Chuwit Warns Shortages Could Lead To Looting: Flood Crisis

webfact

Anybody who considers that a foreigner, aiding a community by filling sandbags, distributing food to the needy or the multitude of other things required in this catastrophe, will be arrested or deported for working without a work permit must be high on crack.

With the history of translation, enforcement, interpretation of laws/guidelines, as well as new law proposed/passed, many may support your assumption that someone is on crack.

Only someone? (I really just wanted to correct the quote blocks)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the government wants all hands on deck including farangs ,why dont they issue a statement on tv ,radio , newspapers?

a simple statement like " all available persons please help work building sandbags in x ,y and z areas ,no work permit required "

half of bangkok is bored waiting for something that may not even happen so they might get a great response :rolleyes:

Anybody who considers that a foreigner, aiding a community by filling sandbags, distributing food to the needy or the multitude of other things required in this catastrophe, will be arrested or deported for working without a work permit must be high on crack.

Foreigners providing humanitarian help after the tsunami ACTUALLY WERE ARRESTED for having no work permits. The government did order them released. I guess this mentality comes from the same people that handled about 36 million dollars of international tsunami aid money, of which 90% disappeared.

Edited by atyclb

if the government wants all hands on deck including farangs ,why dont they issue a statement on tv ,radio , newspapers?

a simple statement like " all available persons please help work building sandbags in x ,y and z areas ,no work permit required "

half of bangkok is bored waiting for something that may not even happen so they might get a great response :rolleyes:

Great idea! If they put the right marketing spin on it, they could maybe get some of the unbored (is it?) to participate as well.

Visit the scenic Chao Phraya levees this week!

Participate in the Historic Salvation of Bangkok from the Water Goddess.

Tired of your apartment? Come to the flood walls for a change-of-pace lunch and mild exercise.

Forgot to renew your gym subscription? Come visit a flood wall. We have skilled trainers.

Don't have a pool and have an unquenchable desire for a dip ... we have the solution!

This might work better: One-year, no-charge, no-questions, unrevokeable, work visas granted for foreign volunteers to the Bangkok flood effort. Three-day maximum work period and take the rest of the year off.

You marketing types can spin on from here ...

Edited by MaxYakov

Great idea! If they put the right marketing spin on it, they could maybe get some of the unbored (is it?) to participate as well.

Tired of your apartment? Come to the flood walls for a change-of-pace lunch and mild exercise.

Forgot to renew your gym subscription? Come visit a flood wall. We have skilled trainers.

Don't have a pool and have an unquenchable desire for a dip ... we have the solution!

This might work better: One-year, no-charge, no-questions, unrevokeable, work visas granted for foreign volunteers to the Bangkok flood effort. Three-day maximum work period and take the rest of the year off.

people arent going to volunteer to be possibly arrested like the tsunami volunteers were ,if the PM wants FARANG help she can ask for it

will she cover our medical bills if we get tuberculosis from contaminated water or bitten by a rat while helping ? :rolleyes:

people arent going to volunteer to be possibly arrested like the tsunami volunteers were ,if the PM wants FARANG help she can ask for it

will she cover our medical bills if we get tuberculosis from contaminated water or bitten by a rat while helping ? :rolleyes:

Rats? Rats?! Haven't they all bailed Bangkok by now? It's the alligators I'm afraid of.

Which gives me the idea for a new, flood-volunteer ad: Visit Bangkok's newly-relocated Alligator Farms!

Edited by MaxYakov

Foreigners providing humanitarian help after the tsunami ACTUALLY WERE ARRESTED for having no work permits. The government did order them released. I guess this mentality comes from the same people that handled about 36 million dollars of international tsunami aid money, of which 90% disappeared.

I remember on Phuket there were a bunch of volunteers that were arrested for 'working' without a work permit during the relief effort. They were rounded up by immigration and driven straight to the labour office, where they were given temporary work permits without fuss or hassle...

Seems like the law had to be respected, but they were willing to cut the red tape enough to turn it around quickly and get the volunteers back out in the same day. Bit crazy i know, sorry i cant give you any links for this, but i did know one of the volunteers at the time and he was shocked at the sheer stupidity of it all.

Posted Yesterday...

http://www.thaivisa....t-work-permits/

Now go read!

Thanks for the link!

"We did not enforce this law too rigidly [in the immediate aftermath of the tsunami], because we knew that everyone wanted to help out".

"But now that the situation is returning to normal, we will have to start taking it more seriously ... adding that a crackdown could begin as early as next month."

"Now that the post-tsunami relief operations are slowing down, they should have work permits to continue working. Otherwise, government officials will have no idea what they are actually doing here – and this could result in trouble in the future".

This doesn't sound as draconian as you make it out to be.

What was your point again?

Edited by MaxYakov

I remember on Phuket there were a bunch of volunteers that were arrested for 'working' without a work permit during the relief effort. They were rounded up by immigration and driven straight to the labour office, where they were given temporary work permits without fuss or hassle...

Seems like the law had to be respected, but they were willing to cut the red tape enough to turn it around quickly and get the volunteers back out in the same day. Bit crazy i know, sorry i cant give you any links for this, but i did know one of the volunteers at the time and he was shocked at the sheer stupidity of it all.

thats what the get for lending a helping hand :whistling: ,no thanks Thailand

scrap your double pricing at the government attractions and il consider it

why should i lift sandbags when i have to pay 2000 or 3000thb to watch the muai thai at lumpini and a thai pays a couple of hundred baht ?

Som Num Na and build your own walls until you adopt the everyone is equal policy that is MANDATORY in almost everywhere else

try telling a black person in europe or a chinese man in london they have to pay 10 x times more to go into the Zoo because they are a "FARANG" and see what happens :rolleyes:

Posted Yesterday...

http://www.thaivisa....t-work-permits/

Now go read!

Thanks for the link!

"We did not enforce this law too rigidly [in the immediate aftermath of the tsunami], because we knew that everyone wanted to help out".

"But now that the situation is returning to normal, we will have to start taking it more seriously ... adding that a crackdown could begin as early as next month."

"Now that the post-tsunami relief operations are slowing down, they should have work permits to continue working. Otherwise, government officials will have no idea what they are actually doing here – and this could result in trouble in the future".

This doesn't sound as draconian as you make it out to be.

What was your point again?

My perception of those events is not "draconian". I believe the humanitarian helpers were arrested by persons seeing "money" in the form of bribes, extortion, fines, etc etc. Very sadly these people place personal greed above honor, morality, and humanity. I wonder if those taken to get work permits had to pay for the work permits?

Post 911 I sure cannot recall any tourists or anyone with a student visa arrested for assisting those affected.

why should i lift sandbags when i have to pay 2000 or 3000thb to watch the muai thai at lumpini and a thai pays a couple of hundred baht ?

Som Num Na and build your own walls until you adopt the everyone is equal policy that is MANDATORY in almost everywhere else

try telling a black person in europe or a chinese man in london they have to pay 10 x times more to go into the Zoo because they are a "FARANG" and see what happens :rolleyes:

Equality does not exist in Thai society. Just look at the short end of the stick the lower sociology-economic class gets. Watch Thai boxing on TV in a comfortable place, its better.

That's it folks. The ultimate protest. Simply refuse to 'lift sandbags' to protest Thailand's dual-pricing policy. It works for me!

Rats? Rats?! Haven't they all bailed Bangkok by now? It's the alligators I'm afraid of.

Which gives me the idea for a new, flood-volunteer ad: Visit Bangkok's newly-relocated Alligator Farms!

All crocodiles/alligators found will be given inactive posts, as punishment for escaping.

Edited by ginjag

All crocodiles/alligators found will be given inactive posts, as punishment for escaping.

Inactive posts? Being something like boots or a suitcase or something?

exactly :lol:...this should also apply to the Bib/P.m.s/Officers that do wrong..turning them into something useful.

Agreed. Even though the thread is 6 1/2 years old, I'd bet that it would largely apply today. I could not find that thread with a Forum Search for some reason, but I went to page 1 and started reading. Of course, there was the typical spectrum of opinion and the pertinent excerpt from a 1978 Royal Decree that defines 'work' by foreigners (with a caveat by one of the posters that post-decree Thai laws could have altered the decree/law situation).

Here's one of the final posts on the topic:

This topic has been of both concern and amusement to many - thanks to vxtaylor coments on the matter we now have some sence made of the situation.

Hopefully volunteers will not be put off going to assist if they see an opportunity to do so. After all, whats a bit of formal paperwork if you are realy intersted in helping out those displaced?

Edited by MaxYakov

500 baht for a boat trip is a bargin some prick turned up at my condo block in Chiang Mai offering a 500 meter boat ride for 2,000 baht! needless to say I told him 2 go f@#k himself and that I would eat my own leg before I would give him that.

HAHahaa.. You should hijack his boat, force him to take you to your destination. kick him in the nuts and call it even.:lol:

Red Shirts & Pheu Thai have lots of experience in regards to looting.

Central World, Center One,Big C, Gaysorn just to name a few :ph34r:

I don't think we want to go there again.

Looting disaster victims is a lucrative business which goes way back - before the Reds ;)

Looting disaster victims is a lucrative business which goes way back - before the Reds ;)

Look at the upside. The looters didn't take the bodies or the flight recorders. I wonder if that would be the case these days.

Look at the upside. The looters didn't take the bodies or the flight recorders. I wonder if that would be the case these days.

Quote from the Nation the day after the crash.

"Shame, because our society, which follows the teaching of the Lord Buddha, has reduced itself to a mere parasitic mode of existence with materialism overwhelming everything else--even human lives--and despair because the authorities never made any effort, as usual, to cordon off the crash site from these rapacious and callous vultures."

He's right and that is precisely why so much effort has been invested in saving Bangkok. Bangkok is densely populated and the financial heart of thailand. Any civil unrest in Bangkok would spread with widespread looting and attacks against the "haves". This is when a government declares the draconian emergency decree. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.

The only time Bangkok suffers "civil unrest" is when the Thaksin's red shirt terrorists invade the city and start lobbing grenades and burning down buildings. Fortunately most red shirts are up to their necks in flood water so hopefully Bangkok will be spared this time.

What a sensitive and intelligent remark!

The Thai Army is planning a takeover under the EMERGENCY trick.

Sorry to type in riddles but I dont like jail.

It would be nice but I doubt it.

Oh yeah, that would be nice! ...if you like bloody riots!