UK settlement; Minimum income?

So I've been searching and searching and searching but I cant find anywhere an actual figure for this! In a few years I may want to have my Thai GF move to England with me when my work contract ends. I've looked on various sites (including UK immigration and UK border control) and I've read that I need to prove that I can afford to support my GF in England by providing bank statements as she will not be allowed to work. so what is the actual amount of hard cash I will need to prove I have in order for my GF to be allowed a visa? As I understand it I will have to pay for everything myself without resorting to public funds (Fair enough!! She's not put into public funds so why should she be allowed to draw from it) but I can't find find anywhere an actual amount I need in my bank as a minimum to forfill these requirements. I'm very dyslexic so understanding the legal gumpf on these websites is quite difficult for me. Can someone explain to me in plain English along with actual figures and amounts what requirements I need? Many thanks for any help anyone can provide!!

There is, at present, no actual figure; just 'enough.'

How much that is depends on a couples circumstances and, to some extent, where they live.

However, as a guide your minimum available income should be the income support level for a family of your size.

For a childless couple where both are over 18 that is, currently, £105.95 per week.

However, as said, this is a guide; your wife may still get her visa if your joint income is below this figure; for example if you are living with a family member who is supporting you.

Remember that income support levels will change and the government may decide to introduce a minimum income level for spouse/partner settlement. You should check everything when the time comes to apply and not rely on information which may be out of date by then.

I've amended your topic title from "Just Plain English, Please!" to something which better reflects the information you are seeking.

How much that is depends on a couples circumstances and, to some extent, where they live.

However, as a guide your minimum available income should be the income support level for a family of your size.

For a childless couple where both are over 18 that is, currently, £105.95 per week.

However, as said, this is a guide; your wife may still get her visa if your joint income is below this figure; for example if you are living with a family member who is supporting you.

Remember that income support levels will change and the government may decide to introduce a minimum income level for spouse/partner settlement. You should check everything when the time comes to apply and not rely on information which may be out of date by then.

I've amended your topic title from "Just Plain English, Please!" to something which better reflects the information you are seeking.

thanks for thew info! im a bit worried as im 29 and she is 30 so when it comes to do the big move if it doesn't work she wont have much time (body clock wise) to start a new family. i'm really trying to think what is best for her! she wants kids but im not ready for them yet. ive got a lot of plans to start a business when i get back to england so im trying to save money up whilst in thailand to fund it. im sure this will affect our application in a negitive way as i wont have a garunteed job when i move back to england i'll be setting up from scratch. so really im trying to figure out would it be best to break things off with her now so she still has time to have a family that she wants so bad! im just worried that if she stays with me i cant give her what she wants! also very worried about how she will settle in england! :(

thanks for thew info! im a bit worried as im 29 and she is 30 so when it comes to do the big move if it doesn't work she wont have much time (body clock wise) to start a new family. i'm really trying to think what is best for her! she wants kids but im not ready for them yet. ive got a lot of plans to start a business when i get back to england so im trying to save money up whilst in thailand to fund it. im sure this will affect our application in a negitive way as i wont have a garunteed job when i move back to england i'll be setting up from scratch. so really im trying to figure out would it be best to break things off with her now so she still has time to have a family that she wants so bad! im just worried that if she stays with me i cant give her what she wants! also very worried about how she will settle in england! :(

I wonder how committed you are to your GF?

You won't have a job, you're worried she wants a baby, which you're not ready for yet! So you're thinking of finishing with her so she might find someone who will be ready for a baby. Wow you are such a caring loving guy, she's lucky to have you!

You are saving money here in Thailand to start a business in the UK, earning comparable wage to the UK are we? So any money you do have will go into the business.

So Why are you trying to bring her to the UK? Sorry but none of this adds up.

Either your on something or a troll?????????????

It sounds to me that you are much too immature to deal with moving your GF to the UK (as your wife) and your commitment to her is in serious doubt,

do you think that everyone who applied for their Wives, for a Settlement Visa,didn't have similar hurdles to jump, and a host of problems? and that they all had it easy?and didn't have the same problems to think about as you have?

Nobody said it is easy to get your GF into the UK (In fact it's getting more difficult year by year) but most applicants are dedicated to have their loved one with them,and wouldn't dream of giving up before they have started.

I'm sure your GF does not want just anyones Baby,and as you obviously do not understand it's a Fantastic Priviledge Bestowed on you,that she wants your Baby, then i'm sorry to say,IMHO,

You don't really love her that much,to even think that far ahead!

Edited by MAJIC

Some posts have been deleted.

she wants kids but im not ready for them yet.

A year ago, in Visa for pregnant girlfriend, you said

I've recently found out my Thai GF is pregnant! YAY!! We've had the Thai marrige but I'm looking into getting married properly in England and have the baby born in England as well!

Please be consistent.

If you genuinely want advise on obtaining a UK visa for your wife/girlfriend/whatever; ask. But don't play games.

Also, as I said to you in that other topic, be prepared for people to post answers you don't like and question what you say; that's what happens in a forum.

Some posts have been deleted.

she wants kids but im not ready for them yet.

A year ago, in Visa for pregnant girlfriend, you said

I've recently found out my Thai GF is pregnant! YAY!! We've had the Thai marrige but I'm looking into getting married properly in England and have the baby born in England as well!

Please be consistent.

If you genuinely want advise on obtaining a UK visa for your wife/girlfriend/whatever; ask. But don't play games.

Also, as I said to you in that other topic, be prepared for people to post answers you don't like and question what you say; that's what happens in a forum.

things change!!!