Military Mobilised To Deal With Bangkok Flood

webfact

Military mobilised to deal with Bangkok flood

The Nation

The Defence Ministry will mobilise 50,000 soldiers, 1,000 vehicles and 1,000 boats to brace for worsening flood in Bangkok, spokesman Colonel Thanathip Sawangsaeng said on Thursday.

Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha chaired a meeting with top military commanders to finalise preparations on flood control in the face of run-off coinciding with high tides from Friday to Monday.

Thanathip said the military mapped out four-point plan to deal with the inundation.

In the first step, soldiers and equipment would be deployed to try to deter and divert the water flow.

In the second step, should the flood happen, all essential services, such as electricity, tap water, public communication and transport, must remain operational.

In the third step, the military will be a secondary unit in assisting the evacuation of flood victims. Science Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi is to take the primary responsibility in the matter.

The capital has designated shelters to accommodate some 10,000 flood victims located in 23 districts.

In the fourth step, the military will assist in the recovery efforts following the drainage of floodwater.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-27

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that will mightily please my friend jayboy who just four days ago wondered

""Another very odd circumstance ... is that out of an Army of 300,000 plus, only 20 to 40,000 soldiers were mobilized to do flood work. What are all the other soldiers doing?"

Edited by rubl

I'm sure that will mightily please my friend jayboy who just four days ago wondered

""Another very odd circumstance ... is that out of an Army of 300,000 plus, only 20 to 40,000 soldiers were mobilized to do flood work. What are all the other soldiers doing?"

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4787963

I'm wondering if they will mobilize all 2,500 Thai Army Generals ... they will only have to be careful not to slip from boats, the brass will take them down :)

Gee, maybe things would have gone much better with an aircraft carrier as logistical support.

As soon as they finish painting the carrier red and putting a large 'Mission Accomplished' banner with Thaksin's picture on it they'll be back

Gee, maybe things would have gone much better with an aircraft carrier as logistical support.

As soon as they finish painting the carrier red and putting a large 'Mission Accomplished' banner with Thaksin's picture on it they'll be back

Are you insinuating that the U.S. military is in the pocket of Thaksin? If so you've really gone over the deep end.

I really would like to see a list of the shelters...and a translation in English, please.

I am equipped to hold out 10 days to 2 weeks....but after that, I would love to know, where I could go, if...

Edited by DocN

It's about time that all the Thai people work hand in hand for the country.

When this crisis is all over, I hope the Thai populace would learn the lesson and pressure politicians of successive governments to work for the country on a long term basis and not just short-term populist policies which have already done great damages to what make Thailand strong. Worse are the many impending populist policies that are on their way to destroy what are remained of what make Thailand strong. Sad indeed when politicians and buffaloes exploit the populace at the expense of the country behind a facade of building a democratic and egalitarian society!

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4787963

I'm wondering if they will mobilize all 2,500 Thai Army Generals ... they will only have to be careful not to slip from boats, the brass will take them down :)

Luckily you might not find too many Thai Army generals stepping on boats and there are not too many Navy admirals.

As for the brass take them down, I wonder. Doesn't hot air helps to float :rolleyes:

In the third step, the military will be a secondary unit in assisting the evacuation of flood victims. Science Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi is to take the primary responsibility in the matter.

Given the recent performance of this guy we can presume this means every man for themselves.

Are you insinuating that the U.S. military is in the pocket of Thaksin? If so you've really gone over the deep end.

stranger things have happened! :-)

stranger things have happened! :-)

All of Thaksins hundreds of millions couldn't even purchase a 1 week personal cruise on a destroyer.

His net worth and global influence with the U.S. is peanuts.

I thought I had previously read that Yingluck wasn't asking for the military to assist and was relying on police. I had got the impression she didn't want the military to take advantage of the situation and seize control. Interesting that this article doesn't even mention her name.

A day late and a dollar short.

Better late than never, especially when you have incompetentgovernment

Any good and smart government will use all the resourcesthey can get to divert any disaster

Edited by givenall

Given the recent performance of this guy we can presume this means every man for themselves.

"Finally, a man with a positve plan" I was thinking to myself until I came to that third step.

Never mind, he has 1,000 boats, the Army will have 1,000 boats, so evacuation solved.

It all sounded good until

This is the guy that wanted to serve up exotic cuisine at a zoo in a gourmet feast; who proposed and wasted our time with 100 boats churning up mud and doing nothing at the mouth of the river....

Of all the MPs in all the klongs of Bangkok, we have to have this one.

<deleted>...the guy doesn't know anything.

It all sounded good until

This is the guy that wanted to serve up exotic cuisine at a zoo in a gourmet feast; who proposed and wasted our time with 100 boats churning up mud and doing nothing at the mouth of the river....

Of all the MPs in all the klongs of Bangkok, we have to have this one.

<deleted>...the guy doesn't know anything.

Just saw a scene on Channel3 news suggesting those boats are still at it, somewhere near a bridge, but don't know which one :ermm:

They have got one, but apparently it's a bit heavy on fuel and on the wrong coast. Also, it might be a bit embarrassing if it broke down somewhere around Singapore and they had to tow it home.

The military will mobilize 1000 vehicles? What exactly are they mobilizing? The generals' fleet of mercedes? Seriously, the army doesn't have that many trucks. Just what are the small "jeeps", tanks and APCs going to do? Has anyone looked at the motor pool inventory for the Thai army? This suggests tome that resources are being diverted from other flood crisis zones to Bangkok. Understandable, but the news source gives the impression that somehow new vehicles have been sourced. There are a limited number of heavy trucks available for army use, unless the army is taking over private fleets of vehicles?

The military will mobilize 1000 vehicles? What exactly are they mobilizing? The generals' fleet of mercedes? Seriously, the army doesn't have that many trucks. Just what are the small "jeeps", tanks and APCs going to do? Has anyone looked at the motor pool inventory for the Thai army? This suggests tome that resources are being diverted from other flood crisis zones to Bangkok. Understandable, but the news source gives the impression that somehow new vehicles have been sourced. There are a limited number of heavy trucks available for army use, unless the army is taking over private fleets of vehicles?

The Defence Minister most likely with permission of PM Yingluck has ordered the Armed Forces to mobilise 50,000 with truck and boats and whatever. In a "can do" spirit and with "ours is not to reason why, ours is just to do" we'll do it. Give it our best try, help our fellow Thai.

So tell me, dear GKid, what's your problem :ermm:

How would that work? Just what would this aircraft carrier do?

Fresh water, tents, supplies, first aid, additional medical staff, evacuations, additional boats, vehicles, helicopters, generators if needed, the list is really endless for those who understand the logistics of an aircraft carrier and what it has as stocks to support troops anywhere in the world on a moments notice..

t) and can accommodate 6,250 crewmembers. Its four distilling units can make 400,000 U.S. gallons (1,500,000 L) of potable water a day; its food service divisions serve 18,000 meals per day

USS George Washington

Some people just don't get it, this is not an over night tragedy nor is it localized there is going to be country wide food shortages, fuel shortages it's impossible to list all that is going to be effected for months to come no one is going to be insulated..