Trip Report To King Power Duty Free Pattaya

playwithmac1

Just visited King Power Duty Free in Pattaya, since I am going out of Thailand within 2 weeks. Also needed few things and since it was Grand Opening, hoping to find some Grand Opening promotions.

Boy I was wrong, I went to buy IWC watch and also Biotherm cosmetic for men, I usually do my duty free shopping in Seoul Airport.

Biotherm DUO pack which I normally paid 70 USD about 2100 Baht in Seoul Airport, King duty free sells at 3740 Baht.

And IWC watch that I've been thinking about buying is also 650 USD more expensive than Seoul Airport.

Another surprise was the clerk encouraged me to sign up with King Duty free member card to get 10% extra discount, so I did and later I found out there was a 500 Baht membership fee. Yes they gave me 500 cash voucher as a gift after I signed a membership, but still I feel like it was rip off to charge 500 Baht for duty free membership.

It was nice place, cool AC, very clean cut well dressed sales people and no annoying "No Have" answers, but with vastly high prices for almost everything, I will take my duty free shopping somewhere else for sure.

And also it's not easy to get there, you need a car or motorbike, otherwise you will need to hail a cab.

So watch out! if you want to go to King duty free to take a look, please don't expect much! you will be disappointed big time!

surely this place is called duty free in name only?

as its in the centre of pattaya rather than in an area thats designated as being between countries for passengers in transit and hence duty (tax) free of the host country?

so is it not highly unlikely that you will get any tax reductions similar to those found in duty free shopping areas found at airports/ports/border crossings etc?

I go to Korea two times a year for biz, and they have big duty free store right in heart of seoul shopping district, and their downtown duty free store as well as the one in the airport prices are the same.

I don't think King power in Pattaya is more expensive than the one in BKK airport, it is just overpriced everywhere, that is all. I think.

as its in the centre of pattaya rather than in an area thats designated as being between countries for passengers in transit and hence duty (tax) free of the host country?

so is it not highly unlikely that you will get any tax reductions similar to those found in duty free shopping areas found at airports/ports/border crossings etc?

I go to Korea two times a year for biz, and they have big duty free store right in heart of seoul shopping district, and their downtown duty free store as well as the one in the airport prices are the same.

I don't think King power in Pattaya is more expensive than the one in BKK airport, it is just overpriced everywhere, that is all. I think.

do they sell alcohol and cigarettes?

if it truly was duty free that would be a good yardstick and if were true it will soon be the busiest shop in Chonburi............

if it truly was duty free that would be a good yardstick and if were true it will soon be the busiest shop in Chonburi............

But you are only allowed to collect the goods at the airport on departure.

Why is it that there always people who fall for the "duty free" store scams found at airports and increasingly at city center locations as well? I mean, due to bilateral and multilateral trade agreements (as well as WTO rules), import duties on most everyday consumer goods are zero, or close to it, in most countries. The only real exceptions being imported alcohol and cigarettes/cigars (I assume the treaties have reservations for these "dangerous" goods so that tariffs can be set at high rates to discourage consumption.) Therefore, there is no reason to purchase ordinary consumer goods at such shops as opposed to department and other stores selling the same goods without the "duty free" appellation.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Same in Thailand too.

Duty goods you can only collect at airport on depature.

But you are only allowed to collect the goods at the airport on departure.

So where is King Power Pattaya located?

On Sukhumvit between Central and South just past Mc Donalds. Huge new building set back little but from the road.

I thought that was a new Amway?

Thats just down the road ,try their coffee its quite good and reasonably priced ,unlike all the other stuff.

On Sukhumvit between Central and South just past Mc Donalds. Huge new building set back little but from the road.

Yep...the new Amway is just up from King Power...also some new Italian food wholesaler and some other new shops. That strip of Sukhumvit may become something of a new shopping destination.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Yep...the new Amway is just up from King Power...also some new Italian food wholesaler and some other new shops. That strip of Sukhumvit may become something of a new shopping destination.

a new shopping hub...............

• 3 months later...

good I have checked the forum , I was planned to buy something for my wife there;

She have seen a handbag there in Bangkok KP from brand OILLILI (england)

The problem is ;I can only pick this up in the airport !! so I have cancelled the deal

Anybody can tell me where to find OILLILI handbag brand in Bangkok or Pattaya ?

On the internet we can buy but only there ?

I have checked all the big shopping mauils in Bangkok . CentralWorld, Terminal 21 ......

any suggestions please

peter

Over Priced Rip Off...

I have traveled through many airports and yet to find a duty free where the goods without the duty were cheaper than at shops outside the airport where duty was included.

+1

Just read a report in one of those travel magazines talking about the big rip off these places are. I can booze cheaper in town than at the airport...or for dam_n near the same price. Except when they had that 2 for 1 sale on Absolute!!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/BusinessTraveler/video?id=9099913