Why Did They Do That?

John K

I am not exactly sure why I am starting this thread except for the curiosity about what others think about what we all seem to be commenting about. This is not to criticize the government but only to gage what people think is the underlying reasons for the decisions they make. Virtually every thread in the news clipping section, if the news stories base on government decisions, threads have several replies. Other news stories are less active. But to the point, when I read about some of the unusual decisions of the Thai Government I find myself thinking “that decision was well thought out” or “how did they ever come up with that”, or “sure it is.” It would seem that many decisions are more knee jerk reactions and not well though out. The reasons for the decisions they make I am sure are based on several things. One of the more common thought I have is many Thais may not have the education to make important decisions resulting in the knee jerk decisions. Meaning how many Thais have found their way through school by cheating and copying, and now faced with decisions that require a solid education? Another thought that pops into my mind is, how many of the decisions are based on hiding corruption or other unknown factors?

A few more interesting decisions that come to my mind are, if the Thais are trying to attract tourists, then why are they sending them to bed early at 1 or 2 A.M.? Many tourists come from colder climates and can’t tolerate the daytime weather. Because of that night activities are desired. If it was meant to dampen the adult entertainment, all it did was move it from the legal bars to the illegal street bars and cut the governments vat tax revenues. Tourists are simply picking another destination country that has a all night long night life. Another decision is the desire to censor the Internet, or the odd crackdowns on this and that, and avoiding the decisions that make sense to so many observers.

So without being reactive or negative to the decisions they make, what do you think are the underlying reasons for them. I hope not to be adding too many more replies to this thread, but I am very curious as to what others think are the reasons for the decisions the Thais make. Perhaps they think we don’t notice.

I am not exactly sure why I am starting this thread except for the curiosity about what others think about what we all seem to be commenting about. This is not to criticize the government but only to gage what people think is the underlying reasons for the decisions they make. Virtually every thread in the news clipping section, if the news stories base on government decisions, threads have several replies. Other news stories are less active. But to the point, when I read about some of the unusual decisions of the Thai Government I find myself thinking “that decision was well thought out” or “how did they ever come up with that”, or “sure it is.” It would seem that many decisions are more knee jerk reactions and not well though out. The reasons for the decisions they make I am sure are based on several things. One of the more common thought I have is many Thais may not have the education to make important decisions resulting in the knee jerk decisions. Meaning how many Thais have found their way through school by cheating and copying, and now faced with decisions that require a solid education? Another thought that pops into my mind is, how many of the decisions are based on hiding corruption or other unknown factors?

A few more interesting decisions that come to my mind are, if the Thais are trying to attract tourists, then why are they sending them to bed early at 1 or 2 A.M.? Many tourists come from colder climates and can’t tolerate the daytime weather. Because of that night activities are desired. If it was meant to dampen the adult entertainment, all it did was move it from the legal bars to the illegal street bars and cut the governments vat tax revenues. Tourists are simply picking another destination country that has a all night long night life. Another decision is the desire to censor the Internet, or the odd crackdowns on this and that, and avoiding the decisions that make sense to so many observers.

So without being reactive or negative to the decisions they make, what do you think are the underlying reasons for them. I hope not to be adding too many more replies to this thread, but I am very curious as to what others think are the reasons for the decisions the Thais make. Perhaps they think we don’t notice.

John, I am not quite sure where you are going with this post...but I agree 100% with your following comment.. "I am not exactly sure why I am starting this thread " That makes two of us I reckon. :o

John, I am not quite sure where you are going with this post...but I agree 100% with your following comment.. "I am not exactly sure why I am starting this thread " That makes two of us I reckon. :o

I am curious into the workings of peoples thinking. How they reason and what is the basis of their opinion. It at the very least will make people think deeper than the reactive level and read between the lines. Also I am hopeful the Thais will make better decisions when they can see what people think about the underlying reasons.

I found the 'C.H' clue on his website.

It said 'Click Here'

I am curious into the workings of peoples thinking. How they reason and what is the basis of their opinion.

Well, nice idea, but sorry i'm too busy to be deconstructed.

Enjoyed your topic though. Byeee !

John Krukowski, C.H.

Take advantage of all you can be.

What does the C.H. stand for after your name?

The information you seek is in my profile.

A direct answer is much more useful. I am always suspicious of people who do not know what they do or cannot communicate it. Your response leaves one wondering if a certified "C.H" has any credibility.

Money, power, face - not necessarily in that order.

Agreed,but you also forgot another reason. "The first thing that pops into their head" one. :o

Agreed,but you also forgot another reason. "The first thing that pops into their head" one. :D

I thought we all took that for granted :o:D

John Krukowski, C.H.

A direct answer is much more useful. I am always suspicious of people who do not know what they do or cannot communicate it. Your response leaves one wondering if a certified "C.H" has any credibility.

I understand your concern. Please know that if I disclose more I would never have been able to get my work permit. I trust you know that certain types of professionals are prohibited from working in Thailand. Things are not always as they appear in Thailand so please leave it at that. I rather not get into this again, it seems to be common when I post. As for the_moog, I meant the Thais and not the people who post here.

John Krukowski, C.H.

I understand your concern. Please know that if I disclose more I would never have been able to get my work permit. I trust you know that certain types of professionals are prohibited from working in Thailand. Things are not always as they appear in Thailand so please leave it at that. I rather not get into this again, it seems to be common when I post. As for the_moog, I meant the Thais and not the people who post here.

Perhaps you should have not used the 'c.h.' after your name....it's not required you know. So why did you add it to your name if it can have such a negative side effect? I certainly would have omitted it.

That has to be lamest attempt at spamming I have seen for some time. :D

Now make your mind blank, relax and concentrate on the centre of the circle...

spiral.gif

:o:D

Agreed,but you also forgot another reason. "The first thing that pops into their head" one. :o

I think that we are all very used to western politicians who are all very well coached and trained to avoid saying anything controversial. Western politicians will rarely say anything meaningful in an unscripted and candid environment. The code word here is message. Bush is a prime example of someone who is a really horrible public speaker who couldn't think on his feet if his life depended on it. He has a variety of memorized responses and when asked an unexpected question will babble meaningless words for a moment until he remembers one of his stock responses that seems to fit the situation and trots it on out.

Thai politicians are less sophisticated in this manner. They really DO say the first thing that pops into their heads. While the western press will cheerfully crucify any politician who opens his mouth and inserts his foot, the Thai press will diligently write down and publish whatever nonsense the PM or any other high ranking person says. The thing is, the Thai's KNOW that these guys are talking through their hats and don't really pay any attention to these meaningless announcements. We Farangs, on the other hand, don't know what to take seriously and what to ignore. Consequently, we often respond to political nonsense with panic and indignation.

I think that we are all very used to western politicians who are all very well coached and trained to avoid saying anything controversial. Western politicians will rarely say anything meaningful in an unscripted and candid environment. The code word here is message. Bush is a prime example of someone who is a really horrible public speaker who couldn't think on his feet if his life depended on it. He has a variety of memorized responses and when asked an unexpected question will babble meaningless words for a moment until he remembers one of his stock responses that seems to fit the situation and trots it on out.

Thai politicians are less sophisticated in this manner. They really DO say the first thing that pops into their heads. While the western press will cheerfully crucify any politician who opens his mouth and inserts his foot, the Thai press will diligently write down and publish whatever nonsense the PM or any other high ranking person says. The thing is, the Thai's KNOW that these guys are talking through their hats and don't really pay any attention to these meaningless announcements. We Farangs, on the other hand, don't know what to take seriously and what to ignore. Consequently, we often respond to political nonsense with panic and indignation.

So are you saying you feel it is part of the culture? I see some decisions as power grabbing. For example the Internet crackdown. It may have been started in relationship to what is going on in the south, but evolved to be a tool the PM can use to silence his critics. His hostility to them has been well publicized by the press. I felt that was coming long before it happened. If that is true then the next logical step should be predictable but what it will be exactly would depend on the moment. More than likely some police visits, or more police visits if they are underway already.

Admin!!!!

You have choices!!

-Close this topic

-Ignored this bias Bu..it Farang

-Or going to reported

www.cyberpolice.go.th

This is too much barking without fact or an information just from bigmouth and a junk yard dog farang who feels  lookdown Thai people.

I am sorry you feel that way about questions and just looking to understand things via collective opinions. Rather than criticizing, why not add some useful information. That is all this thread is trying to do is discover some answers without any negatives. Not everyone has a negative point of view, and by no way am I trying to put Thais down. Look at it as a student asking a question. I am sure you would do the same if you were looking to find some information. Please don’t assume negatives where none are. I don’t see any harm in asking if one wants to know and discover. Can you honestly say you would not do the same?

This is too much barking without fact or an information.

Accurate fact and information is hard to come by in Thailand. It would seem to be the cause of many business failures. If you have a place where accurate fact and information can be found related to this thread, please provide it. If you a unable then please try not to criticize people trying the next best thing.

If people in Thailand have accurate information, then Thailand will grow and prosper with successful business ventures and make it a better place all around. The countries that do the best have the best information for business and their people. Again this thread is trying to discover the logic behind what goes on in decision making. Once we can figure it out, then wonderful things will happen for everyone as we can look ahead and have some reasonable idea as to what may be coming. Everyone has a different view as why thing happen as they do. Not everyone has the same. In a collective thread like this, it allows other to see other points of view and generate new concepts on how to prosper in Thailand. Don’t you agree?

Edited by john Krukowski