Irish Spouse Visa. Help!

Hi Guys,

Looking for your help again and was hoping someone who has brought their thai wife to ireland can help me out.

My fiancée and I will be getting married in Thailand in late December 2011 and after this we obviously want to live together and settle in Ireland

After we get married we want to go back to the Consulate in BKK and hand in our application which will be completed by the marriage certs.

I'm a little confused as to what to apply for after looking on the inis website.

A.) Do we apply for a long term visa?

B.) is it possible for us to get multiple entry so we can return to thailand on holiday to visit her family?

C.) How long does it take to process the visa, we were hoping she could at least come here for April 2012

D.) do we apply for a long term visa then when she is here register with the garda immigration bureaux and then apply to immigration to remain in Ireland on a permanent basis????

What do we need to apply for (Join spouse of irish citizen) and what is actually required (evidence and documents)?

Here's some info about us so you can get a better picture:

1. we've been together since March 2009

2. I've been to Thailand 7 times since we first met including march 2009.

3. I'll be there for the 8th time in December 2011 so we can get married and then hopefully we can bring our application to the Consulate in BKK

4. My fiancée stayed here for 3 months from May - July 2011 after being granted a holiday visa, she returned to Thailand on time etc

5. I am in full time employment in my current job for 5 years

Your help and advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by robio7

Hi All,

Still looking for advise on above.

For anyone interested, I found someone here in Ireland who did this about 3 years ago

from what i've found out we need to apply for a Spouse of Irish Citizen Visa, then after we've gone to the INIS and got the GNIB card we can return to thailand for a holiday.

I'd still love to hear your advise and your experiences so I can get this processed successfully first time. + the person i was talking to didnt really remember everything they did.

Anything else I find out I'll post here in case others need advice in the future.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi All,

Still looking for advise on above.

For anyone interested, I found someone here in Ireland who did this about 3 years ago

from what i've found out we need to apply for a Spouse of Irish Citizen Visa, then after we've gone to the INIS and got the GNIB card we can return to thailand for a holiday.

I'd still love to hear your advise and your experiences so I can get this processed successfully first time. + the person i was talking to didnt really remember everything they did.

Anything else I find out I'll post here in case others need advice in the future.

Thanks,

Rob

I would give the consulate a call. I haven't used their visa service but my experience of them is that they are helpful. Here is their website with contact details. http://www.irelandinthailand.com/.

We process these you require a D-Visa once you arrive you report to the Garda who issue a longer term visa. We are currently awaiting two application back we submitted 4 weeks ago.

thank you, does it normally take longer than 4 weeks?

well i got refused 1st time 4 month waiting for that news ,so i went to a td plus got freinds who met her over the years to write or email the irish consult take many photos with thai and fralang copy of international call cards or phone bill if you need any more info i.m. me i like talking better than typing sorry ,but best of luck i back in ireland, now but if you in in thai can call only you 1c a minute on card good luck :jap: if you get a d4 visa long tem 1 year 1st then renew valid till passport finish can work but must go gib police to get visa multi entry and ppsi no, for in she want a job,:ph34r:

Edited by oggie911

This has come up before. I'm sure it will be of benefit to other Irish members if you were to provide the information publicly on the forum.

Totally agree and I'll post any info I find out same as I did with the Irish Holiday Visa I created (plus irish paddy's thread).

So Far what I have confirmed:

On the AVATAS we apply for D visa (Long Stay), Reason - Join Spuse of Irish Citizen.

I've also been told, dont worry about multiple entry option, after you register in GNIB she will get a new visa any way(1 year, some people manage to get longer but its up to the officer at GNIB??) and she can apply for re-entry visas in Dublin if we want to visit Thailand for a holiday.

If you cant prove your relationship is greater than 2 years then forget about it.

I've been with my gf longer than 2 years and have plenty of evidence like hotel bookings and flight tickets but we dont have joint residency (i.e I'm not on the rent lease for her apartment as i dont live there)etc. so I have to show our photos over the years, visa entry and exit stamps from when I visited her in Thailand.

Marriage cert is obviously a must have in the application.

If anyone reads this and they've been through this please post what you went through and what you did to get visa approved.

Thanks for your post Oggie911, any other info you have let me know. a check list for the documentation you and your wife provided would also help

Thanks,

Rob

phone bills irish n thai but i use international call cards western union slips if even only 100euro,tell them you use internet as saves money get her freinds to write they met you plus your freinds proff .own house she or you or sponser they give her 1 year on arrivale then re apply see what you get.ps whos paddy i dont know him i am irish

:ph34r:

Edited by oggie911

• 4 months later...

Hello to the Forum.

I am just gonna jump right in with this and hope someone can help.

Sorry if this is a bit of a thread hijack but the OP has similar questions.

I am in a similar situation and am getting conflicting stories from many different sources :(

I have been seeing my TGF for almost a year and want to bring her to Ireland permanently.

I was looking into the following

Visitor Visa

Study Visa

Work Visa

She has never been to Ireland so I assumed firstly she would have to get a visitor visa for a few months then go down the Fiancee visa route.

She has the offer of a full time job with my company but as I didn't think a work permit was an option for a first visit I have yet to ask if the company would supply one (chances are they would)

While I do want to marry her and we have discussed this we are both slow to rush into it as I have only come out of a bad divorce a few years ago. I do not want to rush into a marriage without knowing the full implications as to share of assets and possessions should we split up.

I also read somewhere that her rights to land etc are revoked once she marries a non national (is this true?)

As we intend to move back to Thailand in 5-8 years I also need to know the situation with me owning land/property and how this would be divided up should we split or is it impossible for me to own either and then should I get some sort of pre nup or property paperwork drawn up before I consider marriage as an option for the Visa?

I ave searched a lot of forums looking for info and as I said I keep getting different versions from different people so I would appreciate any and all help you would have. Please keep it to Irish details as UK etc is of no use to me unfortunately. It seems forums for Irish citizens are few and far between for this kind of info.

Thanks and best regards

• D-Visa this is a 90 day single entry visa for applicants who are married once they arrive they report to the Garda & they get an extension of stay residents card.
  • C-Visa these are for short term visits for up to 90 days. The applicant will have to demonstrate she has land & assets to encourage her to return to.
  • Southern Ireland has no fiancée visa as such & you must give any registrar 90 days notice in Ireland (as far as I am aware).

We process these regularly & we haver never been declined a visa to Ireland.We take these applications on a no win no professional fee basis (subject to initial assessment). We don't offer marriage advise but why not take her on holiday first.

• Like 1

I also read somewhere that her rights to land etc are revoked once she marries a non national (is this true?)

No

Care to elaborate a bit please ?

She does not lose land ownership rights by marrying a non-Thai. Any land owned in her name before the marriage will be considered an asset that she bought into the marriage and therefore hers and hers alone in the case of marriage breakdown. If she acquires land after your marriage, you will be required to sign a statement acknowledging that the land is hers and hers alone and that you have no claim to it as a marital asset upon dissolution of marriage.

You do not acquire land ownership rights by virtue of marrying a Thai national. If you are planning to acquire land in her name but are concerned about its disposition should you split, then you might want to consider a usufruct- a binding legal mechanism whereby you acquire rights to occupy and enjoy the benefit of the land for the term of your natural life.

No

Care to elaborate a bit please ?

She does not lose land ownership rights by marrying a non-Thai. Any land owned in her name before the marriage will be considered an asset that she bought into the marriage and therefore hers and hers alone in the case of marriage breakdown. If she acquires land after your marriage, you will be required to sign a statement acknowledging that the land is hers and hers alone and that you have no claim to it as a marital asset upon dissolution of marriage.

You do not acquire land ownership rights by virtue of marrying a Thai national. If you are planning to acquire land in her name but are concerned about its disposition should you split, then you might want to consider a usufruct- a binding legal mechanism whereby you acquire rights to occupy and enjoy the benefit of the land for the term of your natural life.

This sounds exactly what I am looking for.I am not looking for anything unfair or more than I deserve I just want to know that if I have a home that I wont be kicked out on my ass should my wife die before me or should we divorce. I have been bitten once before and I am not getting any younger.

Is it possible to build a house for us both to live in but with my funds as she does not have a lot of money and then get the usufruct on the property allowing it to be shared equally in a worst case scenario.

Also is a prenup watertight as long as its done correctly before the marriage.

Thanks

If you cant prove your relationship is greater than 2 years then forget about it.

Is this true?

I have known my girlfriend 1 year now and we were considering marraige next month?

Is there any point?

Any info?

Thanks

No its not true at all we processed in 2011 16 Irish applications in total + 4 already in 2012.

I have heard it takes 3 months to get a marriage visa or a visitor sorted is that true as I have also heard some forum members say it only takes less than a week?

As far as I am aware it takes anything betwen 4 to 12 weeks depending on how busy they are.

But I think from reading other peoples responses it takes roughly 8 weeks as the application has to get sent to Ireland from Thailand first via KL.

And I think it takes roughly 4 weeks from the Irish end of things to go over it and send back to Bkk.

I'm probably wrong as usual but thats what I think :-)