Having One'S Prepaid Phone Card Balance Stolen

Something scary happened to me yesterday: a person next to me used her phone to track my phone number, and then called a service number of DTAC and used my pre-paid balance to make freak calls to the number I had called last the day before. Not only didn't I realise anything 'strange', but the calls didn't even show up on my mobile phone. I just realised it once my girlfriend asked me whether I had called her several times without talking on the phone when she answered the calls. And I saw that my number was on her display even though I had not called her at all that day and it did not show up on my phone! I immediately called DTAC just to find out that my balance was drained down to 0 baht!! How is this possible? (My girlfriend later told me that many Thais know how to do it. Particularly using other people's DTAC numbers.) Is there a way to stop having one's phone credits stolen?

"a person next to me used her phone to track my phone number, and then called a service number of DTAC and used my pre-paid balance to make freak calls to the number I had called last the day before"

What on earth for?

And how do you know it was the person next to you anyway?

I doubt that a person sitting next to you "tracked" your phone number.

Typically you need physical access to somebodies phone/SIM card.

Once you have the phone/SIM card, there are codes you can dial to

transfer the balance or validity to another number. Those codes are not

a secret, just ask DTAC ... I have done that before with AIS ...

Cheers,

rudi

"...a person next to me used HER phone to track...."

Hmmm.... where were you when this minx did the Volcan mind-merge on your phone?

Yup, anyone who KNOWS your number can transfer your prepaid minutes... just ask your girlfriend.

PS. Also call her more often.

• 1 year later...

I am looking for an online site to purchase prepaid phone cards that can call to japan and jordan from US,UK,Canada at a reasonable rate. I am also wondering if there is any difference between the different phone cards and calling cards in terms of quality or are they just all the same. Any information on this would be helpful!

I am looking for an online site to purchase prepaid phone cards that can call to japan and jordan from US,UK,Canada at a reasonable rate. I am also wondering if there is any difference between the different phone cards and calling cards in terms of quality or are they just all the same. Any information on this would be helpful!

Suggest you do a search on the forum (or google) - or post a new topic asking for specific help.

Posting this question in a 2 year old thread is not the way to get an answer.

//CLOSED//