Santika Club Owner Sentenced To 3 Years In Jail: Bangkok

webfact

I don't know the details of why so many people died but cannot help but wonder what way the exit/entrance doors opened.

Not sure about the rest of the world but in the US almost all public doors open out. This is because there are numerous fires where people lay dead right inside the door because they all pushed to get out causing the people in the front not to be able to open the doors, if they opened inwards.

I am still amazed that most doors I go through in Thailand, be it a condo or eatery or business, open inward. It is not even like it is a 50/50 shot of them opening out, they almost all open in. Maybe the architects or builders think more about rain but a simple thing like this can save countless lives in a fire.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad loss of life.

I will say that all of the farangs posting here get off your high horse. Like it or not it is the Thai syatem and it works for them. All of your pissing and moaning is about as good as butting your head aganist the wall

1.83 months for each life lost, What Justice.

Don't blame justice, blame the law-makers. It's the maximum penalty, and still the biggest culprit will appeal??? Does this guy has not the slightest sense of remorse for what he has caused from his negligence? :bah: :bah: :bah:

1.83 months for each life lost, What Justice.

Don't blame justice, blame the law-makers. It's the maximum penalty, and still the biggest culprit will appeal??? Does this guy has not the slightest sense of remorse for what he has caused from his negligence? :bah: :bah: :bah:

Even though I can agree with the sentiment you express, the appeal is a legal option. Probably also a bit inspired by the fact that in case of appeal a defendant will not be imprisoned when there's no reason to assume the defendant will hide or flee the country. The judicial system works that way and not only in Thailand. For the victims and relatives not always easy to accept :ermm:

It's a tragedy alright. I'm trying to make sense of the penalties. So 3 years is the maximum term that can be applied? And there seems to be loads of people charged, isn't there a single "licensee" responsible for having adequate fire exits and ensuring they are visible and most importantly unlocked?

they don't say what sentence for Sarawut the lead singer of Burn .... a sure fact is that he never lit any firework on stage and he was even off stage when the fire started as the band had finished playing 5 minutes earlier .... yesterday saw Burn play as usual in sinakarin ... always at the top of their game

A change of name for the band could be appropriate.

Absolutely, when I first read about this a year or so ago I saw the band name and thought, "You must be joking".

Two get jail sentence over Santika Pub tragedy

By The Nation

30165755-01.jpg

The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced the executives of Santika Pub and a specialeffect company to three years in jail for their recklessness that led to 63 deaths and the injuries of so many victims in an inferno.

The jail term was handed down to Wisuk Sretsawas, executive of Santika Pub, and Boonchu Laoseenart, executive of Focus Light Sound System Co Ltd.

Boonchu and his company were also ordered to pay Bt8.7 million compensation to five of plaintiffs.

Four other defendants, the pub's employees and a singer, were acquitted.

During a countdown party to Year 2009 at the Santika Pub, a specialeffect item went wrong and spread the fire throughout the upscale nighttime entertainment venue. The lack of clear signs of fire exits and automatic fireextinguishing system, inadequate emergency lighting, the use of flammable materials for interior design, as well as overcrowding at the pub were blamed for the huge casualties.

While doors at the place would allow up to 408 people to rush out safely, there were more than 1,000 people at the Santika Pub at the time the fire erupted.

The blaze started from the late night of December 31, 2008 and dragged on to the following day.

The inferno killed 67 people and injured 103 other victims. Of the injured, 32 have sustained serious injuries.

The Criminal Court yesterday handed down the guilty verdict to three of the seven defendants in a packed courtroom. More than 100 people including Santika Pub victims and their relatives crowded inside.

According to the court, this case is expected to remind other entrepreneurs that they must always keep the safety of their customers in mind. Due to their recklessness, Wisuk's and Boonchu's were given a jail term. It was not suspended.

Wisuk, who had already paid Bt3.39 million in compensation to some of the victims, said he disagreed with the court's ruling.

"I will definitely lodge an appeal," he said.

Wisuk was released on Bt1million bail yesterday.

Public prosecutor Reucha Krairerk said

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-21

It is not only Thailand where sentences like this happens. The club fire years ago (one of the worst in US history) in Rhode Island killed 100 and injured 230 people and those claimed responsible were only sentenced to 4-years in prison and believe they all got out before serving 1/2 their time. Even in the US, where blood is often demanded in these cases, most of the families felt the sentences were just and many felt those sentenced were simply scapegoats. The fire was caused by improper use of pyrotechnics and you also had a similar situation where the fire department didn't do its job and allowed the club to operate without fire sprinklers ... not to mention there were parts of the investigation that were never made public.

There very well may have been mitigating circumstances surrounding the defendants in both these case as well as remorse shown to the victims and compensation offered to the family that would help them a lot more than a long jail sentence. I simply don't know what is just in either case, as is probably the case for most of us here, since we really don't know all the true facts, the victims & their family's feelings, the remorse of the guilty and all the circumstances that led to these tragic results.

The most important thing, beyond easing the suffering of victims, is to make sure lessons are learned and enforcement & laws get improved to help prevent the likelihood of a similar event.

The most important thing, beyond easing the suffering of victims, is to make sure lessons are learned and enforcement & laws get improved to help prevent the likelihood of a similar event.

Sometimes I wonder if you have ever actually been to Thailand, and then i wonder if you are just a master at trolling. i think it the latter of the two.

Sometimes I wonder if you have ever actually been to Thailand, and then i wonder if you are just a master at trolling. i think it the latter of the two.

I guess that says a lot about you given your reaction to my post.

Edited by Nisa

According to the court, this case is expected to remind other entrepreneurs that they must always keep the safety of their customers in mind.[/thenation]

It is a reminder to other entrepreneurs that they need to keep 1 Mil handy for bail purposes, nothing more.

It is not only Thailand where sentences like this happens. The club fire years ago (one of the worst in US history) in Rhode Island killed 100 and injured 230 people and those claimed responsible were only sentenced to 4-years in prison and believe they all got out before serving 1/2 their time. Even in the US, where blood is often demanded in these cases, most of the families felt the sentences were just and many felt those sentenced were simply scapegoats. The fire was caused by improper use of pyrotechnics and you also had a similar situation where the fire department didn't do its job and allowed the club to operate without fire sprinklers ... not to mention there were parts of the investigation that were never made public.

There very well may have been mitigating circumstances surrounding the defendants in both these case as well as remorse shown to the victims and compensation offered to the family that would help them a lot more than a long jail sentence. I simply don't know what is just in either case, as is probably the case for most of us here, since we really don't know all the true facts, the victims & their family's feelings, the remorse of the guilty and all the circumstances that led to these tragic results.

That's all true Nisa and the sentences would seem light there as well. One difference in that case however is that more than $175 million was distributed to plaintiffs whereas the Santika victims can expect nothing.

While I'm no fan of lawyers and feel America is an overly litigous society, there is no more effectice tool IMO in changing negligent practices than awarding massive punitive damages.

Edited by lannarebirth

That's all true Nisa and the sentences would seem light there as well. One difference in that case however is that more than $175 million was distributed to plaintiffs whereas the Santika vicyims can expect nothing.

I am not sure that amount was agreed upon or paid yet but they have settled other claims with others for many millions and if they haven't got the $175 Mill yet, they will eventually and possibly more. Although I am glad these people will be compensated greatly for their loss and injuries (minus 30% to the lawyers), you have to remember that the US is also looked at negatively because it is so litigious where juries can and have awarded people incredible amounts in suits such as a women who a jury ruled should get $2.8 million from McDonald because the plaintiff said the coffee she spilled on her leg was too hot. (McDonald's refused to pay and eventually settled for $600 or 800k for a medical bills that were $10k and likely very inflated as is the case in any suit like this in the US)

Point being is these are 2 different cultures with America being one extreme and Thailand being on the other when it comes to settlement values. Neither imo is good. Also, at least in America, a death is partly valued at what the person would have made/earned if they had lived and of course that is a heck of a lot more than a Thai person over the rest of somebody's life time. So yes, the value of a life in the US, in a civil case, is going to be considerably more. (a Thai making 20k baht a month for 20 years = $160k while a person in the US making $50k a year would make $1 Million in 20 years)

I'm fairly confident that those injured in this fire had there medical bills paid and "some" compensation has been received by families who have lost family members but clearly in my eyes (and I believe yours) it is not close to being enough but what matters is what the families and victims feel is fair and that amount (although could never be enough anywhere) regardless if eventually paid or not is going to be a lot less than what you and I think they should get.

Good result....lets however see if the sentences/compensation get carried through...this is only way things can improve in Thailand, make people accountable for their actions

Unfortunately, there is no hope of this. There are all out on bail and will never serve a day in jail or pay any more than the miserable amount of compensation they have already paid. The sentences will be quashed or suspended by the appeal court or supreme court and the fines will either be reduced or they will avoid paying by declaring bankruptcy.

The Thonglor police who took massive bribes to allow the club to operate illegally without an entertainment licence and without compliance with safety regulations are not facing any punishment. Neither are the people who forged an architect's signature to apply for building permission etc, etc.

Crime pays and will continue to do so under a third world corrupt law enforcement and judicial system.

Right, crime pays. But not in the USA or UK or Europe or Mexico or South America or China or Russia or Japan or Australia. :blink: