Changing Wife'S Name After Marriage

Hello all, hope someone can clear this up for me....

My Wife and I were married last November at the amphur in Bang Rak. She is now living with me in the UK.

At the time, for speed we kept my wife's maiden name the same. We want to change her name to mine when we come to Thailand later this year. So, I believe that we should change her ID card in her home town, and then apply for a new passport in Bangkok, are there any other things to take into consideration?

1. Is there any need to collect any paperwork from Bang Rak amphur to take to her hometown amphur?

2. Will they only need to see the marriage certificate?

3. What about the settlement visa in her current passport, how do we transfer that to her new one?

I'm sure it's straightforward but don't want to get caught out and forget/miss something.

She needs to change her ID card first, then her passport.

Q1, No, your marriage certificate will suffice.

Q2, Yes.

Q3, You can transfer her UK visa to her new passport, see here; but doing so will cost £216 by post or a massive £648 if she does it in person! Alternatively she can do what most people do; save the fee and carry both old and new passports. Her visa is still valid even though the passport the piece of paper is stuck in isn't.

In the amphur you would have been given a name change certificate along with the marriege certificate. You must take that name change certificate to her home town to change names. Then you will be given a new certificate of name change.

We did all that a few months ago