Has Ais Changed Frequency Re 3G ?

Chivas

Had subscribed to AIS 3G on the basis it defaulted to Edge if no 3G signal but was unaware it worked on the HE156G ??

Playing around with my dongles whilst waiting for flight I suddenly had lightening quick speeds.

Checked that I hadn't piggybacked another signal but certainly hadn't.

Something changed ??

AIS uses 900Mhz for 3G. Are you a postpaid business customer? If yes, they allow you to roam on TOT3G now but at 10X the normal rate for data. Make sure you are not connecting to TOT3G or you are going to get a very bad surprise when you get your next bill.

AIS uses 900Mhz for 3G. Are you a postpaid business customer? If yes, they allow you to roam on TOT3G now but at 10X the normal rate for data. Make sure you are not connecting to TOT3G or you are going to get a very bad surprise when you get your next bill.

No am on/was on monthly unlimited data pre paid.

Whatever was getting full 3G experience and very good it was.

AIS and TOT entered into a mutual roaming agreement the day after the election. :whistling: It's supposed to take effect "from the beginning of October", but maybe it kicked in early.

TOT will allow 60,000 AIS 3G customers to roam onto their 2100 Mhz 3G network in greater Bangkok, in turn AIS will allow 200,000 TOT 3G customers to roam onto AIS's national voice network, and 10,000 TOT 3G customers to roam onto AIS's national data network.

I believe end-user pricing is transparent, that is to say, customers will not pay extra for roaming. At least that's how I understand this arrangement. Also, not sure how they meter the number of customers?

Hence the OP can get 3G at SBIA, where AIS may not have coverage currently, using an AIS/One-2-Call SIM on 2100 Mhz.

AIS and TOT entered into a mutual roaming agreement the day after the election. :whistling: It's supposed to take effect "from the beginning of October", but maybe it kicked in early.

TOT will allow 60,000 AIS 3G customers to roam onto their 2100 Mhz 3G network in greater Bangkok, in turn AIS will allow 200,000 TOT 3G customers to roam onto AIS's national voice network, and 10,000 TOT 3G customers to roam onto AIS's national data network.

I believe end-user pricing is transparent, that is to say, customers will not pay extra for roaming. At least that's how I understand this arrangement. Also, not sure how they meter the number of customers?

Hence the OP can get 3G at SBIA, where AIS may not have coverage currently, using an AIS/One-2-Call SIM on 2100 Mhz.

Appears that what I got !!

Whatever was exceptionally speed and whilst I didnt speed test it it was quicker than the landline speed im getting to type this currently in UK.

Interesting. I remember reading sometime ago about this roaming agreement between AIS and TOT but had forgotten completely about it.

I am presently in an area with poor 3G reception from AIS so I turned the "Allow data roaming " on and Hey Presto I picked up a 3G signal. I did a speed test and received a download speed of 3216 kbps against the 751 kbps before data roaming.

I am also on an unlimited data package but I have a question regarding data roaming. How does data roaming actually work? I know that if I can't get a strong AIS 3G signal I will pick up TOT's signal but how do I know it's TOT's and not True. I wouldn't want to pick up True without knowing and then get a huge bill at the end of the month?

I don't have a 3G modem, but my signal has increased significantly.

We live in a remote area south of Chumphon and have a small

AIS station to relay the signal. Still not great, but better. Wonder

if I brought a 3G modem would I get a 3G signal.

I am presently in an area with poor 3G reception from AIS so I turned the "Allow data roaming " on and Hey Presto I picked up a 3G signal. I did a speed test and received a download speed of 3216 kbps against the 751 kbps before data roaming.

I am also on an unlimited data package but I have a question regarding data roaming. How does data roaming actually work? I know that if I can't get a strong AIS 3G signal I will pick up TOT's signal but how do I know it's TOT's and not True. I wouldn't want to pick up True without knowing and then get a huge bill at the end of the month?

Truemove would not allow you to "roam" onto their network as your SIM is not registered with them. No need to worry.

I don't have a 3G modem, but my signal has increased significantly.

We live in a remote area south of Chumphon and have a small

AIS station to relay the signal. Still not great, but better. Wonder

if I brought a 3G modem would I get a 3G signal.

Maybe check the AIS 3G coverage page? Or drop them an email, or ring them on 1175 to get the latest on coverage. Or ask a neighbor who has a 3G phone.

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/#9

Edited by lomatopo