Laptop Question

patpong

I am going to be in Bangkok next weekend and am in the market for a new laptop - do they have the most recent models?

I had my eye on one of the new sony vaio txmodels.

Are these likely to be available here yet and if so, can you recommend best shops/markets to head to!

Thanks

PS. are laptops cheaper here than hong kong too!?

I can't comment on that particular model/product line but I have seen dozens of shops selling at least ten different Sony Vaio models. Some ultra-lights, some regular and some wide-screen. First stop should be IT City, top floor Panthip Plaza, as they have a pretty big Vaio display, then work your way down checking out different shops.

There have been numerous discussions re: pricing difference between U.S.A., HKG, KUL, SIN, BKK but I do not recall a definitive post? Several people mentioned HKG favorably re: low pricing, but a few said it was difficult to find a reputable vendor. Warranty and service issues need to be factored in, as do currency, VAT, sales tax, shipping, etc.

edited to add: On the Sony Vaio USA website it says that the TX670P is new and that they are taking pre-orders, so I'm not sure that TX670 line will be available in Thailand?

Edited by lomatopo

I don't know that you wanna buy the new one or the used one???

Many places in bangkok that you can find Note book. Zear Rungsit, Seri Center, Seacon-IT, Pantip plaza (the land of boiled Pig), Future park IT, The Mall-IT, Tawanna-IT.

Price is depends on spec like: ram, cpu, hdd, efficiency, wireless,etc...

Starting 19,000 Baht up.

Perhaps not exactly the same model as the one in the link but SONY does seem to have TX series model in Thailand. I don't know the price on this one but SONY VAIO tend to be quite expensive in Thailand as compared to their home market in Japan. As to which shop to buy, they have fixed pricing at all outlets in Thailand except at showrooms like the one in Emporium and Mall Bangkapi which are 5% more expensive than other Sony stores.

http://www.sony.co.th/VAIO_ENG/index.html

I bought a SONY VAIO FX model about 2 years ago and it turned out to be a 'Monday' machine, just one problem after another. As it was purchased in the US getting fixes was not possible and their "Support" was terrible. The recovery disk sets have the drivers imbedded in them as CAB files and can't be extracted inividually, this made it very difficult to rebuild and customize the OS to help me with the issues. Although I eventually sidlined the machine in lieu of a new HP Pavilion it gets dragged out occasionally when I get bored and I have another go at it. ---- SONY!! NEVER AGAIN :o