should be affordable. As to chauffeur and maid, check with co-workers or other expats that live near you.

The biggest downside/upside to that area is that it is not very close to the city. By taxi including tools about 260 baht one way...

Edited by andym528

No. Hiring of household staff here is always done by word of mouth.

Frankly, getting a reliable driver (particularly one who speaks some English) is mostly a matter of having some good fortune. Your husband should put out the word at his company and you should put out the word with your neighbors. You tell everyone you know and everyone you meet that you are looking for a driver and, at some point, you will start to hear from people. A maid will have a husband who's looking for a job; a security guard will have a cousin who used to drive for a foreigner who went home; a girl who works in a restaurant will have a brother who just got out of the army.

That may all sound a little flaky, but that really is the way almost everything is done here. Forget everything you know now about methodical, sensible probelm solving or you will be very unhappy. The better your connections the easier it will be for you to live here, but believe me, even when your conections are gilt-edged, sometimes it's still a problem

I

If you are looking at ISB, there is typically a waiting list...

Frankly, it depends on your nationality. ISB is an international school and sees its primary role to be one of serving the international commmunity here. There is a waiting list for Thai students, not -- on the whole -- for children of westerners who are on short-time assignments in Thailand.

You might want to have a look at http://www.isb.ac.th.

I didn't see Bang Saen beach town on your list. Worth a look.

There are also some golf developments in the area that might do.

I think the family would like Bangkok, the Sukhumvit Soi 55 area.

Lots of modern convienences and a dash of real Thailand too.

The commute to Chonburi might be rough though.

I didn't see Bang Saen beach town on your list. Worth a look.

There are also some golf developments in the area that might do.

I think the family would like Bangkok, the Sukhumvit Soi 55 area.

Lots of modern convienences and a dash of real Thailand too.

The commute to Chonburi might be rough though.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll take a lookout for these areas too! :o

No. Hiring of household staff here is always done by word of mouth.

Frankly, getting a reliable driver (particularly one who speaks some English) is mostly a matter of having some good fortune. Your husband should put out the word at his company and you should put out the word with your neighbors. You tell everyone you know and everyone you meet that you are looking for a driver and, at some point, you will start to hear from people. A maid will have a husband who's looking for a job; a security guard will have a cousin who used to drive for a foreigner who went home; a girl who works in a restaurant will have a brother who just got out of the army.

That may all sound a little flaky, but that really is the way almost everything is done here. Forget everything you know now about methodical, sensible probelm solving or you will be very unhappy. The better your connections the easier it will be for you to live here, but believe me, even when your conections are gilt-edged, sometimes it's still a problem

Perhaps I should pickup thai then so that I can get a cheaper bargain for drivers!!!

:D

But anyway, note taken. Thank you! :o

Check out Lakeside Villa in Bang-Na, pricy but good expat housing estate. Bkk Pattana is the best school in the area, also pricy. Also Lakeside is next to the elevated tollway to Chonburi.

Do you think it'll be a better choice to stay in Pattaya then since you know Chonburi better?

Thats the best advise up till now. Why does it have to be Bangkok with all it's transport difficulties? Even Si Ratcha has some nice areas to live, and it's only a short bus ride away

Do you think it'll be a better choice to stay in Pattaya then since you know Chonburi better?

Thats the best advise up till now. Why does it have to be Bangkok with all it's transport difficulties? Even Si Ratcha has some nice areas to live, and it's only a short bus ride away

Thank you for your advice. I'll get that noted!

The alternative, of course, is to hire a full-time driver, but it's frequently hard to find a reliable one and the cost of cars here is very, very high due to import duties.
I am not assuming anything, but judging by your posts, it sounds like you will be here on a full expat package. This means your husband will be allocated a driver and a car. If you live fairly close (within an hour) to your husband's place of work, his driver would be able to transport you when he is available. However, if you want to be truly independent in the areas you specify, you will need to be able to drive or take taxis everywhere. Most non-working women expats I came into contact with who came with their working husbands bought 'cheap' jeeps either new or second hand from other expats leaving the country.
Secondly, so-called 'international schools' vary wildly in quality and cost. Sometimes I think half the major families of Thailand are in the school business -- and, yes, it is big business here. At the top of the heap are ISB (International School of Bangkok) and Bangkok Pattaya

It's Bangkok Patana, not Bangkok Pattaya. I have seen quite a few posts referring to BPS as Bangkok Pattaya for some weird reason or another. :o And although these schools are the oldest and the most famous, Japanese students will normally go to the Japanese school; German speakers to the Swiss school; French speakers to the French school and so on :D Not 100% of the time, but most of the time.

International schools provide a private bus service that travels around from house to house in your area, picking up other students along the way; this service will usually be paid for by the company as part of the deal, though it is an optional extra. Most kids travel anywhere from an hour to two hours to school, and is a common and usual arrangement. This is not due to the distance but because of the traffic conditions. I was lucky that my school and father's workplace were very close to each other; it was because of this that our family could choose a place from a wide variety of areas.

Whatever you choose to do, you, your husband and children will have to compromise. If you want to be in the company of other expats, rent a place on an estate like Lakeside (lots of Americans) as Terdsak suggests or Ladawan (lots of Brits and Australians) or move into a condominium - you might hate this idea at first as you are used to living in a house, but it is a fantastic way to get to know people. Of course, if you want to live in Chonburi, that's another kettle of fish altogether and not my area at all, but there's plenty of people here who can help. Good luck!