PM Yingluck Tasks Deputy Chalerm To Oversee Police Reshuffle

webfact

BKK Post website says Pol Chief Wichean "seems doomed" & has photo to prove it. YL isn't smiling http://yfrog.com/h8ypoxvj /via@terryfrd

YL is also showing a rather startlingly rapid aging process after just a couple of weeks in office. :o

Clearly so.

Sad too, I doubt she signed on for the stress levels she is getting.

2 years and she'll resemble Golda Mier!

Nope, snap election before the crows feet reach her knees.

Why pour scorn on poor Yingluck?, shame on you all!,surely brotherly love has no boundaries , such devotion is to be admired, making herself the target of so much abuse and breaking pre Election promises to all and sundry , just to get her hands on the tiller so she can bring her beloved Brother back to his rightful place to save Thailand from imploding ,I tell you such devotion fair brings a tear to my eyes, LOL

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wichean concedes to a transfer if deemed appropriate

By The Nation

National police chief General Wichean Potephosee on Wednesday conceded that he would not objected to a transfer to an equivalent position out of the police service.

"Pressure is being applied to remove me," he said but made no further explanation.

Wichean said he did not lapse in his duty, hence he deserved a fair reassignment.

He voiced hope that the government would find him a suitable job.

Earlier, Wednesday,former police chief General Seripisut Temiyavej said Wichean should bow to the shifting political wind rather than resist the change.

"There are two ways to remove Wichean - the hard way or the gentle way," he said.

Seripisut said he was an example of getting and losing the job because of a change of government.

"It is normal that the powers-that-be would want their man as chief of police," he said.

He reminded Wichean that he should accept a deal to accept a new job offer to become a permanent secretary at the Tourism and Sports Ministry, which is an equivalent position in ranking and seniority.

Should Wichean refuse to be transferred, he said the government would create an inactive position for him within the police service equivalent to the police chief. If this happens, Wichean would be sidelined and the government would have the mandate to name a new police chief without violating the Police Act, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-31

".......... permanent secretary at the Tourism and Sports Ministry...."

For which he is highly qualified. He has the physique of a natural sportsman and he ripped off arrested a tourist once or twice.

Any guesses at his favourite sport - I'd have to go for bottle tipping.

Wichean concedes to a transfer if deemed appropriate

By The Nation

National police chief General Wichean Potephosee on Wednesday conceded that he would not objected to a transfer to an equivalent position out of the police service.

"Pressure is being applied to remove me," he said but made no further explanation.

Wichean said he did not lapse in his duty, hence he deserved a fair reassignment.

He voiced hope that the government would find him a suitable job.

Earlier, Wednesday,former police chief General Seripisut Temiyavej said Wichean should bow to the shifting political wind rather than resist the change.

"There are two ways to remove Wichean - the hard way or the gentle way," he said.

Seripisut said he was an example of getting and losing the job because of a change of government.

"It is normal that the powers-that-be would want their man as chief of police," he said.

He reminded Wichean that he should accept a deal to accept a new job offer to become a permanent secretary at the Tourism and Sports Ministry, which is an equivalent position in ranking and seniority.

Should Wichean refuse to be transferred, he said the government would create an inactive position for him within the police service equivalent to the police chief. If this happens, Wichean would be sidelined and the government would have the mandate to name a new police chief without violating the Police Act, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-31

An 'equivalent' position outside the police service'..... what on earth can that mean? An inactive post where he can still collect the same money?

And it appears he concedes rather to readily that 'the powers that be' would want his, sorry, her own man in charge.

Edited by kraplung

If there are illegal activities which require attention, if the police chief has not addressed these areas......

Either he is not functioning well in his role......

Or the previous government did not instruct him to address the issues.....

Do you really believe this? Gambling dens have been in Thailand for many, many years. Even during the reign of Thaksin. Why didn't he do something about them? They didn't just spring up in the past 4 years. Corruption at it's finest, or is that worst?

Easy way to get him out and a relative in.

1 Is it even possible that Deputy Police Chief, Pol.Gen.Prewpan Dhamapong, didn't know about the 42 gambling dens owned and operated by senior police officers?

2 Wouldn't you think that Pol.Gen.Prewpan Dhamapong and other top ranking generals, beyond those to be transferred, also received a share of the profits for being at the top of the food chain?

3 Don't you think that all of the top officers should be replaced and many prosecuted beyond inactive posts, for their actions?

4 Wouldn't you agree that inactive posts are a totally rediculous answer to the police corruption problem? What about real prison time instead?

1 Is it even possible that Deputy Police Chief, Pol.Gen.Prewpan Dhamapong, didn't know about the 42 gambling dens owned and operated by senior police officers?

2 Wouldn't you think that Pol.Gen.Prewpan Dhamapong and other top ranking generals, beyond those to be transferred, also received a share of the profits for being at the top of the food chain?

3 Don't you think that all of the top officers should be replaced and many prosecuted beyond inactive posts, for their actions?

4 Wouldn't you agree that inactive posts are a totally rediculous answer to the police corruption problem? What about real prison time instead?

Of course every police officer knows of these activities. They are all over Thailand, and pay bribes to police to operate.

In any modern country, the police officers directly involved would end up in jail. Here, they get another position in another government organization and still make money.

Top Democrat against Police Chief Removal

A veteran Democrat politician expresses his opinion regrading a deputy prime minister's pledge to remove the police chief from his post.

Democrat party-list MP for Surat Thani Suthep Thaugsuban criticized Deputy Minister Police Captain Chalerm Yoobamrung after he insisted that he would nominate a new national police chief within the week.

Suthep said that removing the current national police chief, Police General Wichien Podposri, from his position is unacceptable.

He said it also threatens other government officers.

Suthep said that Wichien may be transferred to an inactive post.

In addition, he affirmed that the Pheu Thai Party would not nominate deputy police chief Police General Priewpan Damapong, brother of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's ex-wife Pojaman Na Pombejra, the next national police chief immediately because the next chief must be endorsed by the Police Commission first.

Suthep added that if Chalerm transfers Wichien within seven days as he said, he will be condemned for wrongfully exercising his power.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-31

footer_n.gif

PM Chairs First Police Commission Meeting

Thailand's first female prime minister has chaired her first Police Commission meeting and says the possibility of transferring the national police chief was not discussed at the meeting.

It's becoming a reoccurring theme with Yingluck when the "Chairman of the Police Commission" left her first Police Commission meeting after just 15 minutes, before turning it over to Chalerm and saying he was in charge.

Considering his sons' interactions with the police, it's staggering irony for Chalerm to be deciding the fate of policemen once again, ten years later.

Hmm do I detect the putrid stench of yet ANOTHER whitewash!!

Or is the fox now in the hen house?

I double dare to any of the PTP fans in TV to defend the appointment of Chalerm to any government position, let alone Deputy Prime Minister.

Extra points if they can reconcile it with PTP's promise of appointing the best and most suited people to different ministries and government offices.

Of course its a horrible appointment. But if you know anything of his history as a policemen you will also know he knows exactly how things work in the force and has the connections. It is an insiders choice and a reasonably polticially clever one albeit objectionable.

It looks very much like the deal is PTP get to control police and leave at least for now the army and security service alone. DSI will be interesting

That is called being pragmatic.

Top Democrat against Police Chief Removal

A veteran Democrat politician expresses his opinion regrading a deputy prime minister's pledge to remove the police chief from his post.

Democrat party-list MP for Surat Thani Suthep Thaugsuban criticized Deputy Minister Police Captain Chalerm Yoobamrung after he insisted that he would nominate a new national police chief within the week.

Suthep said that removing the current national police chief, Police General Wichien Podposri, from his position is unacceptable.

He said it also threatens other government officers.

Suthep said that Wichien may be transferred to an inactive post.

In addition, he affirmed that the Pheu Thai Party would not nominate deputy police chief Police General Priewpan Damapong, brother of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's ex-wife Pojaman Na Pombejra, the next national police chief immediately because the next chief must be endorsed by the Police Commission first.

Suthep added that if Chalerm transfers Wichien within seven days as he said, he will be condemned for wrongfully exercising his power.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-31

footer_n.gif

The current government are going to put their own people in charge of the police and, albeit at a later date, the military. This is what the Dems did and will do again if they win another election. It is part of the cycle of Thai politics.

Thailand has gone completely nuts.......Chalerm should be facing charges for his obstruction of justice regarding his cop killing son.....

So looks like Thaksin is slowly tightening his grip on the balls of Thailand. I suppose it is just a matter of time until the government hires an English speaking Thai to review anti Thaksin posts on TV, then blacklist those members....

O so many cinics

it's spelled 'cynic' and yes I'm one also. It can also be called 'being realistic'. If a man builds his house on tall sturdy stilts, is he a cynic for worrying about and preparing for the next big flood?

Actually, look at this plausible scenario: Chalerm appoints one of his sons to be police chief. Someone offends the son (maybe that person places a hand over the son's head, or walks over the son's legs while the son is sitting on the floor). The son shoots the man dead at point blank range. Look at the positive side: A rude person will be rude no more (he'll be dead), and the son will surely be sheltered and defended by his father for being so dynamic in dealing with a rude person.

If there are illegal activities which require attention, if the police chief has not addressed these areas......

Either he is not functioning well in his role......

Or the previous government did not instruct him to address the issues.....

Right - nor has he stopped drug dealing, sorted Bangkok's traffic, or police corruption. Replace him with the BIL!

Now, how long should we give him to fix all these problems. The incumbent has 3 days to close all gambling dens, so a month should be sufficient don't you think? Remember these are high priority PTP and Thaksin policies.

Why do you even bother replying to trolls. I've yet to see 473geo make a valid point on any thread.

Good to know a man like Chalerm is Deputy PM and in charge of police. In that case, if I shoot and kill a policeman, I'll have Mr. Chalerm to rely on to shelter me and screen me from getting in to any trouble. Oops, sorry, I just remembered I'm not one of his sons, so disregard the previous sentence.

Thailand has gone completely nuts.......Chalerm should be facing charges for his obstruction of justice regarding his cop killing son.....

So looks like Thaksin is slowly tightening his grip on the balls of Thailand. I suppose it is just a matter of time until the government hires an English speaking Thai to review anti Thaksin posts on TV, then blacklist those members....

If it gets that bad, they won't need to blacklist me.

oh look what is happening...

All the Pro Yingluck supporters that have made a come back to the forums have suddenly all gone quiet...

They switch sides like the wind...

I suspect that they have simply given up, bored with the anti Yingluk/Thaksin/PTP/Red Shirt/etc hatefest which this forum has become.

Exactly. All the usual suspects have nothing of note to contribute other than criticisms, name calling and predictions of doom and gloom for Thailand.

With the history of several of the MP's, and deputy PM, then throw in a new PM spokeswoman, the press and the public should be as much confused as are the government officials who keep spouting off, in public. The cartoonist could have a field day with the goings on to date, just think what the future is apt to bring.

oh look what is happening...

All the Pro Yingluck supporters that have made a come back to the forums have suddenly all gone quiet...

They switch sides like the wind...

I suspect that they have simply given up, bored with the anti Yingluk/Thaksin/PTP/Red Shirt/etc hatefest which this forum has become.

Exactly. All the usual suspects have nothing of note to contribute other than criticisms, name calling and predictions of doom and gloom for Thailand.

Agreed. But the current events do tend to lend themselves to a lot of critisim. The current government isn't doing much to really help Thailand. Just themselves.:(

Do you instead predict peace and prosperity in Thailand whilst it is ruled by the Shinawatra dynasty? Do you see Chalerm as an honorable person?

Do you instead predict peace and prosperity in Thailand whilst it is ruled by the Shinawatra dynasty? Do you see Chalerm as an honorable person?

I predict that life will just go on as normal for the millions of normal Thai people, whether in Bangkok or in the rural NE. Global economic problems, high trade deficits, austerity drives, high inflation, high unemployment, these are things that are affecting the western worlds a lot more. A lot of armchair keyboard warriors on this forum should give their invaluable advise to their respective governments instead.

He doesn't even know who Chalerm is. Don't waste your breath.

OMG, appointing Chalerm to rid Bkk of the gambling dens is almost like appointing Chuwit to rid prostitution from the massage business..... :cheesy:

Its amazing that of all the problems reported on Thaivisa the police are directed to deal with not one of them. since when has gambling been reported to have caused ill treatment, injury, fraud....

Well done powers that be the police are going against a faceless crime the success of which cannot be measured.

<snip>

A lot of armchair keyboard warriors on this forum should give their invaluable advise to their respective governments instead.

Not sure my advise is invaluable, but I for sure communicate my thoughts to my home country's government. Politicians. Bad no matter where you go!

• 4 weeks later...