How? Thai Girlfriend (Not Fiance) Visa To Visit Usa

I've read all the posts to this point and believe them all. This includes the description of the officers' apparant attitudes, as well as the one post that applauded said attitudes. It is true that the American officials often act in a way that is absolutely astounding and embarassing to the core. What makes this so embarassing is that it is totally unnecessary. There are a hundred ways to say "no" without being rude, accusative, nasty, or threatening.

But I want to sick to the OP's request.

To understand this visa process you must embrace the idea that the officials start off with the belief that whatever they are told is most likely not true. They make it clear even on their website that they have one singleminded purpose, and that it to make sure that everyone granted a visa leaves the country when they are told. Maybe a better way to put their position would be "We know you are trying to trick us, and we're not going to let you." That's it. They think you are going to overstay, and they've got lots of experience to show they're probably right, so you've got to make it appear that there isn't a snowball's chance that you'll stay a minute longer than granted. Once you understand that principle, then everything else falls into place.

Bringing documentation is important, but I've been directly involved in only three cases - all of which received visas - and in 2/3 of them I know for a fact that the documentation wasd almost an afterthought. The first case took place six years ago. At that time my brother owned a business which imported Thai textiles. He got his company (meaning my brother - there were no other employees) to send a letter to his Thai supplier asking him to send a representative to meetings in the USA so they could better understand what was needed at both ends of this business connection. The Thai business owner then chose his daughter (surprise) and all the documentation was submitted to the US embassy. I do not know whether they were read, or what the girl looked like when she appeared, or any other detail. I do know that The embassy issued a 90 day visa with little ado. The girl has yet to return to Thailand, which kind of proved that there is a real basis for the distrust between officer and candidate.

In the next case, the Thai lady applying for eh visa had formerly been a teacher. She was now self-employed by a Thai division of an American company and had visited many countries on her Thai visa including Switzerland. The American company wrote to discuss her new promotion, her new duties and the six week training session she was to receive in New York. The letters were very specific as to dates and times, including references to hotel arrangements, transport, etc. The candidate brought all these plus har tax records, her house registration, car registration, and teaching license to the embassy. The interviewer took the documentation but never read a single item. She merely flipped through them and handed the packet back. She asked only about the company and the candidate's duties. In the end, the interviewer asked to see a sample of the products the company sold, and the candidate said she did not have any with her. The result was that the officer told her in a fairly haughty manner that she was denied a visa, but she COULD return with a sample if she wanted. It was clear that teh officer thought she had just about been successfully scammed. Her tone varied between sounding aloof and uninterested, to slightly hostile and disbelieving, and finally shooed the candidate away in an accusative manner.

The candidate returned a few days later, and again without seeing a single bit of documentary evidence - or even the requested sample - the officer smiled and announced "I'm giving you a ten year approval. Good luck," and it was over.

The third case came two years later. It was the mother of the last mentioned candidate. Her story was that her daughter lived with an American in Thailand. During those years, the American's elderly father came to spend many months with the Thai family and they all got very close. The father then returned to America where his health declined. Now the candidate and the American had a child, which the father had never seen, and everyone at the Thai end wanted to visit the father perhaps for the last time. Yep, the mother also got a 10 year stamp - this time without even the second visit.

So what made these work? Nobody knows, but I have very strong opinions. First of all, the daughter dressed in business clothes. Not sexy clothes, not party clothes. Strictly business. She is beautiful, but she seemed high class. She stood out in a room full of other beautiful ladies who looked, well, more attractive. You know what I mean. YEs, some looked like hookers, but most just were wearing their Sunday best, and that was a mistake. Skip the heels, or at least anything over an inch. The fact is that the immigration officer pretty much assumes that every woman under age 45 who applies is going to run away in the USA and become a prostitute. So don't feed that image. Don't look too sexy, and don't look financially desperate.

Sure it probably was important that the candidate had all the supporting stuff. But the decision both times seems to have been 90% made before the candidate even opened her mouth. Her apearance and demeanor took center stage.

When this candidate was turned down on her first visit she was so depressed that she almost refused to ever return. But when she came back, she walked up tp the window, smiled, and waied the officer (the same one from before). She quietly identified herself and the officer said that she was suprised to see her again. Then without another word, she told the candidate that she would get the visa. I believe down to my toes that it was the smile and appearance of respectful confidence that turned the tide. A wai goes a long way here.

In the case of this lady's mother, well, the mother owned a house, was leaving several other daughters and her husband behind, could not speak English so she would be travelling with her daughter, and was past streetwalking age, so it was easy. Still, she dressed like a respectful elder, and looked like the kind of person anyone would want to help.

So I guess my main advice is to follow all protocol, assemble all documentation, and remember that the first impression may be the whole ballgame.

Good luck.

I think this is likely an accurate analysis, especially considering the seemingly inconsistent results various applicants get. With some going to the embassy with very solid qualification and documentation getting rejected and others who would seem much less qualified getting rejected. And in general when dealing with government agencies or big businesses, coming across as like able, presentable and profession able is very important., I also thought is was interesting about them watching you on camera in the waiting room. I wasn't aware of that and I doubt many people are, but it is a good thing to know. I thought it was also good that you pointed out the likely bias, that they believe most Thai women will stay in the USA and become prostitutes. Its rubbish, but given the extreme politialy correctness in the USA and the way Thailand is often portrayed therem, almost certainly true of at least some of the embassy personnel.