Fresh Eggs - Where From?

rikki

Whilst I live 400 km south of you I usually buy my eggs at the local market.

I am sure if you ask around someone will be able to tell you where the nearest one to where you live is.

I have no idea anymore about supermarkets as I haven't bought eggs there in years.

Around the corner from Don Chan Big C has some of the freshest eggs I've found. It is a small "shop" with some fridges and eggs normally bagged up at the front. They have their own farms and eggs always fresh unlike the supermarket rubbish.

Directions = go past Big C superhighway entrance, keep going and follow the road around to the left (don't go up any of those flyover thingys). Just as you get onto the road heading east, just beside a flyover coming down (I think) you will see the small shop. Its really almost on the corner but difficult to pinpoint the corner with that mess of roads.

There is also a shop with fresh eggs just west of Lanna Palace Hotel. In a shophouse just before traffic lights. Not as good as the previous but a second option.

Like the other replies, I see flats of eggs delivered daily to the open air markets. That is about as fresh as you can get.

I see packaged eggs in the super markets with packing dates on them. I never worry about the date, just buy what is available where ever I am when I want eggs.

I have never had a bad egg, expired egg, old egg, or if I did I could not tell. What is the difference? How would you tell the difference if you bought, say, a 3 day old egg instead of one delivered today? And what is delivered today is not an egg laid today, so...?

Like the other replies, I see flats of eggs delivered daily to the open air markets. That is about as fresh as you can get.

I see packaged eggs in the super markets with packing dates on them. I never worry about the date, just buy what is available where ever I am when I want eggs.

I have never had a bad egg, expired egg, old egg, or if I did I could not tell. What is the difference? How would you tell the difference if you bought, say, a 3 day old egg instead of one delivered today? And what is delivered today is not an egg laid today, so...?

You would know if you've had a bad egg, well MY stomach would definitely know, it's not nice!!

The art of it is to submerge the egg in cold water and if it stays at the bottom then it's good, if it floats then throw it away. The fresher the egg the more it will stay flat on the bottom of the water, once the tip of the egg starts to turn upwards then it needs using soon.

My experience thus far is that eggs at the local market are far fresher than at supermarkets (big c extra and tesco). Don't know if that holds true as a rule or just bad luck on my part.

Only thing that worries me about the markets is them sat there in the heat. Rimping's eggs seem hit n miss, freerange or whatever. Spose the supplier can put whatever date they want on the carton, and actual packing date doesn't mean squat anyway unless it's right out of hen into carton. One thing I do miss is seriously good eggs and bread, oh, and beer. :)

We get eggs from our own hens but I certainly can't tell a difference in taste between one day or one week.

I've got to admit that all eggs pretty much taste the same to me. :ermm:

A couple of times I made hard boiled eggs from freshly bought eggs from stores, they tasted better especially the yolk. I suppose those were fresher ones?

When I was about 10 I once lived in my relative's chicken farm during school holiday. I ate 18 cracked eggs one morning. The taste and experience then were great! If I do it now (18 eggs) I would probably pass out the next day.

Hard boiling eggs that are not as fresh are easier to peel since gas that makes a space inside the top of the shell (hence the floating as mentioned in an above post). A fresher egg's yolk will hold together better for making sunny side up. Eggs are an incredible invention, LOL, eating a month old egg should not cause one any problems.

We get eggs from our own hens but I certainly can't tell a difference in taste between one day or one week.

I've got to admit that all eggs pretty much taste the same to me. :ermm:

A couple of times I made hard boiled eggs from freshly bought eggs from stores, they tasted better especially the yolk. I suppose those were fresher ones?

When I was about 10 I once lived in my relative's chicken farm during school holiday. I ate 18 cracked eggs one morning. The taste and experience then were great! If I do it now (18 eggs) I would probably pass out the next day.

it's indeed the taste of the yolks which makes all the difference between fresh and old eggs.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience thus far is that eggs at the local market are far fresher than at supermarkets (big c extra and tesco). Don't know if that holds true as a rule or just bad luck on my part.

Only thing that worries me about the markets is them sat there in the heat. Rimping's eggs seem hit n miss, freerange or whatever. Spose the supplier can put whatever date they want on the carton, and actual packing date doesn't mean squat anyway unless it's right out of hen into carton. One thing I do miss is seriously good eggs and bread, oh, and beer. :)

<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div> Just bought eggs from the source you mention, begins with an  "R and ends in ..ping" with a "best by date" of two weeks hence. Tried the water test and all of them were old and lay on their sides, indicating that they were not fresh.

</div>

Edited by Raindancer

Around the corner from Don Chan Big C has some of the freshest eggs I've found. It is a small "shop" with some fridges and eggs normally bagged up at the front. They have their own farms and eggs always fresh unlike the supermarket rubbish.

Directions = go past Big C superhighway entrance, keep going and follow the road around to the left (don't go up any of those flyover thingys). Just as you get onto the road heading east, just beside a flyover coming down (I think) you will see the small shop. Its really almost on the corner but difficult to pinpoint the corner with that mess of roads.

There is also a shop with fresh eggs just west of Lanna Palace Hotel. In a shophouse just before traffic lights. Not as good as the previous but a second option.

Tried that place past Big c ..seems to be closed.

Edited by Raindancer

Sausage King will be doing free range chicken and duck eggs from after new year,we have a range of dutch and polish chickens and ducks to produce nice free range eggs to complement our sk bacon.for further details pm me.Rob.

post-112062-0-36735200-1320299782_thumb.

post-112062-0-82397600-1320299947_thumb.

Edited by SausageKing

<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div> Just bought eggs from the source you mention, begins with an  "R and ends in ..ping" with a "best by date" of two weeks hence. Tried the water test and all of them were old and lay on their sides, indicating that they were not fresh.

</div>

Do you mean that the eggs laid on their sides at the bottom of the water? If so then that's the sign that they are at their best.

If they float then throw them away.

</div>

Do you mean that the eggs laid on their sides at the bottom of the water? If so then that's the sign that they are at their best.

If they float then throw them away.

You are absolutely right. I misread the internet details on eggs and how to test them. My apologies to the company I mentioned that begins with "R" and ends in ..ping. Thank you for correcting me.