We Are Going To Be New To Chiang Rai

Bargash

Hello dear Chiang Rai people.

Well next year it's going to be the time to move to Chiang Rai. I got married in February with my wife who is originally from China. We worked for the same company (I worked in the Danish office, she worked in the Thai office) and that's how we've met.

She is flying to Thailand in January from here (Glasgow) to meet up with her dad who will be flying from China. They will buy the land in Chiang Rai through the many contacts they have within the region and build a house. (paperwork etc will all be taken care of)

Now we will start up our business there, however, before that I want to do something else first, get to know the community, see how it all works in Chiang Rai, looking for opportunities and build up a network, I don't want to be one of the Western people walking in there like I own the place. I just want to be part of an amazing community. I am familiar with the Thai culture. I have been living there with my wife for a few months, and before she started working for the company, she studied at the big Uni in Chiang Rai.

Question is, are there opportunities when it comes to teaching English to the local kids for example? Are there many community activities going on? How was your experience when you moved to Chiang Rai? I know that the age of the people reading this might vary a lot, however, I would love to hear about your opinions, and if you have any, give some pointers/tips.

I am 29, she is 25, and we can not wait to move over there. Thank you for your time reading this.

J.

post-133788-0-81563600-1318974142_thumb.

First, Welcome to CR. I am in Canada right now, fly back on the 24th Oct. This will be my second year in CR and although most of my experience has been here, CR, we do travel around Thailand quite a bit. I guess the first thing I liked about CR, was still a small city with lots of rural areas, but has most everything you need. My wife is thai and we live about 30K from CR out the old Chiang Mai Hwy in a small village. I do ride a motorcycle, an old hold over from my misspent youth in Canada, so you can imagine the fun I have riding all over the north of Thai. Age 60 and retired.

There are some wonderful people here, good support for farang if needed and lots to do and see. CR has an international airport so you are never far from anywhere. Even has a new mall, which doesn't do much for me, but the wife loves it. Even has a McDonald's if that does anything for you :lol:

I haven't made it to any of the picnic monthly lunches yet but plan to take care of that this stay. I'll bring a typical canadian dish which I guess should include "maple syrup" eh!

Again welcome, watch the forum and ask questions if you like.

Bob

You should be getting a hint as to how things work around here from who commented so far. A 60 year old retiree who visits from time to time. A much older gentleman who is not a stickler for truth in advertising. Another man of many words and many moons. Finally someone nobody knows, because he was just invented, with one post to his name. Oh, and then there is me, who nobody wants to know or to whom it would be embarrassing to admit knowing.

You might be able to find some missionaries and teachers who speak the same language of unbridled enthusiasm and optimism but that ship has already sailed for most.

Good luck looking for opportunities, building networks and finding some amazing community to be part of. Being familiar with the existence of a Thai culture and having a Chinese wife surely puts you far ahead of all the others.

Not knowing how things work in Chiang Rai will probably make starting your business easier. No need to worry about community activities as they are announced periodically over the village very-very loudspeaker with lots of weddings, funerals and sporting events (cockfights and the like) to attend.

If you run out of funerals and holidays, there is always the Hash (both a walking and a bicycle version), motorcycle rides, the Expat Club, the Potluck, the Book Club, Wine Tasting, Art Exhibitions, lots of private parties (if you can finesse an invitation or two). There are just too many to mention all.

Local kids all speak perfect English so that one might be difficult. As a rule we tend to prefer a 20 or 30 year age difference between spouses but no one will say anything to make you feel uncomfortable.

Finally, if you can read this without elevating your blood pressure and turning to the bottle then you probably won’t fit in at all. We prefer to take ourselves very seriously. :lol:

Thank you very much for all the replies! I feel welcome already :D

Are there mainly people from the UK, Oz, and NZ there, or are there also some Dutch people living out there? Being Dutch myself, it would be nice to see a few more of them scattering around :D.

My misses is going back in Dec/Jan to sort out paperwork with her father, I still have to stay in the ****** UK to save up some more money for our wedding ceremony (we got married on paper last year, this year is the ceremony) so I will arrive there in May/June.

How do the Thai people in the North think about Farangs in general? I have been working in Pattaya and could mostly only see the lowest of the lowest when it comes to the Western Community. Loudmouthed, bad mannered, and generally disgusting in appearance. I noticed that the Thai did not think well about the Western Community, mainly because I hang out with thai friends, I did not get the "fake smile and move" treatment but their real opinion about most westerners.

Are the people up north the same? (westerners and Thai?) Not that it will impact my judgment on moving over, but just so that i know what to expect.

Thank you so much for informing me so far already. Hope to hear more from you all.

jap.gif

If you get on with Thais in the South you'll get on with them up here. The language is a bit different though.

You'll see the occasional scruffy farang (tourists and local) but Chiang Rai isn't really a party town for tourists.

Don't judge everyone on their scruffiness though, I struggle a little in that field myself but I'm not too bad when you get to know me. :lol:

Plenty of Dutch up here and even more Americans.

Edited by sceadugenga

• 1 month later...

There is a large, prosperous and well-educated Thai middle-class throughout Thailand, including the north. From your posting I'd say that your wife and her family are of that class. Finding opportunities will not be difficult, as you are well-presented, well-educated, respect Thai culture and your father-in-law is well connected.

Regarding your question about the expats and the comparison with Pattaya. In Pattaya I frequently cross the road to avoid expats, whereas here I've never felt the need to do that, even if I don't always agree with their views.

Regarding the question about what do Thais think of the expats, there are several Thai forums where Thais discuss a range of issues, possibly including this one.

However, there are many many more opportunities for a European IT professional (as I think you said you were in a different thread) in Europe - especially in the UK - than in Thailand. You are unlikely to be able to support a family here in the manner in which they might wish to be accustomed on a teacher's salary. Good luck, and give my regards to Glasgow :-)

Plenty of Dutch up here ...

Yes, there is even a Dutch village where everybody lives on his own little island

connected to the rest of the world by a real drawbridge ('ophaalbrug').

Plenty of houses have wooden shoes ('klompen') next to their door bell.

Cars with 'NL-stickers', you name it!

And walking through the main street the smell of croquettes ('bitterballen') will

spontanously find its way into your nose.

You want to enjoy a real pea soup ('erwtensoep') and feel the atmosphere of a Dutch

old style pub ('bruin cafe'), just go to the 'Old Dutch' at the main street.

The owner of it knows the art of singing the song 'Bij ons in de Jorda-a-a-a-an, waar

de bloemen voor de ramen sta-a-a-a-an' so in your worst moments ...

In case you think I'm joking: No, I'm not!

About 40 senior Dutch people enjoy the official basic state pension ('AOW') here and

are therefore registered at the local Thai Social Security Office. Many more are younger

though and making a living here as well.

Anyhow, it's nice to speak your own language once in a while, but if there is a chance

that you are going to live for a longer period here: "learn Thai, learn Thai, learn Thai,

because before all, this is Thailand and maybe the greatest charm of it is its welcoming

people. Join them!"

Welcome to Chiang Rai and good luck to you and your lovely wife!

Limbo :yohan:

PS: We love orange here!

post-6305-0-40008000-1323085679_thumb.jp

Welcome to Chiang Rai Bargash. You and your wife will get along fine.

Good to see you didn't take the BAIT of one of the few toublemakers here on this Forum.

You know that type of personality with the Superiority Complex. Is Middle aged as well, and often seen dining alone.

Reclining on a Thai Sofa, wearing Thai Robes with Younger Thai Woman on the floor with a flock of children also at feet.

Don't worry, that type is Not Encountered out Socilizing with the Peasants.

Edited by KimoMax

Welcome to Chiang Rai Bargash. You and your wife will get along fine.

Good to see you didn't take the BAIT of one of the few toublemakers here on this Forum.

You know that type of personality with the Superiority Complex. Is Middle aged as well, and often seen dining alone.

Reclining on a Thai Sofa, wearing Thai Robes with Younger Thai Woman on the floor with a flock of children also at feet.

Don't worry, that type is Not Encountered out Socilizing with the Peasants.

Hello Bargash and welcome to northern Thailand.

I trust you and the lovely lady will be very happy here.

Contrasting with Pattaya and most other places in "the deep south", the Thai smile is alive and well and genuine in Chiang Rai (and parts of my own home town, Chiang Mai), still!

You will find that the value for money is outstanding and the expat community, though very small by the standards of CM and places south, is very interesting and mostly non-threatening.

Your fellow Netherlanders are actually a higher proportion of the 'farang fellers' in CR than CM, and every one I have ever met there has been charming and helpful. You even have a Dutch-speaking Swiss GM of The Legend Hotel, Marc Dumur, who is full of good advice.

Down in CM you even have a recently appointed Hon Consul, who may also be helpful. Peter Van Loo. His 'Hash House Harrier' name is 'Dyke Converter', but I will leave him to explain that to you himself. (He is much bigger and fitter than I am).

I like the way you have introduced yourself here and feel you will be made warmly welcome. Good luck!

Thank you all for the warm welcome people, really nice of you all!

Yeah, we are currently preparing, however it can be quite stressful.

At the moment I am still looking for work in the region. If anyone has any tips, they will be most useful to me.

I'm happy I don't find a lot of the kind of people I've seen hanging around in Pattaya etc, they definitely can ruin my entire day haha.

I will visit the Dutch section of Chiang Rai I recon, I guess we are a small country with people everywhere in the world :D

Thanks again, and like I said, if you have any tips, please let me know.

Hey Bargash, welcome to Chiang Rai.

In your opening post you say that you are going to start a business in Chiang Rai. What type of business?

Then in another post you say you are looking for work. Will you not be participating in the business your and you wife will be starting in town?

Hope your move goes smoothly.

P.S. How did you come up with your Thaivisa Name?

C35B.

Might be requesting a little too much information there C35B.... :lol:

Yeah. I just found it strange that he doesnt want to hang around with the bar flies in Pattaya but has this name. LOL

I must say I also jumped to that conclusion a couple of months ago - just goes to show what sort of minds we have! There is another explanation - Bargash is a male Arabic name, so maybe BG is of Arabic or Moslem descent, not impossible for Dutch citizens, or maybe he just likes the name. BG has a few other threads which indicate that my initial assumptions were very probably wrong :-)

Might be requesting a little too much information there C35B.... :lol:

Yeah. I just found it strange that he doesnt want to hang around with the bar flies in Pattaya but has this name. LOL

I must say I also jumped to that conclusion a couple of months ago - just goes to show what sort of minds we have! There is another explanation - Bargash is a male Arabic name, so maybe BG is of Arabic or Moslem descent, not impossible for Dutch citizens, or maybe he just likes the name. BG has a few other threads which indicate that my initial assumptions were very probably wrong :-)

Hey Bargash, welcome to Chiang Rai.

In your opening post you say that you are going to start a business in Chiang Rai. What type of business?

Then in another post you say you are looking for work. Will you not be participating in the business your and you wife will be starting in town?

Hope your move goes smoothly.

C35B.

Well we want to start a business yes, however, we dont want to come over there and just "plant" a business. First I want to work there, and see what kind of opportunities are there. In the meantime, my wife will go back to the university there at which she graduated to finish her Masters within a year.

In that meantime, I am looking for a job. They pay does not have to be superhigh, because in the meantime I will do my networking and field research to see how we can contribute. So if any of you see anything, please let me know. It would not go unrewarded haha.

As for my name, now that I've looked at the word Gash, and Bar, which I never actually seperated, I can assure you that they hold no reference to any kind of bar or "gash" haha. It's a name which I have been using for years online. I just made something up and kinda stuck with it. Maybe I should change it here, however I doubt there is an option to do this without completely registering a new profile...

Thanks so much for all the replies, and it's true, I do ignore the negative feedback about Chiang Rai... Life is as good as you make it yourself :)

Hello Bargash and welcome,

chiang Rai is a super place bit it is growing rapidly,after reading you posts,i was interested in your comment ' Build networks' as you seem to be a nice guy with lots to talk about,please tell more about the networks,good luck....The Governor.

Hi Guv'nor!

What I am meaning with building networks is to get connected to like minded individuals that have started their own businesses in Chiang Rai or other places in Thailand. As I have a small network in another town already, it brings a lot of extra advantages to the table when it comes to the development of a business.

At so called networking events, there is no place for actually doing business though, we just get to know eachother, and see what we can do for eachother. Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_networking

Hope that helps ;)

• 2 months later...

Well a short update,

We will be arriving in the beginning of March. How's the weather over there now? Currently I'm in Kunming, had an amazing wedding, and now it's just lot of preparations. My visa plan changed a little as I will be going there on an ED visa. (will take thai language lessons for a year) and in the meantime setting up the company. Things are already in place and also when it comes to land etc, things are looking good. Just would also like to do some work, but I will see if I can get some potential clients already when I'm there.

Can't wait to arrive there, and I am still checking this forum quite a lot. Will keep an eye on community events, so I guess I will see some of you sooner or later.

I also would like to buy a decent scooter to get around before I get a car. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please let me know.