Northern Runoff To Reach Bangkok Early Next Week, Flood Death Toll 87

webfact

Northern runoff to reach capital early next week, flood death toll 87

By The Nation

30165321-01.jpg

Run-off from the North is approaching the lower Chao Phraya basin and is now expected to hit Bangkok early next week.

The situation will be particularly worrying between this coming Saturday and September 30, according to the House ad-hoc committee on tackling the flooding and managing water resources.

"Run-off water will linger in Bangkok over the period, which is also the time of the high tide," the panel said.

Sanya Cheenimit, who heads the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Drainage and Sewerage Department, yesterday said his agency was closely monitoring the situation.

"We are depleting water [levels] in canals and all 21 water-retention areas in Bangkok," he said, adding that officials are now on duty at water-pumping stations around the clock.

Speaking in his capacity as the deputy chief of the centre directing the response to storms, floods and landslides, Interior Ministry deputy permanent secretary Chonchuen Boonyanusas warned people along the Chao Phraya River in Nakhon Sawan, Chai Nat, Sing Buri, Angthong, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi and Bangkok to move their belongings to higher ground.

"They must increase the height of the river's embankments, too," he said.

Bangkok's neighbouring provinces are, however, already under water. In Sing Buri, 73-year-old Thongkham Boonnithi drowned yesterday while trying to wade through flood water to get back to her home in Phrom Buri district.

Thai Red Cross Society secretary-general Pan Wannamethee yesterday represented Her Majesty the Queen in handing out 1,000 sets of relief items and a boat to flood-hit people in Sing Buri, and another vessel to In Buri Hospital.

Nonthaburi Governor Wichian Puttiwinyu, meanwhile, has now declared six districts under his jurisdiction as disaster-hit zones.

The province's famous Koh Kret attraction has been severely flooded. Shops and restaurants there had to close down as owners rushed to move their belongings to higher ground amid flood water that was about 1-metre-deep.

"Students and locals who have to travel need to pack new clothes to change into after wading through the flooded area," said 60-year-old Sudjit Jarernkul, who runs a pottery factory in Koh Kret.

In Pathum Thani, teachers at Wat Pho Luen School had to conduct classes from a temple hall and the house of one of their colleagues.

Up to 53 students huddled together at the house of Riam Pinworasan, the academic head of Wat Pho Luen School.

"Exams are about to start, so we have decided not to cancel classes. As well, we are concerned that if students are allowed to stay home, they may go out to play in the flood water and expose themselves to danger," Riam said. "Most parents will still go out to work, so we think it's better to keep children under teachers' supervision."

In a community behind Bang Luang Temple in Pathum Thani's Muang district, flood water was well over 1-metre deep, effectively marooning 200 families.

Deputy Public Health Minister Torpong Chaiyasarn yesterday said the flooding had already left 586 people with a serious level of stress, 1,465 with depression and 213 others at risk of suicide.

Flooding has upset the lives of about 700,000 people across 23 provinces.

As of press time, the flood-related death toll had reached 87.

In Chon Buri, crocodiles escaped from their enclosure at the Million Years Stone Park & Pattaya Crocodile Farm after part of a wall collapsed on Sunday night in the wake of eroding flood water and a storm.

"After four nights and four days, we have managed to recapture 29 crocodiles, but some are still missing," said park chief Suan Panomwattanakul.

He said anyone providing useful information on the animals' whereabouts would be given Bt5,000.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-15

As long as they can continue to keep Bangkok relatively dry by flooding the provinces immediately to the north, nothing serious will ever be done about this problem. A permanent solution would be far too costly and public funds are much more useful being invested in large Bangkok mansions for politicians and senior civil servants. By the time they realise this band aid solution is no longer viable, it will be too late and the mansions will all be washed away like Ozymandias' statue.

GET WITH IT GUYS THIS ON THE BKP WEBSITE, WARNING ABOUT TODAY NOT NEXT WEEK.

Amazing Thailand.

Yesterday, no fear of flooding in Bangkok.

Today, be prepared for flooding in Bangkok.

Don't know if government officials read this forum (guess not), but my advise: Talk to the Dutch.

They are the masters in water management. ( previously posted by someone on BKPost)

Edited by Crossy
Link to Bangkok Post removed, sorry.

Not a good weekend to visit Koh Gret, I would imagine...

Indeed, a submarine would be a good choice.

Meanwhile, a few k north in Ban Pathum wifey is waiting to see if the ground floor of our new construction is high enough, we've got about 1/2 a metre of freeboard right now.

As long as they can continue to keep Bangkok relatively dry by flooding the provinces immediately to the north, nothing serious will ever be done about this problem. A permanent solution would be far too costly and public funds are much more useful being invested in large Bangkok mansions for politicians and senior civil servants. By the time they realise this band aid solution is no longer viable, it will be too late and the mansions will all be washed away like Ozymandias' statue.

You are perfectly correct. The 5 main rivers that feed the Chao Phraya are at capacity or worse, they have broken their banks.

I'm in Hua Dong area of Phichit prov and the Nan river is overflowing into our front yard.

Millions of rai of farmland are being flooded in the lower north and central region so that Bangkok's traffic is not inundated and people don't have to get their feet wet in that nasty, dirty water.

Suvarnabhumi airport covered one of the great watersheds and a great system of klongs was built around Bangkok.

Anyway the wise men at Bangkok Water Dept. say "No flooding" so nothing to worry about.

Hey! let's reclaim the coast of Samut Prakhan and build a marine metropolis. Good idea?

Break out the rubber boots cos'here it comes.

My condo is on the Chao Praya river, the gang plank to the floating landing stage for our boat has been an uphill walk for the past week, it normally settles at level when the tide is in but as I say it has not been below or even at level for a week now.

Not a good weekend to visit Koh Gret, I would imagine...

Indeed, a submarine would be a good choice.

Meanwhile, a few k north in Ban Pathum wifey is waiting to see if the ground floor of our new construction is high enough, we've got about 1/2 a metre of freeboard right now.

Need a Sub? Military got 10 with no use for them maybe they can rent out a few.

You are perfectly correct. The 5 main rivers that feed the Chao Phraya are at capacity or worse, they have broken their banks.

I'm in Hua Dong area of Phichit prov and the Nan river is overflowing into our front yard.

Millions of rai of farmland are being flooded in the lower north and central region so that Bangkok's traffic is not inundated and people don't have to get their feet wet in that nasty, dirty water.

Suvarnabhumi airport covered one of the great watersheds and a great system of klongs was built around Bangkok.

Anyway the wise men at Bangkok Water Dept. say "No flooding" so nothing to worry about.

Hey! let's reclaim the coast of Samut Prakhan and build a marine metropolis. Good idea?

Break out the rubber boots cos'here it comes.

I was driving around the suburbs around SVB yesterday. There are plenty of roads partially underwater, and the klongs are absolutely full to bursting. I cannot believe it is going to be possible for Bangkok not get hit, and very badly. I haven't seen this amount of rain in Isaan since I have been here, and basically everywhere is full up, there is no space left to flood before it hits Bangkok proper.

Don't know if government officials read this forum (guess not), but my advise: Talk to the Dutch.

They are the masters in water management. ( previously posted by someone on BKPost)

The Dutch, with 60% of their country below sea- and river water level ( some even - 6 mtr) , started to build dikes a 1000 ( yes: thousand) years ago, as people as well as leaders did not weant their land and houses being flooded every year.

Some rives dikes are 18 meters high, sea dikes even a lot more. Total dike length : over 10,000 km

Thai government leaders think only till next election, same as all Thais selling their votes to those cr..cks.

So, I feel ZERO pity with the Thais.

Edited by puipuitom

Thai government leaders think only till next election, same as all Thais selling their votes to those cr..cks.

you are right about thai politicians (and all politicians in every single country around the world), but it's more complicated about thai voters.

not sure, why don't you have any very human feeling of compassion left, something very sad to hear

The Dutch, with 60% of their country below sea- and river water level ( some even - 6 mtr) , started to build dikes a 1000 ( yes: thousand) years ago, as people as well as leaders did not weant their land and houses being flooded every year.

Some rives dikes are 18 meters high, sea dikes even a lot more. Total dike length : over 10,000 km

It would bee interesting to see this amount of rain in Europe, i think it would be a disaster, and the Dutch would have a major problem.