Quality Thai Food At Thai Prices

MrChangers

For those following the posts about getting ripped off eating Thai food I am happy to suggest the little diner inside the Inter Inn reception. I eat there along with Mrs Changers and the prices are all Thai. It is word of mouth amongst the locals that got us there, no set meals you shout what you fancy and the lady called Da seems to make it happen. No menu as it is typical Thai not Farang biased. The beer is about the same as 7/11 prices and she does tea/coffee/soft drinks. I had the fried basil leaves with rice and pork today, bloody lovely! Mrs Changers wolfed the omelette with pork. Mrs Changers is a fussy eater but she insists we go whenever we are near.

Go down Thapae road soi 5 (7/11 0n the corner past the Wat) or straight in 200 M from Flight of the Gibbon just down from Thapae gate, also opposite Soi 1 Loi Kroh

Always happy to support local business that gives quality and fair prices.

There's a Thai restaurant about fifty metres North of the Dukes, on the river, same side of the road, nothing on the menu over TB 59 and most at 29 & 39 - excellent quality food, especially the hung lay (sp).

There are some excellent value Thai restaurants in Chiang Mai that don't rip you off and serve quality food. There are a few excellent farang places.

I will get around to trying Butter is Better's Pizza one day, but I only eat that once a year, not my favourite food. I've a lot of other good things on their list to try first.

Edited by uptheos

A wonderful place I have found is "Tiger Kingdom" in the city just after rounding the corner, inside the moat, before Mad dog and thapa gate. Plently of free off road parking behind. Quiet coverd back dining balcony, Inside with meeting rooms up stairs, and a covered front balcony with seating and live music everynight that is nice and not too laud to talk. Food is every kind, breakfast, lunch and dinner, And Thai dishes start at about 30 baht just like the market near my home. The food is excelent, the music good, Mostly in english. And a full bar if you wish.

I go several times a week. Its wonderful

Thanks but, someone mentioned pizza and I was impressed by the ones that they have just started making. There is not a lot of competition in the pizza-that-actually-tastes-good department in Thailand IMHO. ;)

Edited by Ulysses G.

just a quick question about Khao man gai. why don't restaurants serve it on evening and night times? seems like it's only available as a breakfast and lunch?

the best one i've had is near the small roundabout in santithma, where is the police box also. open from 7 or 8 to 16:00.

just a quick question about Khao man gai. why don't restaurants serve it on evening and night times? seems like it's only available as a breakfast and lunch?

Yes, that does seem to be the case at most places, especially the famous ones. But not always, there used to be a road-side place doing excellent khao man kai and it was still serving at dinner time. Nice older couple running it, but it closed a year or two ago.

One of my favourites is Pan Pan, behind Wat Suan Dok. It`s vegetarian but there`s enough variety on the menu to satisfy most tastes. It`s slightly more expensive than the traditional rice and noodle shops, but still excellent value. The location is beautiful, the tastes are fantastic and the presentation equals many nouveau cuisine places in Europe. They opened a 2nd restaurant a few months ago on Huay Kao rd, diametrically opposite Amari Rincome. I think the food is organically grown on their farm.

I go to a nice Thai restaurant for dinners at 555 (hah hah hah in thai, easy to remember) Charoen Mueang Rd. - about 1/2 way between the train station and 1st ring road (Hwy. 11) north side of street. This is a Thai restaurant for Thais - good prices, good food - they have a copy of the menu in English although its missing a lot of the dishes on the regular Thai menu. They specialize in the local fried tim fish served 1/2 a dozen (or more) ways - chu chi (red curry, my favorite), sweet and sour, fried garlic, etc. Lot's of 'regulars' and takeout business, keeps the place busy between 6 and 9. (open 5 to midnight)

Thanks but, someone mentioned pizza and I was impressed by the ones that they have just started making. There is not a lot of competition in the pizza-that-actually-tastes-good department in Thailand IMHO. ;)

Do they deliver and if so, do you have a phone number, please?

They are a Thai Visa sponsor and you can click on their advert on the side of the page, but here is the number of the main branch:

087-174-1009

Getting back to the topic, they also have Thai food, but I am not sure that it is on the delivery menu.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I hadn't intended to post this info so the details are a little vague (perhaps someone else can give more precise detail)but my wife and I had a pleasant dining experience today.

A very clean and pleasant, air-conditioned room. Buffet lunch (Thai) between 11.30 and 1.30 (?). A chicken dish - not too spicy. A vegetarian dish - not too spicy. A vegetable style soup. White Rice. A pork dish. A limited range of salads with dressings. 3 different dessert "thingies" with syrups to cover. A syrup drink plus water & ice.

I am not into Thai food generally because I find it too spicy but this was very acceptable and the bill came to the princely amount of 69 baht each.

There is a menu of other Thai foods all at moderate prices.

I do not know the name of the establishment. It appears to be a tandem arrangement with a coffee and cake shop serving other smoothies and drinks. It looks pretty new to me. There is a comfortable lounge room with upholstered chairs and free wi-fi. The coffee and cake section prices looked fairly usual for slightly better shops.

Location: about 150 (?)metres before Chang Puak Gate on the outside of the moat - i.e 150 metres before where the food carts congregate every evening. There are a number of banners/flags on the pavement/sidewalk screaming "69 baht". Not too difficult to find.

Will be interested to read replies to this because I can't really compare this type of dining since I usually don't go for it.

At that price however, how far can you really go wrong?

Enjoy.

Cheers.

Is it open ? we went there about half a year ago and it looked closed for long time like out of bussines .

One of my favourites is Pan Pan, behind Wat Suan Dok. It`s vegetarian but there`s enough variety on the menu to satisfy most tastes. It`s slightly more expensive than the traditional rice and noodle shops, but still excellent value. The location is beautiful, the tastes are fantastic and the presentation equals many nouveau cuisine places in Europe. They opened a 2nd restaurant a few months ago on Huay Kao rd, diametrically opposite Amari Rincome. I think the food is organically grown on their farm.

The place before Riders Corner that I like is on the corner of Soi 9, they do strong business - I have been going there for 18 months - never disappointed, do try the Pad Ki Mao Kai, it is a winner, and the Mam Phad Kai; prices are half way between Thai & tourist, 40 to 90 baht covers most options, the serves are big when you get to 50 baht & over. Any chicken or Pork curry type dish at the 90 Baht range will stop all but the most rapacious !

The next gem is in the back of the car park opposite Rimping Supermarket just over the Iron Bridge, it is the open place at the very hard right rear, outstanding food, hard to find better Thai food anywhere I have been in Thai - and real Thai prices, 35 Baht ! the lady owner / Chef was working at a 4 or 5 star Hotel, now this is a family concern, when there is a big volume deal on - like last World Cup the Hotel pay her so much she closes down and goes back to oversee the kitchen for 7 to 10 days, luckily a rarity - well recommended. - Enjoy and post comment if you try ~

The Pun Pun diagonally across from Amari Rincome has closed. It was only going to be open for about 4 months from the start, starting off with the Pun Pun Festival. I have heard that the Pun Pun at Wat Suan Dok will be closing in a month or so. I'm not sure why, as they always seem to have plenty of customers. Absolutely excellent food. I hope they find a new place to start up again.

Yes, that does seem to be the case at most places, especially the famous ones. But not always, there used to be a road-side place doing excellent khao man kai and it was still serving at dinner time. Nice older couple running it, but it closed a year or two ago.

Good, cheap khao man gai and moo deang is available 24/7 in Thanin Market. In the main food/restaurant building right at the front. Very popular even at 4 a.m. Plenty of other good cheap Thai food op-tions in the same location open day time. Best moo deang and duck IMHO is on Chang Puek Road about 150M North of Mecure hotel, always busy and great value (Going North it's almost on the corner of a small Soi on the left, just past the soi leading to Wat Ku Tao on the right).

Is it open ? we went there about half a year ago and it looked closed for long time like out of bussines .

Every year they close for 7-9 days around the start of Songkran. That is because all of the leaves fall off the big tree in the center (which is the only shade there). During this time it is unbearable to sit there in the sun. Other than that they close on Wednesday.