Tyre Repairs

mrclough

Ok, so this morning I set off to go to Kawasaki in town. Out the gate and thought, hmmm this feels a bit odd. Checked the rear tyre and it was down with what appeared to be a slow puncture.

The tyres are only a few weeks / couple of thousand km old so I'm gonna have to have it repaired before i can get the bike anywhere to get it changed if i need to do so.

so, my question to the wealth of knowledge on here is

Would you just straight out replace or would you go for a repair?

The tyre is on my Versys and is almost brand new as mentioned above.

This is not about saving a few Baht here or there, I would just like your advice / thoughts / opinions on this matter and your reasoning / logic behind them.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edited by mrclough

With tires who slowly lose pressure you also need to look into another possibility... that you tire is leaking air because it was not correctly mounted. (of course if you see a nail or screw sticking out of your tire you can think different)....

Buy a bucket of tire grease (Michelin TIGRE-80 grease will do fine) or get another equivalent product, remount the tire and look what happens...

post-12170-0-82032400-1314098287_thumb.j

I had the same thing on my gsxr 3 weeks back. Wobbly rear end and subsequently a small piece of metal found on the way to Khao Yai. Had it plugged as I was in the middle of nowhere but I'm gonna get it replaced as it's done nearly 10000 kms anyway. Also had a tyre plugged on the 250 Ninja and rode that one for about 3000 kms with the plug - no issues but it was always on the back of my mind when riding and the stock tyres were crap anyway so I replaced them.

Up to you I guess, the general consensus is that it's pretty safe but the thought of something going wrong at high speed is enough to make me spend a few thousand baht and get it replaced. Kind of sticks in the throat though.

I had the rear tyre on a scooter instantly blow on me last Saturday after hitting a pot hole on Petchaburi Road in Bangkok at around 60 kmh. That one was due to over-inflation I believe as the tyre and inner tube had never been repaired and the tyre had been pumped up by Somchai in a gas station the week before by the bikes owner - should have checked it really. Pretty scary even at 60, just about managed to coast to a halt but wouldn't fancy saving it at 160+

On a city runaround I'd probably risk it but be careful, but on a bike like a Versys capable of around 200 kmh I'd recommend a replacement.

Must be the week for it... I came out of the office tonight to find the rear tyre on my 650 Ninja flat as a tack. Fortunately the security guard had noticed it during the day and pointed it out to me. Walked down to Central to get a can of tyre weld and a pair of pliers, then back to fix the flat. Unfortunately, the offending object was a section of a box cutter blade so the tyre weld was not too effective, but kept enough air in it to limp to the gas station where Somchai inserted a plug which got me home, but I don't trust it.

If it had been a nice clean nail, I might have chanced trusting the plug around town, but it would always make me uneasy.

About 5,000km on the tyre, but it's going to the scrap heap.

While I'm at it, probably time to put a new larger rear sprocket and chain on!

Cheers.

I had the same thing on my gsxr 3 weeks back. Wobbly rear end and subsequently a small piece of metal found on the way to Khao Yai. Had it plugged as I was in the middle of nowhere but I'm gonna get it replaced as it's done nearly 10000 kms anyway. Also had a tyre plugged on the 250 Ninja and rode that one for about 3000 kms with the plug - no issues but it was always on the back of my mind when riding and the stock tyres were crap anyway so I replaced them.

Up to you I guess, the general consensus is that it's pretty safe but the thought of something going wrong at high speed is enough to make me spend a few thousand baht and get it replaced. Kind of sticks in the throat though.

I had the rear tyre on a scooter instantly blow on me last Saturday after hitting a pot hole on Petchaburi Road in Bangkok at around 60 kmh. That one was due to over-inflation I believe as the tyre and inner tube had never been repaired and the tyre had been pumped up by Somchai in a gas station the week before by the bikes owner - should have checked it really. Pretty scary even at 60, just about managed to coast to a halt but wouldn't fancy saving it at 160+

On a city runaround I'd probably risk it but be careful, but on a bike like a Versys capable of around 200 kmh I'd recommend a replacement.

In EU, plugging has been illegal for a decade on tyres for vehicles not speed limited to 80 kmh, in other words legal only on large trucks and busses speedlimited to 80 kmh.

Vulcing works fine tho

Had a screw in my Vigos 17 inchers, and as my tyre shop know I like to keep the speed up, there was no disussion, they just said we dont plug your tyre. Complete vulcing job 150 baht and an hour :)

In EU, plugging has been illegal for a decade on tyres for vehicles not speed limited to 80 kmh, in other words legal only on large trucks and busses speedlimited to 80 kmh.

Vulcing works fine tho

Had a screw in my Vigos 17 inchers, and as my tyre shop know I like to keep the speed up, there was no disussion, they just said we dont plug your tyre. Complete vulcing job 150 baht and an hour :)

I don't think something being illegal always equates to being dangerous, any more than cigarettes and alcohol being perfectly legal make them non-dangerous - best to make up your own mind on some issues smile.gif

Although on this one we're kind of saying the same thing, as I said on a bike I think a replacement is the best option even though I admit to risking it myself for a while (something I wouldn't do again on a sportsbike). Vulcing might be OK on a car if done properly, but "keeping the speed up" in a 4 wheeled pickup truck is a bit different to riding hard on a 200 kmh+ bike. The difference between 150 and 4000 baht won't seem like much if the tyre fails at high speed on a bike. And to be honest, given the level of workmanship in Thailand I wouldn't trust a tyre shop to do a 150 baht vulcing job properly any more than I'd trust them to do a 10 baht "inflate this tyre to within 50% of the right psi" job properly.

i dont trust garage attendants to pump up my tyres either so i usually give him 20 thb "tip"

and remove the airline from his hands and pump them myself

Vulcing works fine tho

I don't think something being illegal always equates to being dangerous, any more than cigarettes and alcohol being perfectly legal make them non-dangerous - best to make up your own mind on some issues :)

Although on this one we're kind of saying the same thing, as I said on a bike I think a replacement is the best option even though I admit to risking it myself for a while (something I wouldn't do again on a sportsbike). Vulcing might be OK on a car if done properly, but "keeping the speed up" in a 4 wheeled pickup truck is a bit different to riding hard on a 200 kmh+ bike. The difference between 150 and 4000 baht won't seem like much if the tyre fails at high speed on a bike. And to be honest, given the level of workmanship in Thailand I wouldn't trust a tyre shop to do a 150 baht vulcing job properly any more than I'd trust them to do a 10 baht "inflate this tyre to within 50% of the right psi" job properly.

i dont trust garage attendants to pump up my tyres anymore either so i usually give him 20 thb "tip" to go away

while removing the airline from his hands and pump them myself :)

then check with my own pressure guage against the guage on the airline if there is one

get some funny looks in the garages sometimes but its the only way i can be sure the tyres not about to blow off the rim when i hit a pot hole at high speeds

a few times ive left a garage and had to stop a few metres down the road and let half of the air out because the tyres were inflated to over twice the recommended psi :unsure:

Seems like what I initially thought is the general opinion then. Down to the city for a new tyre it is. It will always be in the back of my mind and for me that means it has to be changed.

Apart from putting another stock on the rear, will I really need to change the front also if I replace it?

Again this is not about how much i have to spend as opposed to do i really need to spend?

Thoughts & reasoning behind this will again be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seems like what I initially thought is the general opinion then. Down to the city for a new tyre it is. It will always be in the back of my mind and for me that means it has to be changed.

Apart from putting another stock on the rear, will I really need to change the front also if I replace it?

Again this is not about how much i have to spend as opposed to do i really need to spend?

Thanks

What sort of tires do you have? Like Bridgestone only say that they not recommend repairs for Z-rated (sportsbike) tires, and this is the same for most other motorcycle tire manufacturers.

Even sportsbike tires, if you don't do track days and don't push the bike to the edge of its capabilities you should be fine with a professional tire repair...

Read http://www.superbiketyres.com/faqs.htm

Edited by Richard-BKK

Thanks

What sort of tires do you have? Like Bridgestone only say that they not recommend repairs for Z-rated (sportsbike) tires, and this is the same for most other motorcycle tire manufacturers.

Even sportsbike tires, if you don't do track days and don't push the bike to the edge of its capabilities you should be fine with a professional tire repair...

Read http://www.superbiketyres.com/faqs.htm

Thanks for that link, good bit of information.

I currently have the stock Dunlop on the bike and they are Z rated I think so I'm just going to replace it.

It would always be on the back of my mind so for what it costs (not sure yet lol) it's not worth risking it.

Cheers to everyone for their thoughts and information with this, it's much appreciated.