Can Ed Visa Holder Apply For Thailand Driving License

jjray

Since when thaicruze?

A WP can be used as address verification (instead of the embassy or immigration letter), but it is most definitely not a requirement unless something has changed very recently.

As far as I am aware and non-immigrant visa will net you a DL, many transport offices will (would) issue against tourist visas too although that is not actually permitted by the regulations.

I did have no problems to get driving licence for car plus motorbike with ED-Visa.

Needed only residence certification from Embassy Bangkok and original driving licence plus translated/ authenticated copy and passport with Non-Immigrant ED-VISA.

Complete Procedere did take about little more than one hour to do all paperwork included quick motorbike ride to doctor to do 3-minute check (only blood pressure) and included colour + reaction tests. I was scared about colour blindness test because I have red/ green/ brown problems but together with my wife/ and helpful officer uncomplicated and very friendly easy procedure in Mahachai, Samut Sakhon.

Edited by futurespeter

You need a copy of your passport stamp, a certificate of residence from your landlord which you take to immigration and pay 500 baht to get stamped, a medical certificate from a doctor, and a copy of an existing out of country license. There is a short and easy test to see if you can notice colours (red and green), as well as a test to see your reflexes when a stop light turns green and red, plus proliferal vision test.

In answer to OP - Yes.

I was able to get Thai licences for car and motorcycle and buy a vehicle on an ED visa (they are officially: Non-Immigant ED Visa)

No problems at all.

No longer on an ED, but understand one difference is that when the licence comes up for renewal it will be renewed for one, not five, years.

A reminder that if applying for car and motorcycle licences, you will need to take an extra copy of all documents.

Edited by Atmos

I Agree with Atmos here,, I recently recieved my 5 year renewal of license from an initial 1 year DL, i'm on a Non Imm O,, my friend however renewed his DL, he's on tourist visa, they issued him with a further 1 year DL.

In answer to OP - Yes.

I was able to get Thai licences for car and motorcycle and buy a vehicle on an ED visa (they are officially: Non-Immigant ED Visa)

No problems at all.

No longer on an ED, but understand one difference is that when the licence comes up for renewal it will be renewed for one, not five, years.

A reminder that if applying for car and motorcycle licences, you will need to take an extra copy of all documents.

The Visa/permit to stay requirements are up to each DLT, but most in touristy/expat areas issue Thai DL to any one here legally. so any visa or permit to stay is good enough.

In addition, certificate of residence from local immigration or your embassy

medical certificate from a clinique, at max 100 baht

1. Yes, you can get a driving license on an ED visa. Bought a car on it too. Also just did a fresh DL instead of converting.

one difference is that when the licence comes up for renewal it will be renewed for one, not five, years.

2. I got my 1 year renewed by 5 years while still on the ED visa.

2. I got my 1 year renewed by 5 years while still on the ED visa.

I think things like this tend to vary office to office, but as ED is a type of Non-Immigrant visa it may be standard at 5yrs

I 'almost' got a 5yr renewal at Sa Kaeo, clerk looked at my forms and asked for the 5yr fee which I handed over, paperwork went to the supervisor for final check and approval, she came over to me and explained they could only issue 1yr as I was on a Tourist Visa (I expected this, but thought I might get away with it), issued a new receipt for lesser amount and gave me some of my fee back.

Didn't bother me, a simple enough process to renew.