Seeking Advice On Tfel Tesol

BigRick

I have lived in Thailand for a year taking a vacation. I have decided instead of wasting that second year of vacation why not take a teaching course that could augment my savings. Yes I understand the pitfalls and annoyances of teaching in Thailand I know many people that do it most on tourist visas some not. I am a fluent native English speaker with a very broad vocabulary but no four year degree. I was in the Tech industry and the stuff people were learning in school was medieval compared to what we were learning working in the field. This meant my education focused more on Technical certificates A+ CCNA. So that being said I need some input on what would be a decent starting certificate that is cost effective and useful outside of Thailand. I was not knowledgeable enough for the CELTA so that one is out. A 4 week course is OK I have the time. I don't like the idea of fly by night schools I need a place that teaches me practical skills that can be applied to the art of teaching. I need one that gives me some ground to stand on other than my ability to clearly enunciate a word. It would help if it is near Samsenni Phrya Thai. Thank you in advance.

This also might be in the wrong forum but I am sure the Moderators with rectify the situation.

Kk Thanks I was tempted to place it there but it did not look like the board was very active.

It might not be as active, but quite a few members follow this forum who know this area very well. They probably don't follow the general forum though. This is true of many of the sub forums...not as active, but you get better replies than having it in general.

If you don't get the responses you desire, PM me and we can try moving it back...but I think you will do OK here! :jap:

I am currently doing a TEFL qualification which will enable me to teach English over in Bangkok. However the difference between you and I is that I am doing my TEFL qualification in London, UK and I will be moving to Bangkok in November. <br><br>Now by rights, you're supposed to have a degree if you are to teach English in Thailand, however I know plenty of people without degrees who have full-time jobs and are doing just fine. It's all about getting your foot in the door and then the rest is just down to experience.<br><br>Here are some things you need: <br><ul><li>Internationally recognised TEFL/ESL/TESOL qualification.</li><li>Police check.</li><li>References from your past employments.</li><li>Anything else which would demonstrate your abilities... Certificates for any qualifications in the past.</li></ul>The more you can big yourself up the better. :)<br><br>Here are some useful links:<br><br><a href="http://www.teflcoursereview.com/">TEFL Course Review</a> - Gives different reviews of TEFL courses which are all over the world. You can select Thailand on the right and it will give you the courses which are based in Thailand. There are quite a few in Bangkok. This was how I chose my course I am currently doing. <br><br><a href="http://ajarn.com/">Ajarn</a> - Pretty handy site with some job contacts and lots of information and advice with regards to teaching in Thailand. Make sure you register/join it to see all the content.<br><br>I hope this helps anyways. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions<br>

I am currently doing a TEFL qualification which will enable me to teach English over in Bangkok. However the difference between you and I is that I am doing my TEFL qualification in London, UK and I will be moving to Bangkok in November. <br><br>Now by rights, you're supposed to have a degree if you are to teach English in Thailand, however I know plenty of people without degrees who have full-time jobs and are doing just fine. It's all about getting your foot in the door and then the rest is just down to experience.<br><br>Here are some things you need: <br><ul><li>Internationally recognised TEFL/ESL/TESOL qualification.</li><li>Police check.</li><li>References from your past employments.</li><li>Anything else which would demonstrate your abilities... Certificates for any qualifications in the past.</li></ul>The more you can big yourself up the better. :)<br><br>Here are some useful links:<br><br><a href="http://www.teflcoursereview.com/">TEFL Course Review</a> - Gives different reviews of TEFL courses which are all over the world. You can select Thailand on the right and it will give you the courses which are based in Thailand. There are quite a few in Bangkok. This was how I chose my course I am currently doing. <br><br><a href="http://ajarn.com/">Ajarn</a> - Pretty handy site with some job contacts and lots of information and advice with regards to teaching in Thailand. Make sure you register/join it to see all the content.<br><br>I hope this helps anyways. Feel free to message me if you have any more questions<br>

Is it just me or did none of that rich-text editor work? :(

Is it just me or did none of that rich-text editor work? :(

It wasn't just you. TEFL reviews is a great website though. Here's the link for Thailand courses without the html:

http://www.teflcoursereview.com/courses/location/thailand/

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking found a couple reasonable ones in Bkk 965US nothing worth the price in Pattaya 1750+US But it includes a welcome buffet! They told me to take the course in Phuket of Samui No thanks island living is a lot higher than Bkk or Pattaya.

Some people do especially if you have a four year degree are in a great position to secure work legally. There has been a fair amount of rule tightening lately. I am trying to find a TESOL/Education visa type of arrangement but a lot of the schools I have found seem pretty dodgy loads of We are the best in Thailand and know XYZ then you dig and you find our from first hand accounts its far from the truth. I had one guy go berserk on me because I pointed out a few negative reviews and shot comings that needed to be addressed before I would consider it. He referred to these people as"They stupid child molesters and reatards who can only find job at Mc Donald's (Exact grammar from a director of a school) So I am still looking :(. And ECC Bangkok got burned down last year.

Edited by BigRick