Xl Chrash Helmet In Chaing Rai Chiang Mai Are

peter124

Hi there,

Really opening myself up for a lot of comments here, but I can't find anywhere in the Chiang Rai area to try and buy an XL crash helmet, ant recomendations between here and Chiang Mai.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Edited by peter124

I don't know about Chiang Rai but in Chiang Mai there is the Apparel shop and you can find that on this link

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103123673807285494411.0004624feb401af10e332&ll=18.781887,98.99835&spn=0.004088,0.005493&z=18&iwloc=00046b80ca45a7fbdb4f8

Alternatively make a post in the Chiang Rai Forum.

Hi Peter,

If you're after a high quality helmet, then Fast Corner in Chiang Mai sell them. Go to the Pantip Plaza building. They have Shoei and Arai helmets. Be prepared to pay more than Western World prices for them, as they are not copies.

Motorcycle Directory Project (scroll down for Fast Corner in CHiang Mai). They also have been improving their website of late: http://fastcorner.gear7.net/

Cheers,

Garry

Edited by Garry

There is a small shop between the small Tesco Lotus and BaanChivitMai cafe that has some REAL helmets, if you wanted something better then you'll have to go to Chiang Mai. There are some great deals to be had on Shark helmets at the moment with 50% off their 2010 helmets so a very nice carbon lid can be had for 7-11,000 baht.

Hi Peter,

If you're after a high quality helmet, then Fast Corner in Chiang Mai sell them. Go to the Pantip Plaza building. They have Shoei and Arai helmets. Be prepared to pay more than Western World prices for them, as they are not copies.

Motorcycle Directory Project (scroll down for Fast Corner in CHiang Mai). They also have been improving their website of late: http://fastcorner.gear7.net/

Cheers,

Garry

Problem with Arai is they only sell "Asian head shape" in Thailand - those are pretty round. Don't fit me, at least. Don't know if Shoei is similar. But there are no returns on helmets so if you get one with a pressure point you're screwed. Arai sells oval head shape helmets in the west. Confusingly, those have the same model names as the round ones sold here. I just want to share this knowledge as I acquired it at a pretty steep price of 16,000 baht ;)

I'd recommend the Kawasaki shop on the moat, outside of the south moat past Chiang Mai gate. They have plenty of XL and XXL sizes, and some interesting models from Sparx, Nolan, Scorpion, and a few others. Loving my SparX from them which only cost 4,000 baht. Nolan is ~9,000 I think.

The other great place for cheap helmets is the little shop across from Suriwong Book Center - they have Real, LS2, and other brands. LS2 look really decent although I have no personal experience with them.

Don't get too stressed on the top end helmets, Shoe, Arai, etc. Many of them cost a fortune because of the exotic materials required to pass the Snell test. The Snell test has an element where a helmet has to take a second blow on the same spot and pass an accelerometer test. This generally is not what is going to happen to you in a crash and some think that the extra rigidity required to pass this test can actually be a negative as it results in higher acceleration in the initial impact. Just make sure that the exterior shell is a proper material that will resist penetration and that the cushioning inside is sufficient to absorb one big hit. After that fit, vision, comfort and a removable liner are likely the most important features. Get a good helmet but don't think that a 30,000 baht arai is necessarily any safer than an 8,000 baht HJC. If you are unsure if a helmet is "too cheap" do some internet research. If the outside shell is a hard candy coating with a hello kitty sticker, you might wanna move on.

Hey,

Want to Know which helmets is the best?

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Enjoy !

Sylvain

Nice link, I like the comment on the sight at the end of the ratings explanation where they recommend that proper fit is the most important element of helmet selection.

I am not too happy that my HJC IS-16 was rated poorly on side impacts, I guess I better crash head-on rather than try avoid the hit and pull a high-sider. B)

One other note on helmets is that they should be replaced every few years even if you don't crash in them. Hopefully, everyone knows to bin them once you do crash with it (provided it takes a hit that is).

Edited by Dakling

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Well just to finish this one off, for me anyway, I paid a visit to Ching Mai on Tuesday and visited the shops that were recommended. Managed to buy two new crash hats, XXL and a couple of spare visors.

Bought them from Helmets & Dirt who have a website, www.helmet2home.com or call on 083-7606067 or 086-6546498.

Thanks to all for advice and help.

Peter

Hi there,

Well just to finish this one off, for me anyway, I paid a visit to Ching Mai on Tuesday and visited the shops that were recommended. Managed to buy two new crash hats, XXL and a couple of spare visors.

Bought them from Helmets & Dirt who have a website, www.helmet2home.com or call on 083-7606067 or 086-6546498.

Where are they located? The prices are pretty good on that website...

Hi there,

Across Suriwong Bookstore. When you buy stuff from the store instead of ordering from the website, the owner will still give you a few hundred baht off your purchase, depending on what you're buying.

Hi there,

Across Suriwong Bookstore. When you buy stuff from the store instead of ordering from the website, the owner will still give you a few hundred baht off your purchase, depending on what you're buying.

Oh thats the same shop, didn't know that, thanks!. I've been there a few times, price is certainly right. I wonder if they're supplied via Mae Sai as their selection of helmets looks similar to the shops up there. Or maybe it's just a co incidence they have lots of LS2s...

Hi there,

Oh thats the same shop, didn't know that, thanks!. I've been there a few times, price is certainly right. I wonder if they're supplied via Mae Sai as their selection of helmets looks similar to the shops up there. Or maybe it's just a co incidence they have lots of LS2s...

Hmm... that has got me thinking...

I just recalled, didn't you just get a Spark helmet from Kawasaki a couple of months back?