Catch Of The Day

Can any of you local expats tell me where or if there is a place on Samui where the general public can go and buy fresh seafood when it has just been taken off the boats ? Is their any particular good sea food markets that you canpurchase fresh daily catch ?Thanks

In Nanthon, near the piers, (across street towards south) usually.... but may depend if boats can dock with lower tides...which we have now... so not certain at this time of year on that one.... There is another evening market, just as you head south out of Nanton, which usually smells a bit fishy!

There's a market towards Big Buddha, Bophut, where the road goes to airport... (general area)

Muslim Village south of Lamai... take the small road from 7 -11 at the bend in ring round...

I"m pretty certain, too, that the Maenam evening market would have, (Nanthon side of Maenam), also the Newer Bophut market, near the traffic lights on ring road.... think my neighbours buy theirs, there.

Perhaps others that people know about?

In Nanthon, near the piers, (across street towards south) usually.... but may depend if boats can dock with lower tides...which we have now... so not certain at this time of year on that one.... There is another evening market, just as you head south out of Nanton, which usually smells a bit fishy!

There's a market towards Big Buddha, Bophut, where the road goes to airport... (general area)

Muslim Village south of Lamai... take the small road from 7 -11 at the bend in ring round...

I"m pretty certain, too, that the Maenam evening market would have, (Nanthon side of Maenam), also the Newer Bophut market, near the traffic lights on ring road.... think my neighbours buy theirs, there.

wow u beat me to it and wrote everything for me. Sea food is much cheaper in thee markets and u can get a kilo of example prawns for the same price as 3 prawns in a posh resturant.

we usually use nathon for seafood. on the one way stretch of "beach" road many times you can buy directly from the fisherman's wives as the catch is being brought up from the boats. that bang rak market is convenient but the stench can be overpowering.

wow u beat me to it and wrote everything for me. Sea food is much cheaper in thee markets and u can get a kilo of example prawns for the same price as 3 prawns in a posh resturant.

baby keeping you up at nights???? .... so you have to sleep in??? :D:passifier:

There's also one near Rajah ferry pier. Just near the final turn at the T junction where if you go straight ahead, you'll get to the restricted military area.

There's a fishermen community just beside the military area and they'll offer any catch of the day (or few previous days...).

The stalls are located just at the T junction.

For more premium stuff, you can get very fresh seafood directly from the wholesaler at Dao Seafood market. I think most of the stuff comes from elsewhere, but apparently they also got local stuff.

I've seen plenty of lobsters, mantis shrimps and huge tiger prawns and lots of fish.

I usually buy prawns where their neck is broken and they'll sell that for you at 50% discount. Just inquire about it.

The best time is to come around 11 AM when they've just received their deliveries of the day and are busy sorting everything out and packing things. You'll be able to see what they've got and buy it from them.

Since they're wholesalers you've have to buy at least a kilo of something.

The Dao Seafood market is located at the road which goes from the red light T junction at the ring road heading past the Chinese temple towards the new Chaweng police station.