12Call 3G Settings For Pc?

rikki

How do I set up my Nokia s60v3 phone and my windows xp internet connection so I can use AIS/12call 3g on my computer via usb cable?

It's an N79 and does wifi etc

I have Nokia OVI installed

Do I need a new access point, and how do I configure it?

Do I put ais.co.th somewhere?

i've already paid AIS for 1gb

I cant find enough info on google

everything goes ok until I press connect(on ovi)

then an error message comes up

I got AIS to setup the phone, downloaded the settings from ais, got latest updates(72mb ovi and 132mb nokia)

so I'll take the laptop in to nokia or ais asap

What you're trying to do is not possible.

You can connect your phone to your PC via USB or Bluetooth and use it as a 2G (low speed GSM data: GPRS/EDGE) dial-up modem.

You can NOT use 3G in this USB/dial-up application.

With some phones (iPhone, Android, others) you can establish a 3G data connection and then share that connection via WiFi to your PC. This is sometimes referred to as "tethering" or "mobile AP".

I am not sure if the N79 supports this capability.

I assume you've verified that the N79 can connect to AIS 3G?

edited to add: You could get a USB 3G Air-Card or even a 3G MiFi device.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/aircard/

Edited by lomatopo

Is that true,really?

No. You can USB-tether to 3G networks the same way as to GPRS/Edge.

But the question is: do you want it? Having a cable connection is clumsy. Wireless is the way to go, you can place your phone near a window and get (probably) better reception.

I am trying joikuspot but my phone has extra problems atm. it is in the shop getting a new display

anyway telewiz said it would work as a usb modem

AIS tried to set it up as a bluetooth connection but could not ,said there's a problem with my laptops bluetooth

I forgot to take the usb cable in to them, so will try again with them to set it up monday.

Joikuspot sounds good, but I'd like the USB cable for battery life, and also as OVIsuite is supposed to work,

I would like find out why it does not

I also have a desktop PC to set up the same way, so want to understand the processes involved

I am trying joikuspot but my phone has extra problems atm. it is in the shop getting a new display

anyway telewiz said it would work as a usb modem

AIS tried to set it up as a bluetooth connection but could not ,said there's a problem with my laptops bluetooth

I forgot to take the usb cable in to them, so will try again with them to set it up monday.

Joikuspot sounds good, but I'd like the USB cable for battery life, and also as OVIsuite is supposed to work,

I would like find out why it does not

I also have a desktop PC to set up the same way, so want to understand the processes involved

I have done USB-Tethering to a Nokia only with a Linux-Box, so cannot give you instructions for Ovi-Suite.

Bluetooth tethering is very easy, but as you will most probably have BT 2.0 or so, speed is a concern when using fast 3G.

Joikuspot is indeed heavy on battery. While they did a lot of optimizations to keep battery use low, it still cannot be neglected. If at home, keep your charger connected.

One more hint: if you use the free version of Joikuspot, be prepared that this works without encryption. Everybody has access to your "hot spot".

I tried it the first time in a hotel when a few minutes later another hotel guest found "oh, there is free wifi here, that's fine... " :) Fortunately you can easily see who is connected to your phone.

Therefore try it out with the free version, but buy the proper one when everything works as you expect.

What you're trying to do is not possible.

You can connect your phone to your PC via USB or Bluetooth and use it as a 2G (low speed GSM data: GPRS/EDGE) dial-up modem.

Well this idiot poster (me) is WRONG! Apologies to rikki.

Sorry.

Obviously on some/many phones (iPhone, Android, Nokia, et al.) it is possible to connect the phone to a PC via USB and use the phone's 2G (via dial-up) or 3G (via internet sharing) mobile broadband capabilities. Every phone - PC - OS is likely to have unique requirements.

For Android, I believe 2.2 (Frozen Yogurt) is required, further you will need USB Remote NDIS Network Device Driver which is typically developed by the phone manufacturer. This driver essentially makes your phone's 3G WAN connection look like a LAN network adapter.

When I plugged my Android phone into my PC, and enabled USB Tethering (see picture below), the SAMSUNG Android Remote NDIS Network Device driver started installing. I have no idea where Windows got that from as I do not believe I had an internet connection at that point? (I run Win7/64.) Once installed this showed up as a network adapter. (see picture below) And I had an internet connection.

Not sure how this works in the Nokia world. I searched and searched, read through hundreds of forum posts, and can't figure out if the N79 has a unique specific Windows NDIS driver? There are some vague references to this working with the N8. Maybe there is a single Nokia NDIS driver? Also not sure if the N79 requires any additional software? Or even how OVI/PC Suite might fit into this solution? Maybe OVI Suite has all the requisite drivers? (The documentation on both the N79 and OVI Suite is lacking. The N8 and C7 User's Guides are robust but still not detailed on tethering.)

I haven't tested 2G (GPRS/EDGE), or even understand now how that might work? Also not sure what happens with inbound SMS, voice calls. I may mess around a bit and post follow-up here.

This is definitely a great feature to have. Essentially it replaces a USB Air-card.

post-9615-0-52559800-1314160048_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-81399500-1314160080_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

A quick follow up with two more pictures; detailing the device driver and the results using DTAC.

And as clarification, this USB Tethering is different from Mobile AP, where you share the phone's WAN connection via WiFi to other devices.

post-9615-0-99807500-1314160570_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-93208300-1314160581_thumb.jp