Thailand Voted Fourth Best World Destination

webfact

I see that India has figured strongly in these annual polls, too.

That must give some idea of the value of such a survey - two of the most corrupt, dirty, chauvinistic, racist countries in the world are great places to visit!

I think a lot of money must change hands here.

Or Americans are extremely gullible.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is top of the list when it comes to 'Most Dangerous Tourism Destination' for Britons.

Yeah but did you see what the number one cause of death is? Riding motorcycles. While pissed biggrin.gif

The problem is you Brits drive on the wrong side of the road and keep hitting oncoming traffic!

Remember that the left side is the right side and the right side is the wrong side and you won't go wrong.

The people who post on this forum are most likely living in Thailand, so we can see the "cracks" in the "Land of Smiles" - angry, crooked tuk tuk drivers in Phuket; the dishonest touts waiting for their prey at the Grand Palace or Wat Pho in Bangkok; the dirty beach promenade along Beach Rd. in Pattaya, or the tourist elephant "camps" in Chaing Mai... but for a tourist who is picked up at the airport and is dropped off at their 4-5 star hotel and enjoys the short time they are vacationing in Thailand would most likely find it exotic and not encounter the negative aspects of the place (which any country has). All I know is when I leave Thailand and visit another country (including my own -USA) I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to be back in LOS - the "cracks" seem to be forgiven.

I'm so pleased you agree with my post, earlier, near the same wording changed a little--2 minds think alive,

Three minds think alike.

Currently in North America US and Canada. Arrived on Aug.3 leave on Sept.21 can hardly wait to get home.

I see that India has figured strongly in these annual polls, too.

That must give some idea of the value of such a survey - two of the most corrupt, dirty, chauvinistic, racist countries in the world are great places to visit!

I think a lot of money must change hands here.

Or Americans are extremely gullible.

Americans are extremely gullible. Look at what they have done for their country and the world since 2008. I'm glad to be living in Thailand. I just wish the government here in Thailand would do what they say and not what they think everybody wants. Like more money in the officials Swiss bank accounts. Corruption was bad in the 80's and 90's, but now it is over the top.

"Renowned, Prestigious,Condo Nast Magazine"

Never heard of it! is this a Thai Travel Magazine?

Clearly its an incorrect font character and a Thai one was inserted so I have now corrected it.

Bit nitpicky and petty to pick on a thai font that gets inserted, but thats just my opinion.

Ok admin. And the excuse for a news flash dated 2008? Nitpicky too?

Yeah Admin, what about the 3 year old news posted today?

Who makes this crap up

I have no idea, for 2008 in may be right that the destination Thailand ranked fourth, in 2010 Thailand ranked 19th, see here:

1. Turkey 94.81*

2. Egypt 94.22

3. Australia 93.25

4. Italy 92.36

5. New Zealand 91.37

6. Spain 90.39

7. India 89.65

8. USA 88.94

9. South Africa 88.58

10. France 87.00

11. Mexico 86.29

12. Canada 84.90

13. Brazil 84.20

14. Chile 83.53

15. Sri Lanka 82.51

16. China 81.33

17. Greece 80.70

18. Portugal 79.87

19. Thailand 78.92

20. Morocco 77.49

Source: http://www.cntraveller.com/magazine/readers-travel-awards-2010

Thailand is top of the list when it comes to 'Most Dangerous Tourism Destination' for Britons.

That's cos they get drunk, crash motorbikes, go swimming at night, wake up in an empty bed sure that they came back with some blrd or a chick with a dick and then can't find their iPad nor wallet, insult the locals, decide to take the short cut down a rocky road in the pitch dark, take tuk tuks and jet skis without first negotiating a price.......the list goes on! It's actually very safe here

I have no idea, for 2008 in may be right that the destination Thailand ranked fourth, in 2010 Thailand ranked 19th, see here:

1. Turkey 94.81*

Looks like the Turks got together the hijack the vote the same way they did for Attaturk in the Time magazine man of the century vote.

That's cos they get drunk, crash motorbikes, go swimming at night, wake up in an empty bed sure that they came back with some blrd or a chick with a dick and then can't find their iPad nor wallet, insult the locals, decide to take the short cut down a rocky road in the pitch dark, take tuk tuks and jet skis without first negotiating a price.......the list goes on! It's actually very safe here

So all those of different nationalities spend all their time walking round wats and heaps of bricks dressed up as sites of historical interest? Or climb in and out of buses at malls and the other tourist traps?

That you think that the majority of Brits behave so badly is a sure indication of where you spend most of your time - and money.

Well, you must know the Britons well. But why the hell, some of them leave their island in the first place??? The Queen in her palace, the monkeys still on the rock of Gibraltar, and the best kidney pie at home. Why do they leave????

So all those of different nationalities spend all their time walking round wats and heaps of bricks dressed up as sites of historical interest? Or climb in and out of buses at malls and the other tourist traps?

That you think that the majority of Brits behave so badly is a sure indication of where you spend most of your time - and money.

I'm British and I'm taking the piss and I live in a small village in the southern Thai countryside. I spend my money on my family and 2 mortgages, what do you spend yours on Mr or Mrs who 'supposes' to know me?

Edited by Jirapa

Yeah but did you see what the number one cause of death is? Riding motorcycles. While pissed biggrin.gif

The problem is you Brits drive on the wrong side of the road and keep hitting oncoming traffic!

There are good historical reasons for driving on the left hand side of the road. I can well understand why peoples in all those countries that used to be coloured pink in atlases years ago drive on the correct side of the road, but why Japan?

There are good historical reasons for driving on the left hand side of the road. I can well understand why peoples in all those countries that used to be coloured pink in atlases years ago drive on the correct side of the road, but why Japan?

Left hand side of the road in the UK like Thailand and 30% of the world.

I still love being in Thailand. My only complaint is with all the foreign malcontents who have nothing better to do but moan about the place on the Internet every day. :whistling:

Yes, and I suspect many of them aren't even in the country but are just jumping on the 'slag off Thailand' bandwagon..

Why not Japan?

Loads of countries historically drove on the left then switched for whatever reason. Some European countries historically did, but later changed, but their former colonies still do..

"The awards were announced on September 1, 2008."

I see The Nation is on the ball again :whistling:

guess they dont think we are able to use the net , is only possible for thais in Thailand , Falang not know ,

http://jimmythejock....ations-For-2011

http://en.wikipedia....ourism_rankings

http://www.101holida...y-destinations/

http://www.lonelypla...-articles/76216

Not really into the awards and the so called top 10 , but I really dislike someone or something claiming to be better than they really are , Can only assume that they really need to give themselves a pat on the back as no one else is willing to do it for them . Love the smiles and the ladies but they really need to see themselves in a mirror that isnt distorted .

From the wikipaedea article about the magazine.

Condé Nast Traveler is produced at Condé Nast's U.S. headquarters at 4 Times Square, New York, NY. The digital magazine resides at concierge.com, a part of Condé Nast Digital. Concierge.com does not adhere to the "Truth in Travel" policy, which forbids contributors from accepting complimentary accommodations, meals, or transportation. The magazine also has a Web presence at truth.travel, which was conceived, developed, and edited by Peter Kaplan during his second tenure at the magazine (2009-2010).

And then one has to keep in mind that these in-magazine surveys derive from readership/subscribers only.

Like any such poll or survey....they need to be taken with a grain of salt.

They are not taken with a grain of salt by the advertisers and media reps that go to the bank on the results. Does the term payola ring a bell?

Why not Japan?

Loads of countries historically drove on the left then switched for whatever reason. Some European countries historically did, but later changed, but their former colonies still do..

While many countries have changed from left to right, only 3 countries have ever changed from right to left, one of those being Samoa in 2009 to import cheap cars from Japan, NZ, AUS. Only 25% of the world drives on the left today.

And that is because they behave badly. Didn't you watch the television series. They got everything coming to them. Just as they do in Benidorm another place you'll find BBB, 'Briton's Behaving Badly'. Drunken louts at international football matches is just one fine example.

The murder rate for Brits in Thailand is five times higher than the UK too.

Please substantiate this with a link where this can be confirmed.....otherwise it may be taken as drivel

And why not! The left that is. An island nation with two choices. It could have gone either way.

There is one country however that made a third choice....any side and every side all at the same time...Cambodia....

From the wikipaedea article about the magazine.

Condé Nast Traveler is produced at Condé Nast's U.S. headquarters at 4 Times Square, New York, NY. The digital magazine resides at concierge.com, a part of Condé Nast Digital. Concierge.com does not adhere to the "Truth in Travel" policy, which forbids contributors from accepting complimentary accommodations, meals, or transportation. The magazine also has a Web presence at truth.travel, which was conceived, developed, and edited by Peter Kaplan during his second tenure at the magazine (2009-2010).

Many similar travel publications are a joke. They send "reporters" off to various five star resorts where they are given comp suites, meals, tours, etc. They are often wined and dined by the general manager or other hotel staff. And in return they write glowing reports on the hotel/destination because they know full well that if they dare point out a negative that is the end of their little gravy train. Typically they rave about the lovely resort where rooms start at a "very modest $500 per night". Yeah very modest unless you have to actually pay for it out of your own pocket. And of course "the service is spectacular"..yeah especially if you are dining with the General Manager.

I have long thought that every travel review should state at the top of the article any complimentary or special treatment that was provided to the reviewer but of course that is not likely to happen. There is a reason that most restaurant reviews require their reviewers to be anonymous and to pay for their meals. Unfortunately this level of honesty has not yet reached many of the travel reviews.