Good Place To Buy Leather Jacket And Pants In Chiang Mai?

alexpoker

As a new rider, Im really enjoying riding on my bike. But being the newbie that I am I'd like to start riding more aggressively. Taking bends faster etc, maybe learn to wheelie once im confident enough :P

Anyhow, I'd prefer to get some gear before being more daring on it. Right now all I have is a helmet and some halfass gloves. Id like to get a jacket and a pair of pants that'll save my skin, elbows and knees if I fall.

What gear do you guys recommend? Im certain Im gonna dive a few times so really need something reliable and preferably something I can get in Chiang Mai. Ordering online is ok too I guess.

What I did was I went near the chinatown area and bought A nice piece of leather.I was then going to samui,so I emailed A tailor shop there and he said he would make A pair of pants for 1000 baht.Many tailors don't have large amounts of leather on hand.Im sure you can google,and find some tailors in bangkok.then ask them if they do leather work

Try Fast Corner (it might be a bit pricey).

You could also try to scrounge around the "used" flea market near CMU, a Thai person would know where it is (no, it's not the Sunday Market at the gate). Of course if you're bigger than the average Thai it would be diffifcult ot find something that will fit you there.

If 'stu hasn't sold his red jacket yet, that's a good deal there (if it's in your size). I got leather gloves from him that are really good at a very good price.

Edited by RED21

As a suggestion, before you start the aggressive riding, take a slowish trip to Mae Sai, either via the 118 through Chiang Rai or the more circuitous route along the 107 taking in the oil fields of Fang. Either route is worth the trip. Across the border at the Burmese market is an excellent shop selling lots of bike gear. Some leathers, some perforated tops with armour, back protectors and knee/shin strap on armour. I was three or four months into riding and had a seriour off last year, everthing I was wearing I bought in this shop. I ended up bruised and had a broken hand but it could have been much much worse. I would buy two tops and double up on the armour for the back, elbows and shoulders. Also they have some decent boots, gloves and lids.

When you are feeling a bit more daring and want the proper stuff, have a look on the internet. There are a lot of good made to measure gear manufacturers out there, often for under $500 USD. That may or may not sound a lot, but it is your own skin and bones you are saving.

Incidently, what are your riding?

If you ride from Pantip Plaza towards the moat you will see Suriwong Book Centre on your left. Just a short distance from that you will see a shop on your right selling lots of helmets. If you go in there and ask they have a good selection of Jackets, Pants, Gloves etc etc.

As I live next to the guy who you bought the bike from I can assure you that sizing will not be a problem as I bought my gear from there so you will have no issues.

P.M. me if you need further help finding the place.

Cheers