Thailand Beefs Up Airport Flood Defences

webfact

What is this for a mysterious "river in the underground"? Where does it come from, where does it go? Can you provide a link to some information? Thanks.

http://wwwrcamnl.wr.usgs.gov/rgws/Unesco/PDF-Chapters/Chapter9-10.pdf

Here is a link for you. This is what the "river" consists of.

Well, I thouht that an aquifer is usually a waterbearing layer and not necessarily a river. Wher should the water go to in case this would be a river.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

airport is opened, there would be food at restaurants but not that much at food shops/supermarkets.

bang bua thong is flooded up to 1m, the outer western ring road is closed after khlong mahasawat/bang kruay.

you might thing to come to your house as close as possible and stay somewhere at the guesthouse and try to bring the rest of your family there.

airport is opened, there would be food at restaurants but not that much at food shops/supermarkets.

bang bua thong is flooded up to 1m, the outer western ring road is closed after khlong mahasawat/bang kruay.

you might thing to come to your house as close as possible and stay somewhere at the guesthouse and try to bring the rest of your family there.

Thanks for the good info Londonthai. Keep the info coming please. My family is safe at this time in my home in Chumphon. I will be going back there for the clean up and am going to closely monitor the water levels as to when i can get back in to my housing development.

I was talking to neighbors and they evacuated Chai Pruk Village.

thanks gratefully

What is this for a mysterious "river in the underground"? Where does it come from, where does it go? Can you provide a link to some information? Thanks.

http://wwwrcamnl.wr....Chapter9-10.pdf

Here is a link for you. This is what the "river" consists of.

Well, I thouht that an aquifer is usually a waterbearing layer and not necessarily a river. Wher should the water go to in case this would be a river.

As a geologist with a good understanding of hydrogeological processes, all this link does is confirm that there are several aquifers spread over the whole bangkok area flood plain.

It gives no indication of any particular aquifer specifically located underneath the airport. Anyway, this flooding is due to excessive overland flow and aquifers basically have nothing to do with that. Underground rivers are a complete misconception of waterflow through aquifersm however If you wish to think of it like that, then your underground river is already at capacity, and is physically unable to burst its banks.

An interesting read though thanks

• 1 month later...

can anyone tell me how much rainfall there has been ?compared to the UK for example , how long would it take in your average uk month to get this much rain ?? i thought wales was wet but <deleted> me this is crazy, !, and when the rain stops, how long before its all gone ? ive been in a few floods in thailand but they were always local, covering about 10m2 , nothing like this.

It was around 25% of annual rainfall for the entire Chao Pharaya catchment that falls in less than 7 days. Under the normal condition it takes about 90days to collect that much water. To be precise 17 billion cubic meter of rushing water in less than 7 days. The normal average is just below 1.4billion cubic meter.