Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry For A Thai Citizen: Where ?

Spellforce

I'm resident in thailand (Nongrpue/Chonburi) and I'm going to marry with a thai girl.

We have all the documents except her "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry".

My ambassy told me that her parent could obtain this paper in her Amphur (near Budiram) and could post the paper.

Today my girlfriend called her amphur and they told her she has to be present !

I'm confused now... has she to move to her Amphur or not ?

Chonburi to Budiram is quite a big distance, we'd prefer not to travel to her amphur.

So what can we do ?

- Is it really impossible that her parents obtain this certificate without her ?

- Could an angency (in Pattaya) do the work for her ?

Thank you.

has she been married or is she married?. if not then she shouldnt need Affirmation of Freedom to Marry if she is marrying in thailand

No she has never been maried.

But my (french) ambassy needs her "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry" in order to deliver my "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry".

has she been married or is she married?. if not then she shouldnt need Affirmation of Freedom to Marry if she is marrying in thailand

But my (french) ambassy needs her "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry" in order to deliver my "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry".

How very odd, still it's the French Embassy / ambassy so I guess maybe not so odd.laugh.gif

Strange! I would suggest that your girlfriend contact the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2633.php

and explain the problem to them.

If you go to an Amphur, it's likely that they won't understand what you need (as Thai Nationals do not need such a document to marry in Thailand) and will just tell you 'it's ok you don't need that'

In any case, in order for your embassy to accept whatever document you end up with, it will need to be translated and, I suspect, stamped by the MFA anyway, so that would be a good place to start.

They will, presumably, have dealt with this kind of thing before. Unless, of course, you are the very first French national to have married in Thailand! :)

OP. Do you mean Buriram? If so, it's not far away from Chonburi. :blink:

Maybe you should look at your map again Semper. Half a day drive minimum and a lot longer by public transport.

Ok,I had another look. However, the op don't have to go so he could just send his gf. Thais loves to travel. :)

ok,sorry never knew that,learned something new today,best of luck anyway and enjoy all the running around,

Edited by irishken

You make the affirmation that YOU are free to marry to your enbassy (France).

The Thai authorities simply look at her household papers to see if she is free to marry.

It is that simple.

I'm sorry, but I'm totally confused.

What, exactly, does the French embassy want from her before notarising your AFM?

Confirmation from her local ampur where she is registered on the tabien bahn that she is free to marry?

An affirmation signed by her and witnessed by a Thai official?

Her attendance at the French embassy to confirm her single status?

Something else? If so, what?

Whatever it is, this is something which, as far as I'm aware, no other embassy requires.

The Thai MFA certainly don't, and all that the ampur that registers your marriage will need is a statement from her at the time that she is free to marry, with sight of her divorce or husband's death certificate if married before.

Plus, one peculiarity of Thai law is that if she has been married before and that marriage ended less than 310 (I think) days previously then she will also need a medical certificate confirming she is not pregnant; unless she has given birth in the meantime.

Edit:

Having read astral's post above, maybe the French embassy want sight of her house papers (tabien bahn). If so, again they're the only embassy I know of that do.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

Ever looked at a Map? By bus it is about 10 hours. By private transport , dependent on how MANIC the driver is it is btw 5 and 7 hours, It is a bloody long way . My Apologies to Buckaroo, who told you the same.

Edited by afarang

Maybe you should look at your map again Semper. Half a day drive minimum and a lot longer by public transport.

4 hour drive travel at early hours of morning

4 hour drive travel at early hours of morning

At illegal speeds.Have a happy CRASH

Having read astral's post above, maybe the French embassy want sight of her house papers (tabien bahn). If so, again they're the only embassy I know of that do.

In order to deliver my AFM, the French embassy is requiring for the foreigner spouse: Tabien ban ....AND AFM !

Me too I don't see the point of this paper... but I have to do what they're asking me.

In attachment, you'll find a.pdf that mentions what my embassy is requiring:

'Futur conjoint de nationalité étrangère" = Foreign futur wife

"Certificat de célibat daté délivré depuis moins de 3 mois" = AFM aged less than 3 months

PS:

- Banglamung to Budiram is 5H30 by bus + 30km to her Amphur.

notice_mariage2010a.pdf

Then if your embassy say that they must have it from her home ampur and that ampur says she must be present for them to issue it, then she's got to make the trip.

Either that or you postpone your marriage until after she next goes home to visit her parents.

Ever looked at a Map? By bus it is about 10 hours. By private transport , dependent on how MANIC the driver is it is btw 5 and 7 hours, It is a bloody long way . My Apologies to Buckaroo, who told you the same.

Well compared to the distance France - Chonburi, I think it's not that far. And as I said before, the op don't have to go anywhere. Only his GF. :)

Strange requirement from the embassy. But I would have her call the amphur again and ask if she can give her parents a power of attorney to apply for the document on her behalf.

On second thought, I think she can get confirmation that she is not married from any amphur in Thailand, as it is a central datebase they check and i can't see way she should have to go to her hometown for that. She can also get married at any amphur in Thailand, because of the database.

When the Embassy means foreign does it mean a Non Thai person?

No. Read the whole document and it's obvious they mean non French.

A Thai does not have to prove any existing marriages to any Embassy, they have to prove it when getting married at the Registry office.

True, as far as Thai law is concerned. But we are talking about French requirements, not Thai ones; and it seems that the French embassy do require such proof from the Thai partner before they will issue an AFM to the French one.

Strange requirement from the embassy. But I would have her call the amphur again and ask if she can give her parents a power of attorney to apply for the document on her behalf.

That's what I'm trying to do now, I will give news later.

Thank you all :)

Kor Sor 3 available at any Thai Amphur office declare Thai person marital status.

My embassy is asking her the AFM = ใบรับรองความเป็นโสด ("Bai Rap Long Soot").

Well, send her to get it. What's the problem? Is she immovable? Sorry if it sounds blunt, but just put her on the bus and let her get the documents. :rolleyes:

Edit. If she is immovable, I.e. some sort of handicap, ignore my reply. :)

Edited by Semper

Very strange, I thought the affirmation of freedom to marry was a general declaration rather than something specific to one person (other than the person named in it of course!) I didn't realise you had to already have a person 'in mind' as it were :lol:

I have nothing against getting married. I've done it a couple times myself. Maybe it's just that I'm older now, but does it really matter if you get a piece of paper that says you're married or whatever. Especially if you're a non-resident of a foriegn country. I fully understand the obligations that go along with being legally married, but aren't you better off not saying anything about your situation. Who cares?