Storing Corn Tortillas?

bonobo

I have read on the internet everything from do not freeze, freeze, store in a cool dry place, refrigerate--and so on. I just brought back about 80 corn tortillas, and while I will have some this weekend, I need to store the rest for later usage.

Does anyone have their own proven way to keep these? How about you, Kikoman? You seem to be an expert on this.

Since Villa stopped carrying corn tortillas, I have to bring them back from the US each trip. I would love to be able to make them myself, but from previous threads, that seems to be problematic here in Thailand.

When I go to Bangkok or Pattaya, I buy from 10-15 packages of corn tortillas. I have always frozen them for later use, they keep quite well.

If you store them without freezing they will get moldy, has been my experience, I always have corn tortillas in my freezer.

Hope that was helpful!

Cheers:smile.gif

Edited by kikoman

When I go to Bangkok or Pattaya, I buy from 10-15 packages of corn tortillas. I have always frozen them for later use, they keep quite well.

If you store them without freezing they will get moldy, has been my experience, I always have corn tortillas in my freezer.

Hope that was helpful!

Agreed...........freeze them in units that you expect to use per meal.

Hope that was helpful!

Agree however Villa Hua Hin stillm sell them and foodland Bkk

Hope that was helpful!

yeah...I always freeze 'em if I got 'em...mind if you get them anywhere other than a small corner shop around LA they're probably not fresh to begin with (still warm with moisture condensing on the inside of the bag...fresh from the local tortilleria)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Hope that was helpful!

yeah...I always freeze 'em if I got 'em...mind if you get them anywhere other than a small corner shop around LA they're probably not fresh to begin with (still warm with moisture condensing on the inside of the bag...fresh from the local tortilleria)

I got 50 of them at a San Diego shop, and they were still warm. :) I had one at the shop with just butter on it. The other ones were from a restaurant store.

Thanks for the feedback all. I will parcel them out and freeze them.

I opened one package yesterday to make some tacos, and I wrapped the rest, first with saran wrap, then with aluminum foil, to freeze the. About 7 or 8 of them broke in transit, so I didn't bother freezing those. Maybe I will mix them up with some scrambled eggs and salsa for breakfast.

But I have to admit to something here. I may have been having a lifelong case of taco elitism. Having lived in Mexico and in the US where decent if not good Mexican food is available, I have had a degree of disdain for the "Taco Bell" type taco, the ones with ground beef, taco seasoning, and the like. I don't like shells so much, and I much prefer a more Mexican-type filling (carne asada, carnitas, fish, etc.) (I do like Jack-in-the-Box's so-called tacos, though)

However, I also brought over some packets of taco seasoning ($0.33 apiece), something I have never used before in my life. I bought some ground beef at Villa and prepared it as per the seasoning packet. I lightly fried the tortillas, them built the tacos with the seasoned beef, guacamole, onions, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and (gasp!) Pace taco sauce. And you know what? They were delicious! I still would rather have had some more authentic Mexican tacos, but these were certainly good. I have made a few ground beef or pork tacos her in Thailand before using a seasoning I sort of put together on my own, but this little package of seasoning along with the Pace sauce really made these tacos something well worth eating.

I opened one package yesterday to make some tacos, and I wrapped the rest, first with saran wrap, then with aluminum foil, to freeze the. About 7 or 8 of them broke in transit, so I didn't bother freezing those. Maybe I will mix them up with some scrambled eggs and salsa for breakfast.

But I have to admit to something here. I may have been having a lifelong case of taco elitism. Having lived in Mexico and in the US where decent if not good Mexican food is available, I have had a degree of disdain for the "Taco Bell" type taco, the ones with ground beef, taco seasoning, and the like. I don't like shells so much, and I much prefer a more Mexican-type filling (carne asada, carnitas, fish, etc.) (I do like Jack-in-the-Box's so-called tacos, though)

However, I also brought over some packets of taco seasoning ($0.33 apiece), something I have never used before in my life. I bought some ground beef at Villa and prepared it as per the seasoning packet. I lightly fried the tortillas, them built the tacos with the seasoned beef, guacamole, onions, tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and (gasp!) Pace taco sauce. And you know what? They were delicious! I still would rather have had some more authentic Mexican tacos, but these were certainly good. I have made a few ground beef or pork tacos her in Thailand before using a seasoning I sort of put together on my own, but this little package of seasoning along with the Pace sauce really made these tacos something well worth eating.

hey, bonobo...never put down the efforts that one makes locally when there are few resources around...certainly, there is no 'taco seasoning' at the local supermercado in most places that eat tacos as daily sustenance; it is a convenience used by gringo housewives when they want to give their families a treat at suppertime...I remember a US engineer once in Indonesia bragging that he ate 25 tacos in a competition in Kansas City...hate to think of what them tacos tasted like...:bah:

with regard to taco shells and Taco Bell, it's just what they use as a basic ingredient and is reminiscent of Taco Bell 'cuisine'...I remember going to Philadelphia on business some years ago and I hooked down them Taco Bell tacos like there was no tmw...burritos too although the flour 'tortillas' that they use now bear no resemblance to the real thing that they used years ago in the 70s...looked like condom material...distressingly elastic...

unfortunately I can't suggest any alternatives as I have given up on making my own mexican food except for guacamole whenever avocados are available (nice avocados once in the market in Hanoi and lovely plain Doritos and bottled salsa in a western shop by my accommodation and I defied the odds and had acceptable guacamole and chips)...if there ain't no SUITABLE corn tortillas then there ain't no food...:(

If not properly vacuum-packed, freezing them could cause them to become prone to falling apart after defrosting.

I find that the local El Charro brand is vacuum-packed quite well and freeze/thaw just fine as is.

If you are not planning on steaming them, and plan to fry them in the future anyway, the best way to preserve them (if you don't have a quality vacuum-sealer) is to soft-fry them first. This will get much of the water out and the oil will help prevent oxidation.

When you defrost them, they will be nearly as fresh as when they went in. A quick microwave, and they will be nicely pliable for rolling enchiladas or taquitos. Just a little more frying for crispy tacos, tostadas, etc.

I have always frozen my corn tortillas, as I buy them in the same packaging as sold. Never had any problems with break up of the tortilla on defrosting/ cooking.

Just wet the tortilla with some water and defrost in the micro-wave on low defrost setting. they come out soft and pliable.

Also one needs to take into account that there is a big difference in the quality of corn tortillas made in Thailand and those available in North America.

If I have tortillas that are broken, I fry them and make corn chips or Chilaquillas for breakfast.

Do whatever works for you!

If not properly vacuum-packed, freezing them could cause them to become prone to falling apart after defrosting.

I find that the local El Charro brand is vacuum-packed quite well and freeze/thaw just fine as is.

If you are not planning on steaming them, and plan to fry them in the future anyway, the best way to preserve them (if you don't have a quality vacuum-sealer) is to soft-fry them first. This will get much of the water out and the oil will help prevent oxidation.

When you defrost them, they will be nearly as fresh as when they went in. A quick microwave, and they will be nicely pliable for rolling enchiladas or taquitos. Just a little more frying for crispy tacos, tostadas, etc.

"Soft-frying?" You mean fry them a bit but stop before they get harder?

I have always frozen my corn tortillas, as I buy them in the same packaging as sold. Never had any problems with break up of the tortilla on defrosting/ cooking.

Just wet the tortilla with some water and defrost in the micro-wave on low defrost setting. they come out soft and pliable.

Also one needs to take into account that there is a big difference in the quality of corn tortillas made in Thailand and those available in North America.

If I have tortillas that are broken, I fry them and make corn chips or Chilaquillas for breakfast.

Do whatever works for you!

THanks. I will defrost them as you describe.

I agree with your sentiments on local ones. I don't like the El Charro ones which are sometimes available.

What do the local restaurants use? Where do they get theirs?