Building Maintenance And Services

Nonja

I'm thinking I might like to start a new topic regarding building maintenance and plumbing and internet and TV in Chiang Rai. This is only because I do not want to murder my host: writing about the situation may settle me down a little. Perhaps not, but it's worth a try. Should a Thai male person of slight build, with a pony-tail, be found dead near the Mae Fah Luang Bridge, I declare an interest.

You decide to rent a small two story cottage in Chiang Rai.

It is a nice enough place. The host and his family are delightful.

The building is past its use by date, but it is very pleasant and situated in a rural garden setting. You move in.

Almost immediately, there are problems with the internet. Yes, if you walk 30 metres up the hill and sit in the middle of the concrete driveway, you may well be able to get access at certain times of the day. I explain to my host that this mode of connection is inconvenient. For 8 months, we wrestle with the problem. Almost every week, yet another expert is engaged. We have tried everything. I have bought a variety of gadgets: new routers, boosters, etc. I have kept a log (no-one is in the slightest bit interested in this). I have printed out the continuous error messages: I have downloaded information regarding ISP Server Conflicts; and about 'Your DSL Connection is down'. I might as well be speaking Chinese.

As my host says, his connection further up the hill is fine. What would be the most appropriate murder weapon?

Moving on. The internet problem is obviously insoluble. No, I haven't quite given up yet. I am going to try to get a direct phone line, and work off that. My host says that is not a good idea, and perhaps I should try CAT? I am starting to get rather tetchy. I am lost. I do not speak Thai. When I asked for help on Thai Visa, someone said that I was obviously … I forget the word, but it means that I not a genuine person. I am too shy to ask again.

The TV is also a lost cause. I won't even go into that. Yes, there's a satellite dish and a Dreambox, but in eight months I have never been able to see a complete movie, because it freezes every 5 minutes or so. Fascinating. And now the Dreambox has been sent of to BKK for re-programming. Goodness! It's just a baby, and gender problems already.

It's the plumbing which worries me the most.

It has reduced me to complete mania.

How it all began: the upstairs bathroom after the earthquake started to leak.

I showed my host the water on the floor in the lounge-room downstairs.

He then lent me a large industrial Japanese de-humidifier.

The dehumidifier sucked up a few litres every day.

It was a mistake on my part to accept the loan of the de-humidifier, because any further signs of water were then attributed to the fact that I had not emptied the de-humidifier properly.

My feet started to rot. Walking on the floor sounded as though I was marching through chewing-gum.

Everything rotted: the books, the shoes, the furniture: nothing was left without a coat of green fungus.

Termites moved in. I showed my host the channels they were building up the walls, from the base of the water-logged beams. He showed no interest. I showed him the cracking walls, the rotting timbers. I said, this is really bad. He showed no interest. I showed him the water dripping from the electrical equipment in three rooms: he showed no interest.

His wife, the power behind the throne, eventually showed an interest. I personally may have been starting to show signs of disintegration at that stage. My feet had rotted from 6 months of walking around on water-logged floors. I now refuse to take my shoes off: I will no longer paddle around. This heinous act may well have been influential. Shoes! She really means it!

So. Over the last 6 weeks, various half-hearted attempts have been made to address the fact that water is pouring though the upstairs ceiling, after you have a shower, and into the kitchen and loungeroom below, via the powerpoints. The first and most logical step promulgated by my hosts was to remove the kitchen ceiling and try to repair the leak from below. I pass over this theory in silence.

I will not bore you with details. The upstairs bathroom floor has now been covered with white silicone. I have said to my host that I do not think this will work in the long term. I pointed out that bathrooms need to be scrubbed. I might as well have discussed the finer points of Haiku.

At the same time, the kitchen sink has always been problematic. It drains out over the floor, because the exterior outlet is higher than the inlet. I give up on this one. But the worst, the absolutely most frustrating thing, is the fact that the kitchen sink will not hold water. I bought a new plug-thingy, and the man installed it: yes he did! But it is not connected to the sink as such. So, I am now washing my dishes in a bucket.

Is there anyone out there? I said to my host, I want to get Sinthantee Handyman Service, because I am getting nowhere at the moment. I am happy to pay. Oh, he said, they do not handle little things, Yes, I said, they do: I will print out their brochure for you. He read the brochure: went away and came back: he said, they do not answer their phone. In Thai, that means no.

I love where I live, but I am becoming somewhat disheartened. I want to stay here, but I am not sure if I can cope with washing my dishes in a bucket, when there is a perfectly good sink next to it, but it is impossible to get a plug for the sink. That is completely ludicrous.

So. What to do?

I don't want to leave: I love it here. But if someone were to offer me a small place with internet, I would seriously think about relocating. I am a pretty good tenant. Old lady: no pets. I ideally would like something where I could establish a garden. As a retired art curator, I would be prepared to look at unusual buildings: I am not in the least interested in condos.

Can't be any shortage of nice places around . the damp would be a big concern for me. we don't have leaks but we still have to keep damp at bay with the occasional use of Aircon.

plenty of places will let you improve there garden I should think too.

Internet problem will not go away , and the Dreambox, well .... what can I say, Its not exactly legit and prone to problems if the Internets Dodgy.

Thank you, Jubby. I just cannot understand the sink plug. How one could install a sink plug which is not connected to the basin is beyond me.

Thats easy. put your Bucket under the sink. there must be an easy way to make a plug too. maybe you can make something out of clay :unsure: Its difficult to picture it exaclty.

Wow! Well written. If it were not a true story it would be entertaining. Maybe it is anyway. Since you are not a handyman, not a techie and do not have a Thai partner, I think you know what you need to do. Good Luck.:jap:

Hi Nonja, seems like you've got a few very distressing problems there - I sympathise. By the way I just read your original posting to get a bit of background on the internet problem. So here's my twopence worth...

1. Internet probem. This is almost certainly due to the wireless connection between your computer and the modem/router (I'm assuming that this is what you are actually connected to rather than your "host"'s computer as suggested in your earlier posting). The quickest, easiest and cheapest way to fix this is, as Kandahar suggested, to connect your computer to the modem/router by cable not by wireless. For what it's worth I am a computer guy and my Bachelor's is in computing though it's a very long time since I've worked as a techie. If by any chance this does not work let me know, and we'll move on to the next most likely cause of the problem.

2. TV problem. I wouldn't attempt to fix this technically, I'd get it done under the service contract with the supplier - I'm assuming you are paying monthly rather than long-term prepaid, so you are in a good negotiating position - they must have someone who speaks good enough English to get the message - and of course money talks in any language. If that doesnt work, I'd change supplier.

3. Damp problems. Again I'm assuming you are paying monthly for your acommodation rather than long-term prepaid, if so you are in a good negotiating position with your host. There is no reason why you should pay to fix the problems with his property unless it's actually stipulated in your contract, and that's very unlikely (even assuming you have a written contract). He (or his wife) clearly recognises his obligations even if he has been slow and ineffective in honouring them.

Don't be shy about asking these questions on TV and don't get disheartened by the small number of bullies on the forum; many of the posters are knowledgeable and helpful and a little bit of moral support goes a long way. If you do have any more problems with the bullies just contact [email protected] , it's their job to monitor and moderate the forum and they are zealous, some would say over-zealous, though they do seem to work reactively, I guess because the forum is too big to monitor everything themselves.

Anyway I'd be interested to know about progess on the internet problem, and in the meantime keep your feet dry :-)

Thank you for heartening response. Feeling better this morning. I guess it came to a head when the damp attracted the toads. The kitchen is an outdoor Thai one and the cupboard doors wouldn't close (too waterlogged so the wood swelled) and the toads moved in permanently. Hot on their heels came a 5 foot green and yellow snake, keen to help with the housekeeping. It all got a bit much, on top of the continuous problems with the TV and the internet. I will sit down calmly today and think. I DO appreciate your kind advice. Thank you very much.

Nonja,

Seems you are not Happy there. Only the basic surroundings.

Everything else living there appears to be a head ache from what you posted.

Time to move and be happy.

You need to find a home where you can install your own Internet, and TV network.

I doubt advice on fixing things will do much good.

Many of us run the maintenance of our homes because we've had years of experience at it.

Others have never held a hammer, tweaked a setting or turned a screwdriver, those sort of skills were only a phone call away.

Thailand is different, particularly if you have difficulty telling a tradesman what you want, they are not going to go out of their way to understand you any more than an American plumber or an English electrician would listen to a Thai speaker.

Therefore you have to get it right the first time.

Work out if the current house is tolerable given the nice surroundings and if it's not move out... then check everything when you rent a new place.

Take no one at their word, I realise roof leaks can't be detected if it's not raining but look for the signs... you should know them well by now. B)

PM me - I may be able to help.

Hopefully Joel can assist in some way.

I can't see evidence of bullying as one poster mentioned.

Leaking roofs here are relatively easy and cheap to fix. we can only be talking about a few hundred baht.

plumbing is relatively easy and cheap to fix. another few hundred baht.

You just may have a Lazy Landlord who doesn't give a Sh$t about the maintenance or your well being. He's probably unfixable.

I hope I'm wrong

Thank you for heartening response. Feeling better this morning. I guess it came to a head when the damp attracted the toads. The kitchen is an outdoor Thai one and the cupboard doors wouldn't close (too waterlogged so the wood swelled) and the toads moved in permanently. Hot on their heels came a 5 foot green and yellow snake, keen to help with the housekeeping. It all got a bit much, on top of the continuous problems with the TV and the internet. I will sit down calmly today and think. I DO appreciate your kind advice. Thank you very much.

The only comforting thing I can add, is that the snake was probably a golden tree snake and, therefore,non- poisonous. My penny's worth: there are many very nice areas in CR, set yourself a time limit for how long you are willing to tolerate the conditions/ lack of repair of same, and if not sorted by that date, move. CR forum posters will help with suggestions of where is nice, what they know is available etc.

While life is not meant to be totally problem free, having to put up with miserable living conditions - when you have the freedom and resources to alter this - is a shame. Don't let it spoil your stay here.

P.S Nice to hear another female voice on the forum.

And don't think you're all alone when it is time to move. I can help. That would be a fun day, getting you out of a bad place and into a nicer one. I have a small (I mean small) truck and I can probably rustle up a friend or two who would have something bigger to carry stuff in. Just let me know a few days ahead of time. And let me know if I need to bring a cage for your housekeeping helper. But leave the toads. The new place will come with its own toads but hopefully, they will stay outside.

I loved the humidifier story. Reminded me of my mother-in-law, years ago, getting a tough steak at a steak house. She called the server over and told him that she couldn't eat the steak because it was too tough. She demonstrated for him with the steak knife, showing him she couldn't cut through it. He told her wait just a minute and he would take care of it. He brought her a different knife. But your humidifier story is even funnier than that one.

Edited by kandahar

Nonja,

If it wasn't for the fact that TIT, your predicament would be really humorous, but....I know it can be more real that what you would what it to be. It reminds me of Homer and Jethros' Heartbreak Motel...a parody on the Kings' Heartbreak Hotel. I wish you luck and quickness in finding a better place. PP

Haha, maybe do it the Thai style ... the indirect approach.

Tomorrow you will have the opportunity and that for many, many hours.

Just whisper it into khun D's ear and khun W will hear it loud and clear. :lol:

As far as I know there is only one museum in Chiang Khong and that

is the bicycle museum of Alan Bate. I think I once wrote about it

in this forum. Use the search function and you will find out where.

Anyhow, everybody in Chiang Khong knows him. Have a great day!

See you next week!

Limbo :yohan:

PS: your little house is unique!

and your landlord too :D

It's the combination where the shoe pinches ...

I am very, very grateful for everyone's comments. I have looked at other options. I have even been visited by one of TV's members directly, and by another indirectly, regarding this issue. The consensus is to stay. I need to balance out the plumbing problems with the kindness of my hosts and the beauty of my surroundings. As an elderly single woman, I do not have access to a Thai partner to smooth my way. I am just going to have to grit my teeth, double my consumption of gin, and think of England. So, in summary, the floor is completely siliconed. This will not work in the long term, and is rather unattractive. The downstairs bathroom has a nice sludge of red mud everytime it rains. I am going to ignore these things. (Where is the gin?) The TV, having been reprogrammed in BKK, enabled me to watch part of The Last Samurai: I have never been particularly keen on television. However, things are looking up, and part of this is knowing there are such lovely and helpful people out there. Thank you once again.

I have no solutions to your problems but would enjoy getting to know you. I am a retired art and museum consultant, female, who has just moved here three weeks ago. So far have just been finding my way around, but soon will need to start socializing.

You might want to try finding another place - try Lanna Realty as they found my place for me.

Thanks to all of you people who write into the forum as it has helped me a great deal in exploring CR.

• 1 month later...

I finally, after 9 months, admit defeat.

+10 Thai, -0 farang.

I am now in the market for a garden enclosed room or 2, with internet, please.

And I DO recommend this place when I move out. Basically, it is a question of attrition. I have made great headway. The next person will benefit from my suffering. It is really, really nice here.

I am just too tired to go on anymore. I need to hand the baton on to the next person. Two-storey, lovely gardens, big oven and large fridge, cable TV: you will love it. I have replaced almost everything which needs replacing, and I have put in Western furniture.

I am a retired art and museum consultant, female, who has just moved here three weeks ago.

Nice, that makes three of us with a similar background.

I heard that you met Nonja already and that she was very pleased to meet you.

I send you a personal message with my e-mail address.

Welcome to Chiang Rai!

Limbo :yohan:

Oh, and Nonja: a shock to read as it is extremely difficult to find something similar.

Don't give it up as long as you haven't seen the alternatives. They might be worse, much worse ...

I hope to see you today.

Edited by Limbo

• 7 months later...

Well. I stuck it out for 16 months. But this morning, as raw sewerage floats around the bathroom floor, I really think it is time to pull the plug, so to speak.

I CAN understand that low rentals make landlords reluctant to fix things, but I have offered to pay for repairs. However, my hosts insist on employing the family friend, and everytime he comes, things get worse. Is this possible? Yes. So, one year after the earthquake, and the smearing of every surface with silicone up to a quarter of an inch thick across the tiles, the leaks continued. The new floor, installed UNDER the leaking tiles, started to rot and water poured through the kitchen cupboards. I ignored it, having become somewhat pessimistic.

The flooding of the downstairs area, after MANY months, was theoretically fixed by concreting the back of the cottage back up the hill. Of course, this made things worse. No attempt at putting in a gutter in the concrete was made, nor did they consider to slope the concrete away from the base of the wall. A small bamboo gutter was hung from the eaves with wire, but this fell off within 2 weeks and then disappeared. All the water from the guttering of the main house comes through a single downpipe, with a plastic tube attached. This tube fell off and also disappeared. That meant that all the water was channelled through the kitchen. The downstairs bathroom became a repository for red silt, carried by water leaking through the walls. This was augmented by the fact that the kitchen sink darins into the earth surrounding the kitchen through a six inch pipe, with no outlet.

I went away for a while, as you do under these circumstances. On my return, I found a healthy bee-hive had taken up residence next to the fridge, and had been left unmolested for 3 months, whereupon over 12 kilos of wax comb had to be extricated from the wall, to the delight of the staff and the discomfort of the old lady, who had to deal with thousands and thousands of bees for a week or two who had been left homeless. Unfortunately, the hole was not repaired and within a month the bees started to take up residence again. I stuffed the hole with my last remaining T-towels, the vast majority having disappeared in the communal laundry. Eventually, after much angst, the hole WAS repaired, but it would have been so much better to have done it in the beginning.

Then it was decided that the various repairs to the upstairs bathroom had not worked, so the tiled floor was replaced. As a result, the toilet stopped working. I opened the cistern to find half a packet of grout had been emptied into it, presumably on the basis that it would progress through the system when you flushed the toilet and would stop the toilet from leaking. I removed the remainder of the grout but the toilet was now non-functional. I discussed this with my landlord, who lent me a plunger. I looked at it in despair. This was NOT going to fix the problem.

However, I remained optimistic. There was a functioning toilet downstairs. Okay, the top toilet was not working, but I could use the downstairs one.

The waterlogging of the surrounding area came to a head (so to speak) with a storm last week. The entire downstairs bathroom disappeared underwater. I took photographs, because my hosts never seem to believe me when I discuss my problems with them. Out of sight, out of mind: by the next day, when the water has drained away, the problem no longer exists. I have now pinned these photographs to my front door, and placed the top of the cistern on a table in front of the door. I am not quite sure how to get the message across, but this is a start.

Then I find the downstairs toilet no longer works. Raw sewerage floats across the floor.

The carpenter arrives, and seems to think that poking a hose down the toilet will work. I do not think so.

I have been VERY patient.

I will, indeed, move. This has become ridiculous. It is all so unnecessary: I am happy to pay to fix things. One can only take so much.

I suppose the annoying thing is that I have, at my own expense, put in an additional 40,000 BAHT worth of improvements and upgrades, such as a new hot water system, a large Western style oven and stove-top, functioning internet (which now works for the whole compound), replacement of faulty screen doors, new furniture, etc.. Sheer stupidity on my part. I guess I thought logic would prevail, but no. They will not allow me to fix things, and I have to admit I am utterly defeated. I must point out that they are lovely people, but a person can only take so much and my patience is wearing very thin.