Best Way To Find College Students For Work?

ThaiLover1

Advice Needed from Bangkok Teachers/Students:

What is the best way to locate a couple of English speaking college students in Bangkok, for some part-time work?

I run a California based business and would like to try to hire a couple of Thai college students for some web development work and business developments. They could all work from home, via the Internet when the time is most suitable for them. I expect to hire them as apprentices in the beginning, but I hope the experience gained should be most attractive for some high-achievers in one of the top notch schools in Bangkok.

I hope someone in this teacher's forum has some advice on locating some bright and keen college students. I travel quite a bit to Bangkok, and can easily pay a visit to one or more of the local international Bangkok schools. I will in fact be in Bangkok in November.

I am thinking to place a regular paper posting on a school bulletin board, pay a visit to some local IT teachers, electronic postings on some online bulleting boards etc.

What method do you recommend for finding some suitable students, with a minimum wear on the shoe leather (read: less traveling around Bangkok)?

Edited by ThaiLover1

You can try checking the Yahoo chat rooms. Some of the university students chat to improve their English.

You can also try posting flyers in Patpong, Soi Cowboy, or Pattaya. Many of them speak some English and some might be working their way through college.

You can probably hire someone to pass out flyers at a university campus as well.

You can also try posting flyers in Patpong, Soi Cowboy, or Pattaya. Many of them speak some English and some might be working their way through college.

Interesting that you should suggest those particular areas... :o

I'd suggest a similar thread in the Teaching Forum... one of the regulars there may have better advice that that given above.

Interesting that you should suggest those particular areas... :D

I'd suggest a similar thread in the Teaching Forum... one of the regulars there may have better advice that that given above.

I thought this was the teaching forum. :o

Since he was asking for advise and since he did say......

"I am thinking to place a regular paper posting on a school bulletin board, pay a visit to some local IT teachers, electronic postings on some online bulleting boards etc."

This dosent leave too many places left to look.

Whats wrong with looking for college kids in the locations I mentioned. Maybe there are a few of them looking for something more than what their doing. It is possible to find a single mom looking for a way out.

Wouldn't it be great to help someone to move on to something better. I'm sure there are a lot of womens groups who would support a project like this.

It might be a great advertising point which would attract potential customers because of the nobility of helping these women.

Also, look at the type of work he is offering....

"work from home, via the Internet when the time is most suitable for them"

Yahoo has tons of college kids in it's Bangkok and Thailand chat rooms.

He could make a Yahoo profile explaining his business, who he is looking for, and sit in a chat room and wait for people to come to him.

After all he did say he wanted us to....

"recommend for finding some suitable students, with a minimum wear on the shoe leather".

I use to be an Army recruiter finding qualified applicants and talking them into leaving the comfort of their Southern California home was my business.

My advice, was good advice. I didn't see you offer anything better.

Thanks folks.

To clarify: I know there are many options for locating suitable workers in Thailand - including handing out flyers in Patpong etc (laugh), but I am looking for the most easy and most quick way to find high quality educated talent (read: college students).

For example, can someone recommend a school web site where I can place a classified ad etc? There must be some easy and high-tech way to do this, right?

Thanks for all the tips so far...

Edited by ThaiLover1

Thanks folks.

To clarify:  I know there are many options for locating suitable workers in Thailand - including handing out flyers in Patpong etc (laugh), but I am looking for the most easy and most quick way to find high quality educated talent (read: college students).

For example, can someone recommend a school web site where I can place a classified ad etc?  There must be some easy and high-tech way to do this, right?

Thanks for all the tips so far...

Let me see, you want a quick and easy way to find Thai college students who speak excellent English, are great at web development work and business development, and are highly motivated and will work hard, etc........hahahhahaha

ahahhahahahahah

hahahahahah

Advice Needed from Bangkok Teachers/Students:

What is the best way to locate a couple of English speaking college students in Bangkok, for some part-time work?

I run a California based business and would like to try to hire a couple of Thai college students for some web development work and business developments.  They could all work from home, via the Internet when the time is most suitable for them.  I expect to hire them as apprentices in the beginning, but I hope the experience gained should be most attractive for some high-achievers in one of the top notch schools in Bangkok.

I hope someone in this teacher's forum has some advice on locating some bright and keen college students.  I travel quite a bit to Bangkok, and can easily pay a visit to one or more of the local international Bangkok schools.    I will in fact be in Bangkok in November.

I am thinking to place a regular paper posting on a school bulletin board, pay a visit to some local IT teachers, electronic postings on some online bulleting boards etc. 

What method do you recommend for finding some suitable students, with a minimum wear on the shoe leather (read: less traveling around Bangkok)?

Can i do it , I am from the u.s. and i want to get out of the U.s.

lets think now.  how about advertising the jobs as part time??

Lets think now; (smile)

Hmmm, when I was a college kid the furthest thing from my mind was work. It was all play, study and sleep. But, I may have considered work, if I saw an interesting posting on a school bulletin board, or heard a positive recommendation from a school teacher.

I am hoping to elicit a response from the larger pool of college students that are not already reading the job web sites.

Anyone have any experience with reaching on-campus Thailand college students? Is there a web site for this?

Edited by ThaiLover1

Thanks for asking.

US wage earners are too expensive, and sometimes have a spoiled, lazy attitude.

I am looking for talent that is not spoon-fed from childhood and is ready to move up to the next level - given the right opportunity. There are plenty of "have-nots" in Thailand, but I am trying to find someone with a bright attitude, nevertheless. I am not asking for hundereds of students. I am only looking for two people, right now.

I guess you arelady know the asnwer to your question and are asking the US question as joke, but the above is my answer.

Edited by ThaiLover1

I think Chownahs point is finding high quality, educated talent will be difficult. Kinda like trying to find farm kids in the US state of Maine who speak fluent spanish.

Have you ever been crab fishing. You toss a trap in the water and let it sit and haul it out later.

I think the best way (without using much effort) to find computer savy kids that speak English is to make yourself a a yahoo ID, a website with a form to request more info, and put that Yahoo ID in a Yahoo Thai chatroom.

There are many university kids in there chatting away.

Once they check out your website and are impressed with your offer, they will email you for more info.

lets think now.  how about advertising the jobs as part time??

Lets think now; (smile)

Hmmm, when I was a college kid the furthest thing from my mind was work. It was all play, study and sleep. But, I may have considered work, if I saw an interesting posting on a school bulletin board, or heard a positive recommendation from a school teacher.

I am hoping to elicit a response from the larger pool of college students that are not already reading the job web sites.

Anyone have any experience with reaching on-campus Thailand college students? Is there a web site for this?

Have you tried putting an advert in for part timers?

Sounds to me you want to do it in the cheapest possible way rather than the best way.

Surely the enthusiastic / driven will be the ones looking for jobs on the web sites and not sitting on their <deleted> waiting for it to be handed to them?

Thanks for asking.

I am looking for talent that is not spoon-fed from childhood and is ready to move up to the next level - given the right opportunity. There are plenty of "have-nots" in Thailand, but I am trying to find someone with a bright attitude, nevertheless. I am not asking for hundereds of students. I am only looking for two people, right now.

I guess you arelady know the asnwer to your question and are asking the US question as joke, but the above is my answer.

hmph, sounds like you're basically a tight wad who wants to bank off of cheaper labor, especially with your appeal to the poor "have-nots." Why don't you appeal to US students? There are plenty of very ambitious, skilled ones. Or perhaps some students from India? India's become quite the IT powerhouse. Since it's all through the internet, sounds like anyone anywhere could do it.

Thanks for asking.

hmph, sounds like you're basically a tight wad who wants to bank off of cheaper labor, especially with your appeal to the poor "have-nots." Why don't you appeal to US students? There are plenty of very ambitious, skilled ones. Or perhaps some students from India? India's become quite the IT powerhouse. Since it's all through the internet, sounds like anyone anywhere could do it.

A 'tight was' is one way to put it...but you might also say he is 'cost conscious'. Usually when running a business you try to minimize your production costs. If there is a cheaper pool of labor out there somewhere and you don't utilize it then you will likely be putting yourself at a disadvantage because your competiters probably will.

If the original poster wants to PM me or anyone else for that matter I have access to these types of students. I can put an ad up, put out the word whatever. I am an instructor and am always looking for work to throw their way.

You may be suprised that apathy is quite widespread here in Thailand when it comes to work.

Edited by BigA

A 'tight was' is one way to put it...but you might also say he is 'cost conscious'.  Usually when running a business you try to minimize your production costs.  If there is a cheaper pool of labor out there somewhere and you don't utilize it then you will likely be putting yourself at a disadvantage because your competitors probably will.

Very well spoken. Thanks for the help with the wording. It looks a few anti-business thinkers in this forum need to be rebuttled. (smile)

US workers are smart, but too expensive and spoiled (read: production costs are too high.) I know, since I worked as a consultant in the USA for extremly high hourly rates.

Indians are also smart and do good work, but their competitive pricing edge is waning fast.

As example of "cost conscious"; if someone offered a brand new BMW in BKK at a fraction of the sticker price in USA, should I refuse and go and buy a full price BMW in USA instead - for some noble cause? I think most people would agree with me that would be crazy to pay the higher price for the same item.

(In actuality, the BMWs are more than twice the regular price in Thailand, because of the government luxury taxes, but I am just showing this an example of being 'cost conscious' and it is all positive to search for a bargin.)